A matter of taste...

Erik Mandaville

I have had the Wright 2A3 monoblocks in the system for about an hour. I had an initial reservation in powering up one amp, since two pins on the top of the 2A3 socket showed signs of burning, possibly being caused by inserting the tube backwards -- not really sure, or some other internal short circuit. But filaments are glowing properly, and I'm using 5Y3 rectifiers and EH 6SN7s. They have a beautiful midrange quality, and, despite the fact that there is not a hum-null pot, both amps are as quiet as both my Moondogs and modified Horus monoblocks. Really very, very nice! We are listening to Albinoni Adagios, and they sound wonderful. I am finding the bass slightly lower in output than my parafeed amps, but have bumped the bass up very slightly on the PAT 4. It is more neutral than my own preamp, so wanted to use it to audition these great little monoblocks. I would LOVE a pair for myself, and then just forget about building for awhile and enjoy.

All of this is, of course, mentioned as my own personal opinion.

Erik

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know I'm going to get blasted for this but I just for the life of me can not figure what some people expect/want out of your musical experience. I'm not trying to be nasty here but to me these amps unless done to the absolute extreme sound totally anemic and lifeless. Even built to a extreme the still polite sound they produce quickly wears off on me in a few days. Is it that some people just prefer there system to be overly polite compared to me ? I just do not get it. Some use the word transparent which completely boggles me. To me transparent would be what is pumped in comes out the other side. This is absolutely not the case with these low powered amps and some that have rolled through here this is extreme. There low end response and top end response are extremely limited this being the case measured at 1/2 watt or there max output. I can prove this with a test eqiupment which may not be the way to judge them as a final taste issue but it surely gives me a idea what some folks are after. Again I just don't get it.

Craig

Exactly.

I know I'm going to get blasted for this...

Count on it. I'll start: You're a freaking Redneck, lacking in sophistication and culture. Hell, you have no manners, so how in the Hell can you expect to relate to anything polite.9.gif

"...these amps...sound totally anemic and lifeless...."

Compared to what we are used to and like -- they are. That is to say, to US they sound that way. However, others apparently really go for the creamy smooth signature of these amps. These people probably think that what we like is a bit brash -- even though that certainly isn't what we think we are hearing. I think it's simply a matter of perception. I really think it's like two people comparing tastes in food.

Some use the word "transparent" which completely boggles me. To me, "transparent" would be what is pumped in comes out the other side."

I'm starting to wonder if that word means different things to different people. To you and me, it means "accurate", and that the signature of a particular piece of gear isn't burying the positive attributes being delivered by the rest of the system. To SET users, it means something else. I know they talk about "see through quality", but ironically -- I think that's what I heard through my QUADs, not the Wrights. I have to admit, I'm not sure what they're hearing either, but that doesn't nullify the fact that they find something appealing in the sound that we don't.

"...their low end response and top end response are extremely limited..."

Which leaves mostly the midrange -- standing out there stark naked.

Let's spend keystrokes talking about, and trying to explain what we are hearing -- instead of why one type of amp is "better" than another -- which is really a complete waste of time. I really don't want another idiotic thread on our hands.

I don't know Craig, you used the word "pumped" in that other context, but it made me think: Doesn't it seem like our tunes are "pumped" out, and that with the SET amps we've heard -- the tunes kind of "flow" out? Well, O.K. -- more like dribble out? 9.gif ONLY KIDDING!

Who really gives a f_ck what someone else likes? Unless you paid for it of course .

Personally, I enjoy the headroom that I have with my higher powered tube monos. But that's JMO. Everyone has theirs.

I like women. Some men like other men. I for the life of me don't get that one. But that's a choice, just like amps.

----------------

On 10/10/2004 3:17:49 PM mike stehr wrote:

Audio is a hobby based on preferences, and musical tastes.....

What's to get?----------------

Mike,

You have to remember I have to look at this from more then one angle. I have to try to understand my customers wants and needs. It's a hobby and a business to me.

Craig

"Some men like other men. I for the life of me don't get that one. But that's a choice, just like amps."

Tom, I'm sure Craig would be willing to spend some time with you to help you understand this better. As you well know, he is very accomodating, and will bend over backwards for just about anyone.9.gif9.gif

I am not sure if this 'see-through-quality' is really the result of amp topology. Isn't it perhaps more the 'soundstage' created by an amp? For example my MC30's seem to have more front-back-prespective than the Marantz which throws a wide, but less deep soundstage. The SE OTL is different again in that it has a different 'tone' and yet another way of making me believe I can 'see' the room/hall the music was recorded in. I am not technically informed enough to know where these different 'soundstages' come from, but similar differences are 'created' by, for example, different CD players. I guess there is more to it than just PP vs SET....or 1.5 vs 50 watts 2.gif .

Wolfram

----------------

On 10/10/2004 4:03:08 PM Piranha wrote:

Who really gives a f_ck what someone else likes?

----------------

It makes sense in an audio forum to talk about likes and dislikes of particular audio equipment. But for some reason the SET people are into proselytizing more than any other amp people. Not just here either, but also at AudioAsylum, where a separate board had to be created for SET guys since they caused so much trouble.

I found the Wrights to be the absolute worst amps I have ever had the misfortune to listen to, bar none. Wait, I'm forgetting the Welbornes. Well, one or the other, neither was remotely passable. Others swear by them, and never the twain shall meet.

I would love to hear a pair in my system so I could get in on these fascinating conversations. The only set amps I ever heard (with cornwalls) were a pair of Dareds which I'm told are not of very high quality. I thought they sounded dull at best. The owner thought they were fantastic.

If anyone wants to send a pair of their fleas out for an unbiased opinion, I'm more than willing to give them an audition.9.gif

Gary,

It's like this, I've discovered. No matter what SET amp you listen to, and are disappointed with, some SET fanatic is always going to make an excuse for it. You didn't hear the right model, it didn't have the right solder in it, it was a Thursday, blah blah blah. The fact is if you are completely and totally turned turned off by one SET amp, you're not likely to change your mind because another one uses a MagicQuest transformer in it.

Only if you can stand the general limitations of the low-watt SET presentation is there any point in going on to the more nuanced refinements.

"I know I'm going to get blasted for this but I just for the life of me can not figure what some people expect/want out of your musical experience. I'm not trying to be nasty here but to me these amps unless done to the absolute extreme sound totally anemic and lifeless. Even built to a extreme the still polite sound they produce quickly wears off on me in a few days. Is it that some people just prefer there system to be overly polite compared to me ? I just do not get it. Some use the word transparent which completely boggles me. To me transparent would be what is pumped in comes out the other side. This is absolutely not the case with these low powered amps and some that have rolled through here this is extreme. There low end response and top end response are extremely limited this being the case measured at 1/2 watt or there max output. I can prove this with a test eqiupment which may not be the way to judge them as a final taste issue but it surely gives me a idea what some folks are after. Again I just don't get it."

Craig, now I know why you can't stand on the same ground with the liberals.

BTW, If I were Erik (a well respected member of this forum), I would take your post as an insult.

Guest Anonymous

IMHO there is a place for SET/and a place for PP, I happen to like them both, and have not found the right balance, so whats a guy to do?6.gif3.gif Have both for the best of all worlds, I have the Cardinal X1's with 12.5 watts of set "magic"/and a pair of vrd's with 60 watts of balls....both sound great, both sound different. SET for nighttime listening and PP for morning work outs, works for me10.gif BTW for my and my corns, 2A3's did not do it, BUT the WE 300B's with the Cards is mighty hard to beat. Great job by Craig BTW on the VRD's...cept I gots a humm in one, needs Craigs massaging2.gif cause it seems Craig is trying to keep me smilin with a hum job2.gif3.gif6.gif