The Proper Plural Form of Heresy IS...?

Another Woman

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with that, Gil, and I say this with all respect, is that the apostrophe indicates possession except in the case of numbers and letters, e.g. "Dot your i's and cross your t's." Heresy's is the possesive for Heresy, e.g "Linda borrowed Larry's car to go to the store."

I have generally held that the plural of Heresy is Heresies, but the proper name throws a twist, and having read the resources I now think the proper plural is Heresys. Using Larry again, "There are three Larrys on my mother's side of the family."

Of course the other apostrophe use is contraction, e.g. "You can't use an apostrophe before the s in Heresys unless you mean to indicate possession, such as a Heresy's woofer or a Heresy's crossover."

O

fini, I love you1.gif Correct as usual. As far as the New York Public Library, THEY DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH IN NEW YORK, MUCH LESS WRITE USING IT1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif

I have (had) already answered the question, with all the "pile on" options others have given. I guess I am not "in" with the "in" crowd.

As always,

Analogman

I'll admit spelling conventions are difficult and often abmiguous.

I belive that our little group has decided that "Heresies" is not honoring the trademark. Thus it should be discarded.

I suggest.

"Heresy" as the singular.

"Heresys" as the plural.

"Heresy's" as singular possessive.

"Heresys'" as plural possessive.

It looks to me that we can't use a form of XXX's as a contraction for Heresy is. So that is not a problem.

Gil

Well I have been on the forum for a goodly number of years now and have constantly written Heresies with never a comment.

I, too, think that Heresys looks odd and have therefore never used it - Heresy loudspeakers is probably the best form of all - but a bit longwinded.

Just to add one more option - there are words that are the same for singular and plural (sheep for example). Maybe we should make Heresy the same - so 2 Heresy would also be acceptable. There is, after all, only one Heresy, unless you count the Heresy 1 and the Heresy 2 as different speakers so, then again, maybe not.

Heresy's plural form is not quite a simple as I thought when I first looked at this thread!

Analogman, as usual, shows his great taste and ability to express himself using the English language. Heresys would be correct (as others have pointed out) so that the name isn't changed.

Monday, and time to go back to work.

Marvel

----------------

On 11/8/2004 3:14:16 AM maxg wrote:

... are words that are the same for singular and plural (sheep for example).

----------------

In the case of sheep, consider the word "foot". The plural of "foot" is "feet".

Therefore the singular form of "sheep" is "shoop", as in "see the shoop poop."

Aren't we glad we have THAT settled ???

----------------

On 11/8/2004 8:06:36 AM Marvel wrote:

Analogman, as usual, shows his great taste and ability to express himself using the English language. Heresys would be correct (as others have pointed out) so that the name isn't changed.

Marvel

----------------

Feel better now, you little carpet bagging sissy boy?3.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif

Gruss und Kuss,

Analogman

----------------

On 11/8/2004 8:06:36 AM Marvel wrote:

Marvel

----------------

Vielleicht koennten die, denen mein Englisch nicht gefaellt, anweisen welche Sprache, wenn ueberhaupt, sie bevorzugen.

Un fuerte abrazo,

Analogman