OT: MIGRAINE HEADACHES

dodger

Greetings:

Some of us here on the Forum get Migraine Headaches. Not fun.

I have tried Injection Imitrex, Imitrex Tablets, Zomig, tablets.

My Doc gave me a couple of samples along with a prescription for Imitrex nasal spray. (contact any /all of your physicians before asking one for a trial)

I battled a Migraine all day, visual effects, louy mood, head aching - ALL of the classic signs.

At 17:15 (5:15) I received my sample. Tried it - tastes like yuck - BUT, I fell asleep for about 90 minutes and other than feeling a little whupped, no headache, mood okay, vision okay. IT WORKED!

So I post this for those that get Migraines as a possible aid for relief. I am not a Doctor, just one who has come to that point in life where I started getting the Migraines.

Please also note that I am not involved with any drug firm, no one in my family is and I am receiving nothing - money, benefits, samples, etc. - for posting this.

Good Luck,

dodger

This is a long story, but this is how I found out that Caffeine cures headaches.

I used to do some computer work for a neurologist friend when I told him I was starting to have bad headaches. He had me go into his office for a full checkup, & after a day of testing, he said nothing was wrong; I was just one of those people that got headaches. But then he asked me if I could do some work for him that night, so I met him at his house, & of course, I had a headache that night. While I was working, he made me an extra strong cup of cappuccino. Within 10 minutes, my headache was gone.

Turns out, at that time, doctors were not allowed to tell patients that caffeine cures headaches, even though it was known in the medical world.

The funny part of this is that the medicine that is advertised as the headache medicine is Excedrin. Take a look at the ingredients. Its loaded with caffeine.

I should also add that Jolt Cola seems to work just as good!

----------------

On 11/11/2004 4:07:33 PM cyclonecj wrote:

This is a long story, but this is how I found out that Caffeine cures headaches.

----------------

From someone who lives his life in a headache, it is NOT quite that simple. Although, Excedrin (or APC {ASPIRIN, PHENACTIN, CAFFEINE} which was discontinued due to worries about PHENACTIN, a chemical precursor converted to acetaminophen{Tylenol} by the liver ) IS the only OTC medication that come close to addressing my situation. Anacin, which at least use to contain caffeine, doesn't cut it for me anyway. If I drink coffee or have a Coke during the onset of an attack, I am done for. Many claim that headaches can be triggered by caffeine withdrawal (which MAY explain why a Jolt/coffee helps you). When you live with migraines, you continuously try to figure what you did, or ate, prior that may have triggered the headache; it is pretty much a hopeless quest

----------------

On 11/11/2004 5:08:57 PM jerohm wrote:

----------------

On 11/11/2004 4:07:33 PM cyclonecj wrote:

----------------

From someone who lives his life in a headache, it is NOT quite that simple. Although, Excedrin (or APC {ASPIRIN, PHENACTIN, CAFFEINE} which was discontinued due to worries about PHENACTIN, a chemical precursor converted to acetaminophen{Tylenol} by the liver ) IS the only OTC medication that come close to addressing my situation. Anacin, which at least use to contain caffeine, doesn't cut it for me anyway.
If I drink coffee or have a Coke during the onset of an attack, I am done for.
Many claim that headaches can be triggered by caffeine withdrawal (which MAY explain why a Jolt/coffee helps you). When you live with migraines, you continuously try to figure what you did, or ate, prior that may have triggered the headache; it is pretty much a hopeless quest

----------------

Keeping a log of what you have to eat and also drink may help narrow the possible causes.

Taking ny pain reliever on a consistent basis will cause rebound headaches. Sometimes mistaken for cluster headaches.

Colors, patterns, sounds are possible triggers for Migraines. The type of aura or visual disturbance gives some clues. But it is possible to have Migraines without a headache.

As I noted, auras, feelings of being tired, irritability, light sensitivity or sound, can be signs of Migraines.

Also as some may know, sulphites contained in wine - moreso in red wine - may cause headaches as one may be allergic or sensitive to them.

dodger

----------------

On 11/11/2004 5:57:06 PM SteelerFan wrote:

When I feel one coming on I hurry up and take a couple of Excedrin Migraine and that usually takes care of it. The quicker I can catch it the better it works.

----------------

That is also a key point.

You rate your pain on a 1 - 10 scale. 10 being the worst. Try and catch it and also asthma attacks before it hits 5.

Good Point.

dodger

Caffine is used in most of those meds. to make them work faster. Caffine speeds up the process of getting the meds into you system. It also increased blood flow which pumps out some of the toxins in your system that causes headeachs.

If you get real migraines those wimpy over the counter meds won't help.

I feel you pain. I have had migrains and throwing up at the same time. Not fun. I am glad to here that you found something that works. It is a big relife

----------------

On 11/11/2004 6:18:14 PM easylistener wrote:

Caffine is used in most of those meds. to make them work faster. Caffine speeds up the process of getting the meds into you system. It also increased blood flow which pumps out some of the toxins in your system that causes headeachs.

If you get real migraines those wimpy over the counter meds won't help.

I feel you pain. I have had migrains and throwing up at the same time. Not fun. I am glad to here that you found something that works. It is a big relife

----------------

Well I agree sort of. If I wait until the nausea (and funny taste in my mouth) sets in I'm pretty much screwed. But the over the counter Excedrin Migraine seems to work ok if I can just make myself take it soon enough. That's the key because I'm forever telling myself it's going to go away before it gets really bad. Sometimes yes and sometimes no.