Universal Remotes

n2dablue

I am having trouble digging though all the crapola looking for a universal with the following, anyone have a suggestion?

*Backlit (not glow in the dark)

*Learning

*Directional buttons for dvd menus

*Halfway fair price

Will be using on a Sharp 27" TV, Denon DRA-835 receiver, and a Pioneer DVD/SACD player. (plus whatever stuff I buy later3.gif )

• Like 1

----------------

On 11/2/2004 11:09:03 PM n2dablue wrote:

I am having trouble digging though all the crapola looking for a universal with the following, anyone have a suggestion?

*Backlit (not glow in the dark)

*Learning

*Directional buttons for dvd menus

*Halfway fair price

Will be using on a Sharp 27" TV, Denon DRA-835 receiver, and a Pioneer DVD/SACD player. (plus whatever stuff I buy later
3.gif
)

----------------

I am in the same boat as you, so I am curious myself. I'll admit that the remote that came with my Denon AVR3802 is actually pretty decent, with full learning capabilities and back-lit buttons. I just gotta find the time to sit down and actually program the damn thing. With the weather supposed to be crap this weekend here, perhaps that'll make a good project.

May I suggest checking out www.remotecentral.com? Everything and anything you ever care to know about remotes.

Yup remote central is the place to be

I cut to the chase and picked up a used Pronto a little while back (a B/W model after they released the colour units). It does it all, BUT requires quite a bit of time to customize if you want get the most out of it.

Rob

Personally, I plan to purchase the Home Theater Master MX600. It's not overly complex and it has one feature I really need - it is RF.

My seating position is forward of my equipment rack. So an IF remote would do me no good. With the MX600 (and it's included repeater), I can control my equipment from anywhere in the room. And the price isn't too bad. Around 150 bucks I think.

Anyhow...I'd suggest giving it a look-see.

Tom

I love my Phillips Pronto TSU-3000. It's easy to design the screens and program through my computer using the USB docking station, which also recharges the unit's battery. It is both RF and Infrared capable and it never seems to let me down. For all that it does, I consider it very affordable. I found mine on EBAY a year ago.

----------------

On 11/3/2004 2:17:43 AM formica wrote:

I cut to the chase and picked up a used
Pronto
a little while back (a B/W model after they released the colour units). It does it all, BUT requires quite a bit of time to customize if you want get the most out of it.

Rob
----------------

Rob-I am picking up my new (used) equipment tonight which includes a Chad remote. I believe the Chad is made by Integra, but is also marketed under the Pronto name. How do you like yours?

David

----------------

On 11/4/2004 2:39:44 PM picky wrote:

dkp:
Don't hang that thing on the wall, David! Otherwise, it'll be a hanging Chad!
2.gif9.gif14.gif
----------------

hahahahaha!!! Where ya been, Mr. Picky?!

Looks like the hockey season will be lost in another month or so... 15.gif

I'm a big fan of my Sony (RM-AV3000, I think.) Mucho programmable, touchscreen makes it really easy to use, though it's a bit large. Macros and learning functions are super easy to set up. Even has timers. As in, "Yes hon, we can watch this movie you've seen three times, but I'm programming the remote to switch it when the game comes on" timer. For under a hundred bucks, you can't beat it. After I got mine, I bought two more for my father-in-law and a friend.

I've got a Home Theater Master MX-500. I love it. It does take a little effort to program it, but so far I've not found a function for any component it can't handle. Plus, they can be found for around 100 bucks or so, and they aren't obnoxiously large. It even allowed me to use the sleep timer on my Hitachi television, something the Hitachi remote did not allow for. I don't think you can go wrong with it, but check out Remote Central for reviews and all kinds of excellent info.

----------------

On 11/4/2004 1:56:03 PM dkp wrote:

is also marketed under the Pronto name. How do you like yours?

----------------

I have no complaints about it... although I sometimes wish its screen were a little bigger (although I'm of small stature, I have... ummm... "round" fingers) It's a TSU1000 btw...

One of the shortcomings I've found of these programmable remotes is when some of your components feature toggle (rather than discrete) remote functions. This makes it more difficult to produce complex macros.

Let me give an example... you want to create a button to watch a "VHS movie on your TV using Dolby Prologic". You can program a series of commands like, switch TV to video input, Preamp to VHS, surround to DPL, etc... Problem is my preamp's remote doesn't offer a function to select DPL directly... rather it scrolls through it's 4 or 5 choices. The number of times the "surround mode" button must be pressed will vary depending on what I used it for last.

This isn't the remotes fault though... I just try to maximize it's use.

No regrets here...

Rob