I hate PC viruses

m00n

m00n,

I'm with on having a case of the red @ss over it. If these people who write this trash would apply themselves to something constructive, I'm convinced they could make a decent living.

I've just gotten to the place after having spent hours and hours over months trying to undo all the mess unleashed that I gave up on a repair and did a reformat to clean everything off.

There is at least a little satisfaction in answering "Y" to the question: All data will be lost on reformated drive c: do you wish to continue? 7.gif

Hope you can recover any data you really need.

Before you try reinstalling I found some information you might find helpful. It appears the problems you are having are caused by a virus that makes changes to the registry and if removed without fixing the registry exe files among other things will be broken. There is a site that has a script file you can run to fix the registry making exe files work again. The script is called fixswen.inf Here is the link to the site that has more information:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100662.htm#RemovalInstructions

hope this helps

Our kids friends ruined my wife's computer. I think www.ebaum.com was the culprit but I cannot be certain. I had to buy a new hard drive and install all the software again then drag all the files over to the new drive. It took around five hours. They are relegated to using a Mac now.

Yea, it's frustrating but when you are using software that is layered on a base program that is 23 years old (DOS), what can you expect? Windows is one giant leviathan with so much complexity built on utter simplicity, it just a matter of time until the whole program has to be scrapped, IMO. However, people have been saying that for many years.

Get yourself a new HD. Face it, you're screwed and you will spend more time trying to fix it than to just buy a new drive and reload. DON'T WIPE YOUR OLD UNTIL YOU HAVE EVERY STINKING FILE TRANSFERRED OVER.

Real confidence builder, aren't I? 15.gif

Ok putter "experts",stop talking about floppies,where are we in 1990? A serious putter user should always have an extra PC,a PC kept up to date(virus definition wise).

I have an older P3 1Ghz just conected to the net with Grisoft's AVG anti virus.When my main PC's bite some dust I disconect the HD,connect to my P3 and scan the drive and remove the viruses.

If you have only one PC home,and your PC is seriously infected(virus disabled and browser corrupted)your little diskettes and anti virus CD are not of much use.If any more hard core virus hits you you are cooked(need another PC with the most up to date and trust worthy anti-virus program).Unless you have no important data and are ready to use KILLMBR command and reinstall formatting the main partition and reinstalling the OS and anti-virus.

----------------

On 9/28/2004 10:00:43 PM Cleve wrote:

----------------

On 9/28/2004 9:34:04 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Been there done that. It's no fun to have to reformat the hard disc and start again is it?

----------------

No virus should require all that. Just install Norton Internet Security 2003 or newer - there's no WAY Norton can't find and eliminate this virus. It's well worth the 30 or 40 bucks. I have had NIS for 18 months, and have had ZERO problems with viruses.

----------------

Sorry...but this...

"No virus should require all that. Just install Norton Internet Security 2003 or newer - there's no WAY Norton can't find and eliminate this virus. It's well worth the 30 or 40 bucks. I have had NIS for 18 months, and have had ZERO problems with viruses. "

Is wrong.there are a few viruses Norton is uncapable of removing them and some even will render the disk...not bootable unless removed with a better anti-virus program(that is as always up to date).

Norton is far from the best anti-virus,and Grisoft's AVG bests norton,and Norton Corporate in some cases!I know I fixed virus related problems on 1000's of machines,yes 1000's.I saw from mild problems to cases where Norton froze on the scan machine and could not do jack.

----------------

On 9/28/2004 10:33:27 PM lynnm wrote:

m00n

Take a deep breath !

Now then do you know the name of the virus that has attacked your PC ?

Run a search on Google for start.exe

Start.exe is not a normal component of Windows.Although such a file may be installed by a legitimate program the odds are that if you have that file it is virus or browser hijack related.

Download and run Adaware from this site:

----------------

Good point,most of today's problems come from SPYWARE..and related browser hijacker programms running in the back and stealing CPU cycles and slowing down even the fastest PC's to snail like pace.

AD-AWARE is a great little program to get rid of 99.99% of all spywares.I use AD-AWARE PRO and it works like a charm

moon,

the firewall on your linksys router will not stop viruses or any kind of spyware from attacking your computer. Only because it will allow anything through your routers port 80 (internet port). If you are using IE try using a different browser like Opera, Mozilla. If you use IE you need to disable some of the features that it uses to display web pages.

The Ear is right. We use Symantec Corporate AV at work, plus our email is scanned by another isp we use before hitting our college campus. We used Trend Micro for our email too. Some things get through anyway. With 1500 users on our system it's rough.

If you can get online you can also go to housecall.trendmicro.com and do a free online scan. It has found things that Symantec has missed.

Marvel

I just used the Housecall online scan you pointed out.

I thought I was gonna get lucky, but....

TROJ ACHUM.A non-cleanable C:\WINDOWS\MSMGT.EXE

It won't clean or delete because it's in use.

This PC has had serious problems with physical memory dumps,(blue error screens indicating physical memory dumps). Then it restarts, or it will just sit there with no signal to the monitor at all.

You'll be browsing or doing something and "Blink!"

Replaced the mother-board and replaced and upgraded the memory card. But all in all, the hardware replacement probably wasn't the problem.

Is this a kill and re-boot problem?

I hate Peecee's.......

----------------

On 10/2/2004 1:40:46 PM mike stehr wrote:

I just used the Housecall online scan you pointed out.

I thought I was gonna get lucky, but....

TROJ ACHUM.A non-cleanable C:WINDOWSMSMGT.EXE

It won't clean or delete because it's in use.

This PC has had serious problems with physical memory dumps,(blue error screens indicating physical memory dumps). Then it restarts, or it will just sit there with no signal to the monitor at all.

You'll be browsing or doing something and "Blink!"

Replaced the mother-board and replaced and upgraded the memory card. But all in all, the hardware replacement probably wasn't the problem.

Is this a kill and re-boot problem?

I hate Peecee's.......

----------------

My guess is the trick is to access the file without running anything from the folder it's lodged in.

Check my earlier post, what I suggested might work for you. This is very similar to what happened to me, the bad file took up lodging in Windows system files and couldn't be accessed while Windows was running.

By booting into a Linux demo CD-ROM, I kept Windows asleep. Found the nasty file using the Linux file manager and deleted it. Clean PC.