Cardinal Nation Apologizes

cjgeraci

I just want to apologize from Cardinal nation for our team's pathetic performance in this year's world series. It was downright embarrassing. I do not mean to take anything away from the Red Sox's performance. They pitched well and hit the smack out of the ball. They deserved the series.

However, it would have been nice had our team actually showed up. For those of you who missed it, the Cardinals had outstanding series with the Dodgers and Astros. But, one hit in the series for the 4,5, and 6 hitters??? Not one of our pitchers escaping the first inning unscathed??? The national sportswriters have it right; the team that dominated all year - went into a shell and played (worse than) little league ball - at the wrong time.

This one will take a long time to get over in St. Louis. On the bright side, since last night's game ended in Boston lifting its "curse," maybe the rest of the nation will eventually forget how poorly we played. 8.gif

Maybe the Rams should get some consolation. This was worse for us than the debacle against the Patriots.

Carl.

The morning after, as a Red Sox fan, I'm kinda feeling a bit let-down. I was really looking forward to some drama in this series. It's one thing to be swept in 4 dramatic games, something completely different to be just shut down the whole series. The only really fun game to watch was Game 1, and the Sox did a very effective job of keeping the Cards in that one the whole night.

Admittedly, I was -- and am -- a Cardinals supporter: but we stunk up the place.

Regarding the "curse", I actually think it was more of a uniting element among Red Sox fans then winning a mere World Series will ever be. There was never a sufficiently dramatic manner in which to end it and, now, everyone is let down...

I'm not saying the curse was good, per se, but talk about getting the fan base all on the same page!

I applaud the Cardinals.

Come on there wasn't a gam that was even close t being a blow out. Both sides had absolutely AWESOME pitching. Both teams had their share of mistakes. To get down on the Cards is terrible disservice to them.

Both teams pithcers had the Best batters standing at the plate guessing at pitches. It came down to which team had the one best inning of the game. When the Cards were in trouble, bases loaded or 2nd and third, the Cards pitchers came thru.

Though the Cards lost you should be proud of your team. As a Sox fan, there wasn't a moment in any game that I felt as if the tables could suddenly turn in the other teams favor.

St Louis should be celebrating a great season and for the pennant. The deserve a parade as do the Red Sox. Well maybe a smaller parade than the redsox get but still they deserve a great deal of credit and support from their fans......

----------------

On 10/28/2004 3:41:04 PM Bruinsrme wrote:

I applaud the Cardinals.

Come on there wasn't a gam that was even close t being a blow out. Both sides had absolutely AWESOME pitching. Both teams had their share of mistakes. To get down on the Cards is terrible disservice to them.

Both teams pithcers had the Best batters standing at the plate guessing at pitches. It came down to which team had the one best inning of the game. When the Cards were in trouble, bases loaded or 2nd and third, the Cards pitchers came thru.

Though the Cards lost you should be proud of your team. As a Sox fan, there wasn't a moment in any game that I felt as if the tables could suddenly turn in the other teams favor.

St Louis should be celebrating a great season and for the pennant. The deserve a parade as do the Red Sox. Well maybe a smaller parade than the redsox get but still they deserve a great deal of credit and support from their fans......

----------------

Scott, we do support the Cardinals, but this performance was pretty tough to take. This was more than just us making a couple of mistakes. Our performance in the series was night and day different from the rest of the season and the other series. Let me also add "perplexed" to the other emotions that people are feeling in this town.

Additionally, our pitching was not Awesome. To the contrary, our pitching stunk. The stat going into game four was something like the Red Sox batters only missed 14 times when they swung at our pitches. That means all of the remaining pitches they at least made contact with - that is not good. Not one of our starters made it out of the first inning without getting scored upon, and we never, ever had the lead in the series. Not once. And for games 2-4, when we had such difficulty in hitting the ball, much less scoring runs, getting behind early kills any type of momentum - it automatically swings it back to the opposing team, right off the bat. And sure, games two through four were not complete blow-outs, but we had an incredible amount of offensive futility. Nothing, nada. Except for Larry Walker, that is. I know Boston fans enjoyed the series, and they should have, but every game was sheer agony for us.

The final nail in the coffin was the look on our players' faces and our manager's face (and body language) from the start of game four on. It looked as though they knew they were beaten (ok - after the first four pitches - and the first home run). Our local media noticed this also and has been talking about that today.

But, I hear you. Ya, we should be proud our team won the pennant, etc.

However, the pulse of the town does not feel that way today. Maybe give us time.

Carl.

Hello:

There IS nothing wrong in losing. I know they are words, but to come to the World Series - not easy.

It could be worse. You could live in Buffalo, Rochester or points between and be a Buffalo Bills fan.

Or you could be an NHL fan (sorry Picky) you would have zip to watch.

The Cardinals can hold their heads high. That's better than a lot of teams.

dodger

you all need the perspective of a lifelong, and still devoted, Cub fan.....whether you won or lost, you were there, and that is more than some of us have to celebrate....enjoy the moment, hope for next year, and know that as long as we the Cub nation are out here, someone feels more agony than you do....

Carl, it is time to become a St. Louis U. Billikens fan2.gif

I can take some consolation that we lost to a team that fought through a lot of adversity, the Yankees, and really got it together when their backs were against the wall. The BOsox were class, so we can walk off admitting we got our arses spanked and leave it at that.

I think it would have been a better series if anyone outside Larry Walker had brought their bat, but dominant pitching will carry the day in a short series, and St. Louis had most of our starting pitching injured or AWOL.

I lived out in Maine, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island for close to four years, so I know how much youse fans can appreciate this win. Enjoy it, for it might not happen for another 80 years.2.gif9.gif

I know the place I would can't afford another World Series run. To esitmate over the last 3 weeks the bsiness lost 50% productivity would be an underestimation at best. People nodding off was acceptable, not being prepared for a meeting with the excuse of watching the game was accepted,going home early to catch a nap before the game was expected, coming in late with a large coffee instead of a medium was the nor. there were so few people in work Thursday, one of the cafeterias was closed and the other did about 33% of a normal day. the funny thing was the amount of coffee sold was equal to a day of a full compliment of staff.

Exciting times for Sox fans.

I'm a very pleased Red Sox fan, but have always liked the Cards, especially during the White Rat era, and of course when Big Mac was there. The problem with the Cards is Tony LaRussa, possibly the most overrated manager in baseball history. His roster construction was pathetic, he had no legit bats on the bench (Marlon Anderson as a DH!), didn't manage the pen particularly well, and didn't play aggresviely enough once he got in the hole. He has also got to be the most morose manager I've ever seen. He press conference after Game 3 was all but a concedence speech.

LaRussa has been to the playoffs 10 times with some of the most powerful teams in the last 30 years, the 88-90 A's, and this year Cards, and only won one W.S. And even that was marred by the San Francisco earthquake. LaRussa, as he showed in this series, manages in the post season like he does in the regular season, and that just doesn't work.

I have never really been a fan of LaRussa, and you make a good point. After Game three, he should have tried SOMETHING different to shake this team out of its funk. As Buck & McCarver noted prior to the Game 4 start, Marquis has been terrible in the post-season, and he had other options for the "elimination" game (many in St.Louis were calling for Heron to start). Additionally, if your 4-7 hitters are 1-forever.

Shake things up a bit. Move Larry Walker down to Rolen or Edmond's spot because he was the one player that was getting multiple-base hits. Some local sportscaster here said that LaRussa did not want to do that because it would make the team look desperate. Well, yes we were - down 0-3, by that point. Instead, LaRussa just waited for us to break out of our slump - assuming we would.

Additionally, not having someone up in the bullpen the first sign of Marquis' trouble was *&%^$@! After Marquis put the first person on (or at least the second) in the third, get someone up, and get him out of there. It was only 1-0 by that point.

Dave: I am looking forward to the Billiken's season. Great coach - fine gentleman.

Carl.