Forward Air rates......holy double the price!!!! (Cornwall Crate)

Audible Nectar

I've been a bit out of the day to day loop around here, but what happened to Forward Air's rates???? No wonder my attempts to pass the crate along has fallen mostly on deaf ears! It appears that it would take about $500 on average to get Cornwall shipping done, as it is about 285.00 each way - and 2 legs typically necessary to get the speakers to the purchaser.

I don't have a problem having the crate here, but it's sure easy to see why it isn't as useful as it was before, given the expense.

Did anyone find better/lower cost shipping options?

For what it's worth, last year I shipped a pair of 1990 Cornwalls from Dallas, TX to Sacramento, CA for $66.00, which included insurance, without a scratch.

I just tried their site "www.forwardair.com". It appears almost dead. Even the "Site Index" produces nothing.

I'm concerned!! I was about to sell one of my Cornwall pairs and offer Forward Air as the method.

I'm very interested in what is happening!!

Mike8.gif

I use fwd air a lot. They're incredibly cheap.

I can't believe that 2 cornwalls in a crate (250lbs max?) would cost $285 to ship one way!

PS I wanted to use the mysterious cornwall crate a while back to ship my CWs but no one knew where it was.

5.gif

I think Greg may have shipped Cornwalls via UPS, at a fairly reasonable rate. When I last looked into it, they were just a tad oversized, if you figure 2" of styrofoam and double-wall cardboard (with maybe a plywood skid). You could probably get away with 1" of styro, and some 1/2" ply (but I tend to overpack shipments).

I used Forward Air in Feb. to ship a pair of Cornwalls in orig boxes from Boston to San Diego. The cost was $118 on the pallet-terminal to terminal. Unles the box weighs as much as the speakers the $250+ doesn't make sense even with increased fuel costs.

Here's my recent experience. Paid $200.00 to have LaScalas shipped from CA to NY. No biggie. Took a day off from work and drove over 1 hr to get them.Speakers didn't show up, totally indifferent service. Went back 2 days later and got them-thanks to a warehouse guy doing OT. Don't know if the rate was good but service at my end was UNSAT!!!

----------------

On 11/9/2004 11:12:10 PM fini wrote:

Cripes Greg, is that your ho? Hey, how about you drive that thing all around the country, picking up and dropping off, spreading Klipsches like you were Johnny Speakerseed?

----------------

Johnny Speakerseed? LMAO!

BTW Fini,

The Bernstein/Ravel LP is amazing. One of the best classical recordings I've heard. Probably one for the classical thread but thanks again.

• Like 1

----------------

On 11/11/2004 9:28:25 AM NOSValves wrote:

Why isn't it "John Deere Green" ??

----------------

The construction equipment is yellow. The residential and agricultural equipment is the traditional JD Green. If you want to see "green", here's my little toy...

LT-150.jpg

I won this tractor last year from a raffle. Although the manual recommends limiting trailer weight to the tractor and rider's weight, I have no trouble hauling around 13 cubic feet plus of stone and dirt, even up relatively steep hills, with the standard turf tires!

post-14106-1381925928793_thumb.jpg

I just shipped three boxes on pallets (total weight 354 pounds) from San Antonio, TX to Detroit, MI for $126.21. The price is listed as $35 per 100 pounds. I dropped it off at Forward Air on a Monday and it was in Detroit two days later. Still the best deal in town. Now for International I use BAX Global.