A Salute on Veterans Day

fini

Can I sugguest that we try to contribute to the "Veterans in the Making". There are thousands of our nation's youth in really Frigged up corners of the universe....

Look up www.anysoldier.com.

Send a Letter,

Send a Box

Or if you just want to send some music...burn a few CDs, mail-em to me and I will make sure they are sent1.gif

4 year vet. I've been eyeing this post today not knowing exactly how to respond. What I'm about to say is not going to be popular and I fully expect to get a lot of heat. So be it.

I find it sad that the media has side lined our vets today in lue of a terrorists death. Says a lot about what's important to them.

I don't know the situation in your state, but here in Rhode Island the National Guard has set up a fund to help the families of those called up for active duty pay for some of the necessities of life like heating oil and food. I plan on sending a C-note along with my thanks to the Office of the Adjutant General.

Rick (USAF 1966-70)

----------------

On 11/11/2004 7:41:41 PM cluless wrote:

Can I sugguest that we try to contribute to the "Veterans in the Making". There are thousands of our nation's youth in really Frigged up corners of the universe....

Look up www.anysoldier.com.

Send a Letter,

Send a Box

Or if you just want to send some music...burn a few CDs, mail-em to me and I will make sure they are sent
1.gif
----------------

I second that www.anysoldier.com What a great organization. My family has now sent 4 packages. It's also a great chance to read about what life is like in Iraq and Afghan directly from the troops themselves. I don't know how they do it but I can't thank them all enough.

And thanks to all Veterans for your service.

----------------

On 11/11/2004 9:11:03 PM m00n wrote:

4 year vet. I've been eyeing this post today not knowing exactly how to respond. What I'm about to say is not going to be popular and I fully expect to get a lot of heat. So be it.

I find it sad that the media has side lined our vets today in lue of a terrorists death. Says a lot about what's important to them.

----------------

I agree with ya', mOOn. The less said about Arafat, the better. Fitting that he died in France.

I don't wear a hat, but if I did, I would tip it to all those who have served, and those who are serving today. -- Last I heard, eighteen Amercan heros have lost their life in the assault on Fallujiah.15.gif

1stCavDiv_grns.jpg

I'm a 6 year vet ('80 - '86), having been assigned with the 1st Cavalry Division, and served for 3 years in Germany. Even though my tour of duty was during peacetime, I knew that anything could happen at anytime, and that I'd always be ready to serve. That's always easier said than done, but 9-11 proved to the world that our men and women in uniform are at the ready, no matter how scared they personally feel. They've volunteered to serve their country; they're the best trained military in the world, and will do their best to defend the United States from all her enemies!

My small part in all this today is a monthly contribution to the VFW: "Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States", National Headquarters, 406 W. 34th St., Kansas City, MO 64111 (www.vfw.org). They've supported our vets since 1899, and continue to support all our vets, from WWII to today!

Just my thoughts...God bless our troops!12.gif

post-11084-13819259305758_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 11/11/2004 9:32:32 PM 3dzapper wrote:

I don't know the situation in your state, but here in Rhode Island the National Guard has set up a fund to help the families of those called up for active duty pay for some of the necessities of life like heating oil and food. I plan on sending a C-note along with my thanks to the Office of the Adjutant General.

Rick (USAF 1966-70)

----------------

28id.gif29-mini.gif

That is not a bad idea! They just deployed the 229th Engineering unit right here in Fredericksburg, VA. God bless those souls and wish them godspeed.

I've served 6 years in the National Guard (1988-1994) myself (4 years in C Battary, 1/229th FA (Oil City, PA) - 28 Infantry (Mechanized) and the last 2 years in A Battery 2/111th FA (Richmond, VA) - 29 Infantry (Light)).

I am willing to bet a lot of those guys that got called up took a serious pay-cut from thier civilian job, just to serve this fine country. I'll have to take a quite ride to the armoury, and see if there is some type of fund I can donate to to help offset some of those costs (while deployed, the mortage still has to be paid, the utilities still have to paid, etc).

Even in my current job, I still serve in an indirect way, as a contractor working on the Navy Aegis project. I know there is software that I've personally written aboard a few of those ships that is out there right now.

ddg-79-lores.JPG

Picture taken a few years ago while aboard the Oscar-Austion (DDG-79) right after her commissioning in Norfolk, VA (check out that mullet I had then) And, yes, that is the USS Enterprise in the background.

And "Doger" did bring up a good point in not forgetting the men and women in law enforcement, firefighting, rescue squads/EMTs, etc - many of whom do it on a volunteer basis. I get the oppurtunity to work with some of these fine folks due to being on the ski patrol (of which I also volunteer my time).

But, yes, I cannot say "Thank You" enough for all those that have served and continue to serve. I'll get the oppurtunity to meet and say thank-you to a lot of vets at the local Golden Corral restaurant, which is serving a free buffet meal to any vetern that shows up on Monday, the 15th (I plan on being there).

Sometimes, it does not take much. A Thank You or a nod so that you know you are not invisible.

My service has been all homeland, PD. But I lost relatives in WW I, WW II (one of whom I emulated in Homeland Service), Korea and Viet Nam.

There is no one to carry on my Mother's maiden name, There are only two left that are full blooded with my Father's last name. I have no children.

With my Cousin's Son AND his Intended both in Iraq i could not bear the thought of a Family Funeral.

I attended Funerals for Colleagues as a result of 9/11. Two of NYPD's finest had their Official Vehicles crushed from debris - a Wife and her Husband. Luckily, they had both stopped to help people. In doing so, the person the Husband was help tore his radio off. For quite a while, Lydia kept hearing calls for her Husband to respond.

It was back at 1 PP that she saw Her Husband. She learned of the falling of Comrades, some friends of mine. We attended Funerals.

This happened on our own soil, and not in what would most feel not combat only Terrorism.

To have the one day denoted for Remembering just a day for Sales, a day off from work, a day that its true meaning seeming to slowly slip away is so wrong.

My GrandMother learned of the death of one of her sons in WW II by reading it in the paper, Lt. Earl R. Wilkinson, was wrong.

What has happened in the past that is forgotten or becomes trivial - is bound to be repeated.

No Parent should EVER have to bury their Child. No Veteran should EVER have to say I only served during Peacetime. No-one protecting the Homes, Health and Citizens should feel less. 9/11 proved that.

Everyone that Posted, I salute You. You gave so that people as myself, could protect while you were away. You gave years of YOUR life, so that others may not have to.

I defy anyone to walk along the Viet Nam Memorial and have a dry eye. WW I, WW II, Korea, Iraq - Peace Time Service. All so that we can feel a hint of safety on our soil. 9/11 robbed us of that and sent a message that we cannot ignore.

Our Governor eliminated $250,000.00 from the State Budget destined for a Veteran's Out Reach Center. Now to survive, the Center has to beg for discretionary Funding.

Veterans deserve better. Veterans deserve more than a one day Thanks.

You protected us so that we can protect you. I hope all will give that a thought.

dodger