Design of K-horns

Coytee

I've been noticing K-horns on EBAY. One thing I've noticed is some seem to be built as one "box", and others seem to have a top section that would APPEAR to be removable. It also has a 1/2 inch type gap around it.

Frankly, I think the two box design is a bit more asthetic. Be that as it may, what I've found confusing is some OLDER Khorns seem to be the two box variety, and then some newer ones seem to be that also.

I'd previously thought that the origional Khorn was the "single" box design and the later years, had the seperate box on top with the 1/2 inch gap between the two.

Is that accurate?

Did they go back/forth?

Or perhaps, did the people in the ad put out a wrong year for their speaker and that is what confused me?

What years have "two" box design verses one?

I'm confused and will let you "in the know" clear me up 1.gif

Khorns, were sold throughout the years in various types, the B-Type (1" spacer between the HF/LF sections), the C-Type (No spacer between the HF/LF sections) however the top sections are still removable, and last but not least the D-type (Decorator version) this model only came with the front motorboard in place with the horns mounted to it. This was a low cost option for people and it could be finished later if so desired.

If I am not mistaken the HF sections have been removable from all the models for quite sometime now, the only exception would be the very early models that I am unsure of.

Hope this info helps.

Ok, the upload feature is still not working here but here is a vintage image of the three types (the "B", "C" and the "D" which was originally the "U" type).

35.jpg

Like Frz mentioned all three were available throughout most of the life of the Khorn, offered at three different prices (see the 1974 price list - zip file)

I believe both the "C" and "D" model are no longer offered, but someone else would have to confirm that... with the possible date that occurred (it's relatively recent compare to the lifespan of the Klipschorn).

Later...

Rob

• 9 years later...

Ok, the upload feature is still not working here but here is a vintage image of the three types (the "B", "C" and the "D" which was originally the "U" type).

This is an old thread, but I was looking for the diagram that showed the differences between the three Khorn Types. I thought I had a copy of it but can't seem to find it now. Does anyone here have a copy they can post? Thanks.

I remember those prices, I first heard Khorns at Sound Systems Inc. Fayettville N.C. on Mcphearson church road. Long gone now but at the time they were the best high end sound shop in town. Oh how I drooled on the thought of buying them along with a Mcintosh 225 that was hooked to them in the high end room.

Now, I don't even know of a shop to go listen to better than consumer grade gear. Sad.