Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Nov.8

thebes

Well we're back agian bringing you the hit tunes from the Klipsch Forum shock jocks.

So what do you have to share this week?

Format is simple. Name of artists/group, style of music as best you can (jazz, blues etc.), whether its's a cd or lp and any comments you wish to share.

As usual I'll start it off with:

Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer and Mark O'Connor's "Appalachian Journey", cd-classocial-folk

This is new to me and quite interesting, having never heard Yo-Yo Ma before. Very haunting violin work with a hint of the hills to lend it veracity. Also includes special guests James Taylor and Alison Krauss. Nice listening music.

I've got a big stack this week!

Arvo Part - Te Deum - 1993 CD(ECM New Series). I'm not a classical expert by any means but I'm assuming this would be considered chamber music. Excellent to chill out to and excellently recorded. Mellow stuff.

Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Sessions - 1988 CD(RCA/BMG). I'm sure this has been suggested before but I'll do so again. Recorded live in the acoustically awesome Church Of The Holy Trinity using one stereo mic. If you know/like this album I think you'll LOVE the Neko Case album titled Blacklisted.

Grant Green - Idle Moments - 1963 CD(Blue Note). Worth admission price for the brilliant title track alone. I could let it loop all day. Green has always been one of my favorite jazz guitarists. Smooth as a baby's bottom. Check out Kenny Burrell as well. OT: Can someone suggest a Barney Kessel album for me?

John Cage - Music For Prepared Piano Vol. 1 & 2 - 1999 & 2000 CD(Naxos). Probably all the prepared piano pieces you'll ever need. Usual great recording from the budget label Naxos. Interpretations are by Boris Berman and are superb. I really like the more rhythmic/percussive pieces. For those who have no idea of what a prepared piano is check this out. The performer uses nuts, bolts, pieces of bamboo, pencils, screws & weather stripping and places them between the strings at specific spots to create an otherworldly percussive piano with muted tones. In 1940 when he first started using this technique I'm sure people completely freaked.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra with John McLaughlin - The Inner Mounting Flame - 1971 CD(Columbia/Legacy). Awesome jazz-fusion shredding from guitar virtuoso McLaughlin. I have to admit that it took me years to open up to his unorthodox playing but now I love it. The mighty Billy Cobham mans the drums and doesn't let up. I can see why Hendrix and McLaughlin started playing together just before Jimi's death. They were almost doing the same thing! If you like Billy Cobham - Spectrum and Miles Davis - electric stuff like Jack Johnson, B!tches Brew & On The Corner you need this album!

Susumu Yokota - Sakura - 1999 CD(Leaf/Skintone). It's rare that my girlfriend actually asks "What is this album? I really like this one." Simply beautiful(as are all 4 of Yokota's albums that I own) mellow electronic music that really stands out from the crowd. Not really any heavy "beats" to speak of but plenty of disjointed loops that start to gel when listened to with open ears. I dare someone to buy this and not like it. It's gotten nothing but praise since its release. Just don't ask me to pronounce any of the song titles. Sublime.

I just received 5 just released Elton John SACD's from Amazon.

Madman across the water, Tumbleweed Connection, Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy, Elton John, and Honky Chateau.

These were mixed every bit as well as the Goodbye Yellow brick Road sacd.

Highly recommend....................9.gif

Take care

Mike

Since Mikekid nominated some Elton John releases, I'll mention a related one, which is a tribute album of some famous people doing EJ covers:

"Two Rooms - Celebrating the songs of Elton John and Bernie Taupin"

CD Polygram 1991. Includes: Eric Clapton doing Border Song; The Who - Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting; Beach Boys - Crocodile Rock; Jon Bon Jovi - Levon; Tina Turner - The B!tch Is Back; Rod Stewart - Your Song; Oleta Adams - Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me, and many others. Most tracks reflect very effective choices in putting a different voice to a familiar melody. This was another good $2 used CD from half.com.

I've never chimed in on this thread before, but here goes...

Michael Murray - An Organ Blaster Sampler from the Telarc Catalog - 1991: As the title suggests, all pipe organ music. My favorite track on the CD is #1, the famous Bach Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (of 'Rollerball' fame!) Very wide dynamic range... the low register peaks literally raise goosebumps on the back of my neck. Best at night, with the lights dimmed.

Percy Heath - A Love Song - 2003; Percy Heath is a jazz bassist - here he leads with a simple, 3-piece jazz band - Bass, piano, and percussion. This is an outstanding CD recording, IMO. With the proper speakers and setup, and closing your eyes, you WILL think the band is right in the room with you. My favorite track is #3 - Django

In honor of my Birthday (today Nov 9), I'll be putting on my all time fave, Tommy Bolin Teaser LP. Many Tommy Bolin titles are available remixed, live, or basement tapes from tbolin.com Tommy Bolin Archives fan club.

So light up the combustible of your choice, put some old classic rock vinyl on the turntable, and party with Colterphoto tonight! (btw, 46, about 15 of them with Klipsch Cornwalls!)

Michael

----------------

On 11/9/2004 4:47:23 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

In honor of my Birthday (today Nov 9), I'll be putting on my all time fave, Tommy Bolin Teaser LP. Many Tommy Bolin titles are available remixed, live, or basement tapes from tbolin.com Tommy Bolin Archives fan club.

So light up the combustible of your choice, put some old classic rock vinyl on the turntable, and party with Colterphoto tonight! (btw, 46, about 15 of them with Klipsch Cornwalls!)

Michael

----------------

Happy B day Michael! Have a good one make sure you party hard!9.gif Or if that aint your bag just have a good time.

I'm going to recommend a cd that I've listened to about a thousand times.

Deftones - White Pony (CD, Maverick)

I don't know what it is about this album but I never never get tired of it. It rocks just as hard as the first time I heard it. I'm not the best at describing the music qualitatively, so I won't; just go listen to it. One way I qualify SS gear is to see if it lets me listen to track 2 (or 3, depending on which release) "Digital Bath" louder than before without it being painful 3.gif; those intro drums are something killer.

Greetings:

1 classical only in te music format: "THE UNUSUAL CLASSICAL SYNTHESIZER." iF YOU CAN FIND IT - WELL WORTH THE LISTEN, i'D LOVE TO HAVE A cd OF IT.

oN cd: eLTON jOHN - gREATEST hITS:

1970 - 2002."

3 CD set, obvious from the quality taken from the Original mix-downs. All the best, some that one can skip, but it's well worth it.

A little note: "Your Song" for Bonnie. a 24 year old reference, but as we near the Holidays, one that is a point not to forget.

dodger

Trans Siberian Orchestra

Christmass Eve and Other Stories

CD

Holiday music with a little more kick. These are some of the finest musicians and singers ever to make music. They put their own twist on holiday favorites and use them to tell a story. the CD is well recorded I can't recomend this group enough.