I AM DONE ! ! ! ! ! !

picky

This room is a concept that is very near and dear to my heart!!!! A combination of bar, theater, and club.....a room for all purposes9.gif

My vision for such a room has the bar on the long wall in the rear, with the room being wider than it is long. I could roll out real theater seats then roll out of the way for an open floor - like a multipurpose party room.

Your rendition appears flawless with one exception: The jersey. Since your work is so commendable otherwise, I will not dock your work any points in this case2.gif

3.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif.

P.S.: As to how to spend your energy now, how about spending some extra time enjoying your good work? You've earned it! If that isn't satisfatory, I'll know who to call when it's theater buildin' time9.gif

picky,

Very nice! I mean, very very nicely done. Now you can really start to enjoy it! Got it insured? ;-) Again, anyone can buy components and slap together a working system, but you have taken great lengths to "make" the room! Again, love the colors. Great job!

Peace

Gosh! What can I say? I am completely overwhelmed by this unexpected out-pouring of wonderfully-warm thoughts and comments about my work from all of you. Not to get too mushy about it, this sort feels like a big "group hug" to me. I cannot begin to thank you all enough for your wonderful compliments. It's a shame we are all so scattered about the country (and world) that we can't just meet together over at my place for a Klipsch get-together. Although, even if that weren't a problem, room size would be an even bigger issue; it only seats 9 comfortably. Hey! Maybe we can hold a lottery? The first 8 winners would get to come over in the first wave, and then then next 8 winners and so on until everyone's been over. ......my wife would kill me!

My hope is that I can now help answer a lot of questions for fellow members who have not yet embarked on the construction journey. Naturally, I hold artto up as the "Grand Guru" of the Architectural genre. But, there are still things that I may be able to answer to. There are so many element s to a theater and so many "unknowns". I must have done 10 months of research on this project before I even began to tear down the old basement walls. Let me tell you this much: research is the only part of this that's free, and it may very well be the most importance aspect of the entire job. Planning is everything! Even though this project took 26 months, it went very smoothly.

I do owe a lot of thanks to a friend of mine; Jim. I'm nearly 53 years old now (Jim is several years my junior) and I have never had any carpenter skills in my entire life prior to 1990. That was the year that I decided I wanted to do an entire backyard makeover. I was originally an art student in school and then I became and automotive product designer. So I had already realized that I have been given the ability to visualize things in my mind before they are built. I spent 6 months planning and drawing up my vision for the back yard. I wanted to bring in a lot of dirt and create berms in place of the flat flower beds, install fountains and I wanted to build a cedar deck and gazebo. Jim was a friend of mine that happened to be finish carpenter and he showed me some of the basics during that job. We worked together for one month and built the deck and gazebo each day after work. Thanks to Jim, it turned out beautiful and just as I had pictured it. I took away with me from that job, certain basic skills I had gotten from Jim that I needed to motivate me into wanting to do more around the house. The completed yard took 6 months:

backyard.jpg

Next, I wanted to redesign the outside of the house without changing the basic character lines so it would still "fit" into the neighborhood of home. But I knew I wanted a fresh, new, more-modern look. I again turned to my art and design skills and this time I hired builders who were willing to work with me to bring my ideas to life. I had the, blow the gables out from flat to a 16-inch overhang and added a rock face to a portion of the front and all along the base of the house's foundation; effectively hiding the cinderblock base. The stone water sills now make the house appear to have been built on a rock base. We modernized the look further by installing taller casement windows (from Pella). The old double-hung sash windows in the front were only 48" tall. The new ones were a single light and 62" tall. I was then, able to utilize the landscaping skills I'd learned from the backyard project to move the flowerbeds in the front yard from their traditioanlly colonial position at the home's base, out into a "floating" position in the middle of the yard, thereby adding depth to the whole look. The house project took 5 months:

house_transformation.jpg

Then, we remodeled the kitchen, dining and living room area by knocking out a wall, adding soffets, etc. Again, I hired a builder that would work from my plans. But, when it came to doing the basement, I insisted on being the sole builder to hold the nail gun. Our son Bill, my brother-in-law Laun and my daughter's boyfriend Dan also gave me much-needed help when things took two, or more. But, for the most part, I worked alone on this project. I wanted it that way. I owe my success to my art and design skills, to the aforementioned gentlemen who gave me a hand when I needed it, to my lovely bride, Verna fore her encouragement and willingness for us to do such a project, to those of you on this forum who offered your advice, encouragement and opinions and finally to Jim; the man who taught me the basics I needed to even consider something of this magnitude!

More photos will follow this weekend my friends! I promise!

post-10177-13819258215814_thumb.jpg

Nice home. Good to see people remodeling those nice older homes.

You may be done with your room. Are we ever finished with our systems?????????? I thought I would be (closer to done) when I replaced all my amps with McIntosh amps. NOT.....1.gif I want a HTPC and a Lexicon MC-8. Then I'll be done (I think)..... Probably a new projector in the next 2 years..... At least I will not have to replace my amps any time soon.

JM

Picky: I stand in awe of your work, and I mean ALL of it. From the backyard landscaping to the renovation of the home to your basement theater, you are truly a master of imagination. I think I am most amazed at the difference in the facade of your home. The before and after pics have a slightly different coloration, but the after is simply stunning.

You truly have the gift of a wonderful imagination and the ability to transfer what is in your mind to a physical reality. I, on the other hand, struggle putting things together with directions!! LOL

I'll bet you've had some interesting conversations with your neighbors who have seen both the before and after with their own eyes. Nice job, Glenn.

David

dkp: Yeah, you could say I've had some "interesting conversations" with my neighbors.....

When I finished the outside of the house, I was outside mowing the lawn. One of them had the balls to come up to me and say, "Why didn't you just move? You're making the rest of us look bad!" He was serious! "No...Dude, YOU are making you look bad!" ...what a jack*ss! Some people.....

nicholtl: Since you asked about the equipment and rack, here is a photo taken prior the end of the construction, but it shows how the equipment is situated in the rack today. The rack is located at the back of the room so the equiment lights do not distract viewers. A Niles infrared repeater system allows me to still aim my remote at the screen, yet the signals are sent back to this equipment>

rack7.jpg

Thanks guys!

nicholtl: Yeah, there is 6 inches of free space above the 49TXi, not to mention a thermostatically-controlled, high capacity 10" ventilation fan. Both the TV and the clock are thin and set to the front of the 49. Neither covers any of the 49's vent holes.

----------------

On 10/12/2004 2:41:06 PM nicholtl wrote:

That is hands f_cking down, the sickest, dopest, raddest, gnarliest, sweetest, smoothest, pimpest, awesomest, craziest, colorful, inspiring, most righteous home theater room ever to grace my eyes and sear the pixels on my computer screen. Glenn, you've rendered me speechless.

----------------

Yeah, but Nick, stop beating around the bush. What do you really think?