seen on craiglist: BOSE ad

Klipschfoot

----------------

On 11/4/2004 11:26:03 PM Scp53 wrote:

can someone repost the pic or tell me how to do it. i want it in the message body.

----------------

BLOSE1.jpg

Might as well take this oppurtunity to share something amusing.

Did anybody catch the November (the current) issue of Sound and Vision? On page 71, there is the "exclusive" review of the Bose Lifestyle 38 system, with uMusic. (I am not putting in the stupid little "tm"s, I don't give an 'f' about what Bose may say).

The article goes on and on with the physical description and setup, including that "AdaptIQ" self-calibrating thing. When the reviewer finally talks about DVD performance, he spends one paragraph talking about the video quality, which he gushes over (any decent, but much less expensive, progressive-scan DVD player should be able to perform as well as that Bose system does, and probably even be able to play DVD-Audio and SACD). When he talks about the sound quality, this all he has to say:

----------------

The Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack was convincingly reproduced, with the satellites and Acoustimass bass module providing the kind of room-filling high-quality sound that is a Bose trademark

----------------

That is it! No mention about how well dialogue is reproduced. No mention about how well the bass is reproduced. No mention about how well the sound-stage and imaging is reproduced. Compare that to the Canton CD 300 speaker package review immediatly preceding the Bose review (Starting Page 67), where that review spends a good bit of column-inches describing the sound quality.

In the Bose review, this is all that is mentioned about the music peformance:

----------------

This sophisticated unit put me in the mood for some sophisticated music, so I loaded a new DVD-Auido disc of Mahler's
Symphony No 1
with the Utah Symphony Orechestra conducted by Maurice Abravanel. The 1974 recording captured a great performance. The system isn't desighned to play the disc's high-resolution tracks , but the Dolby Digital mix was still impressive. I could hear a good amount of detail in the massive orchestra, and the acoustic space of the Morman Tabernacle was vivid in the surrounds. The long delay and reverberations added a sense of grandeur to this "Titan" of symphony.

----------------

He never did seem try any regular music CD's in the unit, but made a passing mention of it. Any CD's he did try, was to try out that "uMusic" feature.

Also, I wonder how long it'll be before Bose gets around to offering DVD-Audio and/or SACD playback capablities in thier LS systems. Also, considering there are no 5.1 analog inputs on the "media center" unit, you cannot exactly hook-up an external DVD-A/SACD unit and get full benefit from it. Amazing how the review neglects to mention that. Something just about any $300 or more reciever has now-a-days.

He then gushes over the "uMusic" features of the unit, which I'll admit, does sound pretty cool. I do like the fact that you can setup multiple play-lists (or "preferences" as it seems to be called), as well as rating music TiVo-like, so it can pick what you may want to listen more often. It also has a built-in CDDB database, so it can identify most CD's out there. Apparently Bose will have quartely CDDB update CD's. Why the hell don't they add an ethernet connection to let you jack into the 'net to get updates and so-forth? Would also be nice if it also had a network connection so you can stream music over the home network, instead of using the properitary "Bose-link" to get multi-room setups. I did e-mail Bose asking if they plan on making a "stand-alone" version of the "uMusic" storage, and they said they have no plans on doing so.

The reviewer only mentioned the following about the quality of the MP3 playback of "uMusic":

----------------

It wasn't quite CD quality but close to it. The highs were slightly dull, but there wer no obvious distortions (ssk - despite the fact it is played on a Bose LS system.), and dynamic peaks seemed a tad softened (ssk - dynamics and Bose? There is an oxymoron!). The stereo image was also slightly less clear than on the original CDs.

----------------

Also, the review has one glariing omission! There is no "in the lab" box-out! Look at the preceding Canton speaker review, complete with the "in the lab" box-out showing frequency response graphs, as well as Sensitivity, Impedance, and Bass Limits numbers. There was also text explaining the results shown in the graphs and numbers. No such thing in the Bose review.

I am willing to bet Bose arranged the review with strict orders not to publish any type of test results, as well as no negative things in the review itself. They probably threaten lawsuits as well as pulling advertising, if those conditions were not followed. I am certain Sound and Vision decided to follow those conditions, considering Bose is a heavy advertiser in the magazine (Doing a quick page-though, I found at least three ads, one for something called a "Sound Dock, that you can put your iPod in, a 3-2-1 system, and one of the newer Lifestyls systems with that uMusic. However, there were a ton of ads for flat-panel TV's, as well as those on-wall speaker systems designed to go with them. Seems to be the hottest segment of the market right now. All of the big names seem to have them - Paradigm, Def Tech, B&W, Legacy Audio, Thiel, KEF, and so forth.).

----------------

On 11/5/2004 11:31:43 AM Scp53 wrote:

skonopa or Griffinator,

could you please QUICKLY tell me how to post images in the text body?

----------------

Use the HTML "img" tag:

{img src="http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/BLOSE1.jpg"}

Replace the "{}" bracket with the "angle" brakets (the less than, greater than symbols)

----------------

On 11/5/2004 11:59:47 AM skonopa wrote:

Use the HTML "img" tag:

{img src="

----------------

Also, if a pic takes up too much space and spills off the screen, you can control its size by putting "height=400" after the second quote and before the final bracket, like this: {img src="http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/BLOSE1.jpg"height=400}. While the Blose image doesn't need this, some very large pics that otherwise need to be scrolled a lot can benefit. To see an example of controlled size, see the pics at the beginning of New TT Pics.

You can check the size and appearance of the pic or image prior to submitting with the "Preview" button.

Larry

----------------

On 11/5/2004 11:31:43 AM Scp53 wrote:

skonopa or Griffinator,

could you please QUICKLY tell me how to post images in the text body? not trying to hijack post at all. and skonopa, good post on that s & v article. interesting. ----------------

after you hit "Reply", choose the "Use Rich Text" button. that will give you access to some posting shortcut buttons that you can use so you won't necessarily have to know the html/br.

My mothers husband has a bose 5.1 system. And by far the best part about it is the mute button and then you can turn the TV speakers up and at least understand male voices. Seriously, I dont even think the speakers have been over for months, they are crap! I could build a better speaker out of legos.

----------------

On 11/6/2004 12:53:06 AM Kyle wrote:

My mothers husband has a bose 5.1 system. And by far the best part about it is the mute button and then you can turn the TV speakers up and at least understand male voices. Seriously, I don’t even think the speakers have been over for months, they are crap! I could build a better speaker out of legos.

----------------

"And by far the best part about it is the mute button..."

Best. Description. Ever.

----------------

On 11/6/2004 12:53:06 AM Kyle wrote:

My mothers husband has a bose 5.1 system. And by far the best part about it is the mute button and then you can turn the TV speakers up and at least understand male voices. Seriously, I don’t even think the speakers have been over for months, they are crap! I could build a better speaker out of legos.

----------------

Tell me about it! I was over at Best Buy today, and I was playing around with the LifeStyle 38 demo kiosk. One of the demos they had was the scene out of the Lord of the Rings:Fellowship, during Bilbo's birthday party. I had that thing cranked loud, and I still could barely understand the dialog. I play the exact same scene on my own system, I would clearly understand everything! Some couple was standing next to me ooohing and aaahing. Should've seen thier looks when I turned around and told tham that I'll be sticking with my Klipsch. They sound way better than the Bose did!

It's not that the BOSE acoustimass systems are crap. The design concept is quite clever. It's the price that this company is asking for it's range of extruded plastic modules fitted with low cost components. When compared with equivalently priced products, the BOSE products are seriously lacking.

----------------

On 11/6/2004 11:27:49 PM edwinr wrote:

When compared with equivalently priced products, the BOSE products are seriously lacking.

----------------

And therein lies my beef with Bose. I'll admit that I do like the sleek looks of the product, and the design is clever. For the size, it actually does sound pretty decent. But, come-on! $3,000 for the Liftstyle 38?? If it was under $1,000, it would be a great system, but not for $3K!

----------------

On 11/6/2004 11:57:33 PM skonopa wrote:

But, come-on! $3,000 for the Liftstyle 38?? If it was under $1,000, it would be a great system, but not for $3K!

----------------

But people pay it! It amazes me. Even in side to side comparisions with much better quality products, customers will walk out with the inferior sounding BOSE Lifestyle systems - AND pay more for the 'privilege'! 14.gif

----------------

On 11/7/2004 12:49:37 AM edwinr wrote:

But people pay it! It amazes me. ----------------

me 2. I recently had to convince a friend to take back his bose system. I said get RSX's if you want something small or better yet get some big speakers. They did not want big speakers so I hope they get the RSX's.

I can't wait until head to head reviews of the KES 6100 come out against bose's flagship. That review will be so damn funny. I think what most people find attractive about bose is the "Just add video" feature. Most people dont know dick about receivers or dvd players. Whatever doest work, they call the cable guy over to fix. Klipsch's new system (if its sold at stores which sell bose) should obliterate bose's market.