I AM DONE ! ! ! ! ! !

picky

Picky,

Nice choice of vodka, that's my brand. Being a "dumb guy" I would perhaps have cases of vodka and a 5.1 set-up consisting of emerson clock radios.

Just kidding...as I said before that is a nice set-up. You have actually inspired me to start thinking about an addition onto our house again (it always comes up every few months).

It's FIXED!!! 2.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif Thanks to Trey Cannon!

The Forum is now allowing me to send up photo files which I could not do since Thursday, October 14th, so I my new theater photos are photos a few posts below!!!

Also, please visit our web site and click on "Our Theater" in the left-hand column to see the latest photos.

>>>>>>>>> OUR THEATER SITE <<<<<<<<<<< Review both, Pages One & Two!!

congrats on getting your system finished. I hope to have mine finished someday. Right now though my system is all packed away.15.gif I am in the process of moving houses. I will be closing on both houses(selling and buying) next week. Maybe there will be enough money left over after buying the house that i can finially get my big screen TV. Versus the 27" I am using now. I will post pics of the setup in my new house and change my website. Again congratulations on getting finished. It looks really nice. Someday i home to make a theater out of mine too.

We can finally upload photos to the forum, so:

As promised, here are new photos of the new theater!

Per nicholtl's suggestion, when the sign scrolls by the first thing is says is "Reality Ends Here!"

10112004027.jpg

10112004029.jpg

10112004030.jpg

10112004003.jpg

10112004004.jpg

10112004005.jpg

10112004025.jpg

10112004009.jpg

10112004007.jpg

10112004011.jpg

10112004012.jpg

10112004016.jpg

10112004013.jpg

10112004014.jpg

10112004017.jpg

10112004019.jpg

10112004022.jpg

10112004024.jpg

Automated lighting control that also runs from the Pronto remote:

10112004035.jpg

That's all for now!

post-10177-13819258216684_thumb.jpg

I think since I've exhausted all my creative description in my one previous and long-winded post, all I can say is d-d-d-dayam, you've rendered me a stuttering fool.

You should think about becoming a still-photographer. You've really got quite an eye for lighting, proportion, depth, and stimulating angles. Not to mention an innate sense of the rule-of-thirds. Well done. Clap clap!

By the way, just for future reference, perhaps a bloody scene from Terminator 2 would be better suited to show off the Masterpiece Theater than a lazy and warm sunday afternoon dance at the Juliard? 3.gif

Good job Glenn, you're my new hero.

- Nick

PS - I like the idea of "Reality Ends Here" on the scroller gizmo!

Thanks, guys! I really do appreciate your comments!

nicholtl: Funny you should bring photography into the mix; I am an amateur photographer and videographer. I work in 35mm Film and digital (these photos are digital) and for motion photography I moved into miniDV about 6 years ago when it first came out. It's always nice when someone notices the difference in my work as compared with others. I really do appreciate your mention of that and my use of the rule of thirds, etc. Thanks, man! I do my own post-production editing, effects and audio in our office that is also in the basement next to the theater. Here is a picture of my editing workstation, complete with a Klipsch 5.1 Ultra surround system:

workstation1.jpg

My wife has a smaller system in the opposite corner that she likes to do genealogy (family trees) on.

"Mrs. Picky":

mrs_picky.jpg

post-10177-13819258218338_thumb.jpg

Ahh, so you ARE a photographer. Yes, it definitely shows. And your work is far above most pics people post. Personally, being a director myself, I only like 35. Digital cameras or DV to me, is just too crisp. 29.97fps isn't what the human eye is, and so that's why it always has that engrained "home video" look. Blacks aren't as black. Contrast isn't as natural. I'll always use 35mm until I die.

And it's funny, great minds must think alike because your computer setup is strikingly similar to mine...

G5.pdf

G5.pdf

nicholtl: Thanks again. I am considering a new video cam that will film in 24p mode. That will give my work a more cinemagraphic (film) look. See? Great minds DO think alike! Thank you for your "Reality Ends Here" idea for my sign. I love it! 2.gif

Oh, and one final thought. You should have another sign, but this time hanging above your editing suite. And this quote would be the one we used to have in our old moviola editing bays at school. What it said was oh so true to what every struggling editor's desperate last minute hope was...

"The Music Will Carry It."

Betacam looks more like film than DV, but that's a whole nuther story isn't it?

Nick,

Did you do your own avatar and are you into anime as well?

Picky,

What do you use to edit on? First, they are all just tools, so I wouldn't begin to bash anyone for what they use. There, now I've said it and gotten that out of the way.

I use Premiere, my daughter is currently using Avid Express. She had to use Final Cut Pro at school but didn't really like it. (I forgot, my bias is showing.) I have worked with Vegas some, but mostly for multitrack audio.

What was the plot now? Oh yeah, I started out shooting 16mm doing news and documentaries. That elusive film look.

The HT room looks great! I really hope you can enjoy it.

Marvel

Hey, I have to let you know that I would like to purchace 1 lottery ticket!! What a great job! I have been working on my house know for seven years! 5 projects at once right now. Ktchen, Theater, Two kids bedrooms, and the back yard. I would be content to just work on the theater, but I have a wife that likes to start me on several projects, and then complain because nothing is done.

So I know how excited you must be to have finished such a grand project! Congrats!!!

And by the way the Detroit Sweater is the perfect touch!!!

Nicholt: Your pic came out real fuzzy on my system-I've seen another one and you have a very neat setup. Everything looks great.

I think you and Picky must be the two neatest people on this forum. All I can say is, WOW!

I haven't made the switch to digital either. I bought Nikon 8008 when I was in college and just picked up the 80-200 f2.8ED lens this summer (for $400 in mint/brand new condition-the steal of the century!) and can't get myself to switch. I don't really do a lot of photography work or for that matter, even know the technical side behind it, but from what I've seen up until just recently 35mm had a much better quality than digital. And if I keep going like this, I'm going to hijack the thread...

Picky: I echo everything nicholt said about you and your house/theater/editing room. Stunning.

David

----------------

My wife has a smaller system in the opposite corner that she likes to do genealogy (family trees) on.

----------------

What genealogy program does she use? I also noticed the great interior photography, which I think is really hard to do well. And, your whole room and setup seem to show a great sense of design that the photography then ably brings out. Stunning, professional job!

Larry

First, thank you everyone. I am again overwhelmed by this outpouring. I cannot begin to thank you all enough for your kind words.

Second, I'll try to answer your questions:

I primarily use Adobe Premiere for NLE and Adobe After Effects for the hokus-pokus stuff. I do graphics in Adobe Photo Shop and Illustrator and also use JASC (now Corel) Paint Shop Pro. I somtimes build animations using Macromedia Flash and Fireworks. Flash exports nicely to AVI. I plan to buy an Hi-Def and Dolby surround plugin for Premiere but they are very pricey at this time ($999). I have been looking into Vegas but I know no users (perhaps Marvel could garner some info on that for me?).

nicholtl: Thanks again for yet another poignant quote ("The music will carry it")! How true!

Hardhitter: I know where you are coming from because my kids are all grown, moved out and now have their own families. I personally could not have done this with them still living at home for both logistic and monetary reasons. I admire your tenacity, however! I am proud to say that Mrs. Picky is not as you described. She is such a wonderful, uplifting person that I often ask myself why she settled for a sap like me. What a wonderful bride I am blessed with! Plus...she's a babe!11.gif Best of luck with your projects! Us "weekend warriors" must stick together!! 2.gif

Myhamish: I'd love to toast to your health with some of that Glenlevit's. Thanks.

DKP: What can I say, David. I am very flattered by your comments. Thanks, Pal! 2.gif

Larry Clare: My wife used to use Family Origins, which has now become Roots Magic.

Paul: Thanks, man!