Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Oct 11

thebes

Good stuff last week. Edwin checked in so his Klipsch T-Shirt will shortly be on its way to Australia.

So what do you have to share this week?

Format is simple. Name of artists/group, style of music as best you can (jazz, blues etc.), whether its's a cd or lp and any comments you wish to share.

As usual I'll start it off with:

My very bestest recent discovery:

Marianne Faithfull "Blazing Away", cd rock/blues, Live, Island Records

I can't praise this cd enough. Maryanne Faithful was a 60's pop queen and girlfriend of Mick Jager. Over ther years she smoked to many butts and picked up a nasty heroin habit, which she later kicked. Recorded in 1990 at St. Anne's Cathedral (London?) her voice had reached it's peak of throaty power.

Her backup band is absolutely stellar, she sings several songs she wrote with and without Mick including Sister Morphine and the recording quality is one of the best I've ever heard. The first two tracks don't really get you going but by the time she's through "Guilty" you are sucked in big time. 20 stars out of 10. You may never get a better recommendation from, so find this soonest.

Damien Rice "O" CD - Irish singer/songwriter....amazing music and sonics, will literally give you goosebumps in some passages

Brian Bromberg - "Jaco" on cd or even better DVD-A..Jazz bassist revisits the best of Jaco Pastorius...excellent

A throwback here...10CC - "Deceptive Bends" CD Remastered..."Feel the Benefit" may be one of the coolest songs ever written

That's what's been on my system the past couple of days....everyone have a great week!

Thats an interesting comment thebes.

Now that I have RF-7s and the best set-up Ive ever owned, I now sometimes listen to music that isnt necessarily my favorite but just because its an excellent recording, it sounds sooooooo good with my speakers. Some modern pop style Spanish acoustic guitar music I have, that must be recorded in high tech studios in Spain, sounds incredible.

congrats on the NO LIFE title, Wheelman! I'll get those CD's to ya soon, my router is down and I wanted to dub some more stuff on the iMac prior to starting the recording session. It's soooo much easier when your software goes to internet and downloads song and artist info for ya automatically.

This week's cool tunes from Michael include:

Led Zeppelin How the West was Won, don't confuse this with the recently released Led Zep DVD box set. HTWWW is a TRIPLE CD of an entire California concert which is NOT on the DVD. Great song mix and fantastic set.

Also Mick Ronson Heaven and Hull (from Hull, the town where he was born), ex Bowie Spiders from Mars, ex Mott the Hoople, ex studio musician. Whilst passing away from liver failure, a bunch of ex bandmates put this recording session together and the guitar parts are simply searing. esp notable are 'Don't look Down' a song about the process of death and a rousing 'All the Young Dudes' with Ian Hunter.

My mini-review was at the tail end of last week's thread, too. I will copy it here (and will do so every week until I get that damn t-shirt):

Todd Rundgren's latest, "Liars," on CD (there's a multi-channel DVD-A out, too). Very well mastered, it's classic Todd. Pop/rock, some techno, great melodic balladry. Any fan of Rundgren should love it, and for those unfamiliar with his work (do those folks exist??), this would be a good intro, and a stepping stone towards exploring his previous works. It's been getting great reviews, too.

This CD is really growing on me...

Current re-release of James Brown's "Soul On Top." JB is backed up by the Louie Bellson Orchestra so there's a lot of big band in this recording. Some classic tunes like "It's a Man's, Man's World" and "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag." Tower has it on CD and Vinyl. I got the Vinyl and the recording is first class.

----------------

On 10/13/2004 2:38:48 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

congrats on the NO LIFE title, Wheelman! I'll get those CD's to ya soon, my router is down and I wanted to dub some more stuff on the iMac prior to starting the recording session. It's soooo much easier when your software goes to internet and downloads song and artist info for ya automatically.

This week's cool tunes from Michael include:

Led Zeppelin How the West was Won, don't confuse this with the recently released Led Zep DVD box set. HTWWW is a TRIPLE CD of an entire California concert which is NOT on the DVD. Great song mix and fantastic set.

Also Mick Ronson Heaven and Hull (from Hull, the town where he was born), ex Bowie Spiders from Mars, ex Mott the Hoople, ex studio musician. Whilst passing away from liver failure, a bunch of ex bandmates put this recording session together and the guitar parts are simply searing. esp notable are 'Don't look Down' a song about the process of death and a rousing 'All the Young Dudes' with Ian Hunter.

----------------

NO problemo. I was wondering if that Led was the same as the dvd. That's cool it isn't I will have to check that one out. Hint hint LOL.1.gif

Whilst on the DVD theme, specifically the new Led Zep set, Doncha just LOVE the way disc one has no intro, no menu until later. Just put it in and it automatically launches into Bonzo bashing the skins to the never-studio-recorded 'We're Gonna Groove' clearly a great live performance. Also look for John Henry Bonham adding a little backing vocals to Robert during a song from the Third album (I think). A roadie has a mic on a hand-held boom, sticks it in front of Bonzo for his ever-so-brief vocal interlude, then very hurridly pulls it away before the awesome drum fury starts up again! Check it out in slo-mo!

Michael

----------------

On 10/12/2004 12:04:43 PM Frank Speaker wrote:

You mean the prize includes an all expense paid trip to Australia for some lucky T-shirt?

----------------

Yeah, Frank. With the notification that I won the 'free' t-shirt, Thebes also forwarded a voucher I had to sign authorising a deduction from my credit card. This is to pay for the round trip to Australia, for Thebes and the 'twins' and a weeks paid accomodation at Surfers Paradise.

Man, I tell ya, this is one expensive t-shirt. 14.gif

I was the sponsor of an all expense paid trip to Australia a few years back, yeah, I sent myself!

What a great place, linked up with an Australian Woman I had met in Mexico, but thats another story.

Spent 5 weeks. Visited parts of the East Coast from Cairns to Tasmania.

Saw a lot of Didgeridoo players. I remember one at the Sydney Harbor telling a story about animals with his hands while he played. I brought back a David Hudson Didgeridoo CD.

Do you have any Didge recommendations edwinr?

Sadly, I don't. It's like anything you see, hear and feel everyday. You become used to it and a bit blase. It's like when we see kangaroo's hopping over our back fence.... the kids say; "Look Daddy, the kangaroo's are back". My comment; "That's nice, now eat your dinner!"

----------------

On 10/16/2004 12:39:55 AM edwinr wrote:

Sadly, I don't. It's like anything you see, hear and feel everyday. You become used to it and a bit blase. It's like when we see kangaroo's hopping over our back fence.... the kids say; "Look Daddy, the kangaroo's are back". My comment; "That's nice, now eat your dinner!"

----------------

I know what you mean. Here in Northern California, I say the same thing about Bigfoot...

----------------

On 10/16/2004 10:19:56 AM Frank Speaker wrote:

Yeah except they eat Kangaroo in Australia. Its everywhere in the grocery stores. Cant say that about Bigfoot, at least around here. Maybe I should try over in Santa Cruz.

----------------

Believe it or not, I've never tried to eat Kangaroo. I've hit a few in cars though. Boy do they make a mess of your vehicle! You can't see them. One minute the road is clear. The next thing a humungous 'roo jumps out from nowhere - no time to brake, and BAM!

Sorry, this is a bit off topic....

Well, I don't know if this one has been recommended before, but here goes:

Sergio Mendes -- Brasileiro

This is a fairly unique CD. I think it is somewhat classified as Jazz, but really has more Brazilian music in it. It does sound like there is some traditional music in there, which makes it some very interesting music.

This CD is very well recorded, and can really work out your speakers. It makes for something to show off your system with. However, beware if you own something less than Klipsch...