Headphones

naitman

----------------

On 11/2/2004 2:37:57 AM naitman wrote:

To all you audiophiles, just curious what's your choice of headphones when you want enjoy your music privately? Brand and model? Thanks.

----------------

As I have used them since my early days of recording, Koss Pro 4AA.

I also have Sennheiser HD 275 (up for sale, used about an hour, with box, and a pair of Koss 80s.

dodger

KOSS PRO4AA.

However, my wife is going to get me a new pair for Christmas. She says just pick a pair and she will order them. I work with this guy who is an audio fusspot(and I mean really fussy) who has returned many headphones except for one - the Etymotic 4P. I am really leaning heavily towards that one.

The Etymotic will give me the isolation plus the incredible detail.

I did go to a couple of audio stores here in NYC and listen to all the headphones available. Of course the Etymotic (in ear) is not one you can sample. Clearly, the Sennheiser HD600 was the best one I heard. I can't buy the Senns because I need a closed headphone for when I listen in bed. Hence the Etymotic 4P.

----------------

On 11/2/2004 8:52:29 AM arthurs wrote:

Senn HD600's here, driven by a rega EAR HP Amp, heaven....

----------------

I second that,Sennheiser's HD600 and a quality headphone amp = MUSICAL NIRVANA minus the full body effect of a high end speaker system and amp.

I have the Sennheiser HD600's and the HeadRoom MAX combo 9.gif GOOOOD

I also have the Sennheiser Ovation HD565,HD580.In Grado I have the SR325 and the RS1.

The RS1 is probably the very best headphones you can buy if you do not have a dedicated headphone amp.

But when paired with a quality headphone amp the HD600 or HD650 is at the top of the non electrostatic mountain.

I have used Sennheiser for years, great German Co. but have found there is another German Co. that is awesome, used alot in Studios, either recording or Radio Stations are AKG. I use the K141 Monitors, not the K240's as used in the studios. I find the sound quality is very different for a headphone designed for a studio as opposed to listening at home in trying them out, IMO, for $200 an awesome headset...10.gif

One of my first sets, and heard my brothers in the 70\80's is KOSS, nice, 10.gif

as for a headphone amp, Musical Fidelity out of the UK has a sweet piece in the X-CANV2, don't use it myself, no need to IMO with a quality system, but I do use their phono preamp in the XLPS for my Marantz turntable...10.gif

tell you what, to get all your questions answered go to headroom .com, they are an geek site dedicated to headphones, i have the sennheiser hd650's couples with a musical fidelity amp and it is as they have said nirvana, also grado has great cans, the rs 60 go for about 70 dollars and can be played very very well without amp, grado has great cans, but a bit weak in the lower end compared with senn, plus grado is very fast and detailed, wheras senn is very laid back and more detailed, senn is as many many have said, the worlds best cans