The Proper Plural Form of Heresy IS...?

Another Woman

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which leads to another question, I wonder why they chose to NAME them Heres(ies)?

her·e·sy < hérrəssee > (plural her·e·sies)

noun

1. religion unorthodox religious opinion: an opinion or belief that contradicts established religious teaching, especially one that is officially condemned by a religious authority

2. religion holding of unorthodox religious belief: the holding of, or adherence to, an opinion or belief that contradicts established religious teaching, especially one that is officially condemned by religious authorities

guilty of heresy

3. unorthodox opinion: an opinion or belief that does not coincide with established or traditional theory, especially in philosophy, science, or politics

4. holding of unorthodox opinion: the holding of an unorthodox opinion that is in conflict with established or traditional theory

<12th century. Via Old French from, ultimately, Greek hairesis choice, sect, from haireisthai to choose. The underlying idea is of somebodys choice of a way of thinking.>

Encarta® World English Dictionary © & (P)2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.

----------------

On 11/7/2004 2:46:29 PM 76scalas wrote:

A speaker that is not fully horn loaded would be Heresy!

----------------

Ok, sorry, but now you get to explain that to me...I'm a newbie here too, and all I know is that I LIKE the SOUND of Klipsch speakers, but I don't understand about horns etc. Anybody care to help me out so I get the joke?

The first Klipsch speakers were all totally horn loaded -- bass, mid and treble. The Khorn being the big corner horn, but also the La Scala and Belle. The Heresy is made with the woofer being a direct radiator. Someone is reported to have been visiting with Paul Klipsch and made the comment that it was a heresy, i.e., not fully horn loaded. Of course, many of the new speakers have direct radiating woofers, and passive radiators (non powered woofer) on them. They are still great speakers.

A horn is considered an acoustic transformer, and helps extend the efficiency of the driver over its intended frequency range, be it woofer, mid frequency or tweeter. There's more to it than that (lots more -- math, blah blah blah), but that's it in a nutshell.

Marvel

I would suggest that Heresy's is best.

The use of Heresies would suggest two different designs or religious doctrines.

I believe PWK was sketching out the design in front of a salesman and the saleman inquired. When the direct radiator was explained, the saleman stated that coming from PWK, it would be heresy.

Gil

----------------

On 11/7/2004 7:25:12 PM analogman wrote:

An apostrophe is only used to form plurals with some figures and letters as in "five 6's" or "dot the i's".

As always,

Analogman

----------------

That's actually incorrect. It makes it possessive that way. It should be used for a contraction (can't or won't), or possession (Jim's speakers). Plurals put an "s" or "es" on the end. If it has a "y" you change it to "ie" and add the "s".

----------------

On 11/7/2004 8:19:32 PM Marvel wrote:

----------------

An apostrophe is only used to form plurals with some figures and letters as in "five 6's" or "dot the i's".

As always,

Analogman

----------------

That's actually incorrect. It makes it possessive that way. It should be used for a contraction (can't or won't), or possession (Jim's speakers). Plurals put an "s" or "es" on the end. If it has a "y" you change it to "ie" and add the "s".

----------------

Sorry, but you are mistaken. May I suggest you get a "Webster's" and learn to use it, DIPSH$T.1.gif

Your friend,

Analogman

----------------

On 11/7/2004 8:19:32 PM Marvel wrote:

----------------

As always,

Analogman

----------------

----------------

Well........ The New York Public Library guide to style and usage says that the plural of proper nouns or names are formed by adding -s or -es. The spelling of the name itself must be preserved, so that -y to -ies doesn't apply. I think that means "Heresys".

The manual also says that plurals of numbers are formed by adding -s, i.e., "five 6s," but that, to ensure clarity, apostrophes are used to form plurals of all lower case letters, i.e., "dot the i's." Guess what, though -- the manual says that forming plurals can be stylistic and authorities may differ!

Larry

Very good...

To answer the question as it was intended (not the smarta$$ reply I gave previous), my guess is that it would be "Heresys," since Heresy is a proper name. Could be wrong here.

The use if the apostrophy could also indicate a contraction, i.e. "My Heresy's contracted an infection from using a diaphragm."

I'm going to stick with the suggestion of the form of Heresy's.

This is the use of the apostrophy to indicate a plural.

My main reasoning is that "Heresy" is a trademark and thus the the spelling should be preserved. This is in distinction to "Heresies" which fails to preserve the proper lettering.

True trademark sticklers would say we must call them Heresy brand speakers.

You get to some diffucult phrasiology when going down this proper use of trademarks road. E.g. a collection of Walkman brand devices should be called Walkman's, and not Walkmen. And some feminists would insist on Walkpersons.

Smile.

Gil