what is the BADEST SUB??

Scp53

for like $5000 or less, what is the best sounding and highest spl sub you can get?? don't say 2-3 such and such a sub. im talking about ONE sub. with ONE driver. well maybe two drivers, but no more. it can be DIY, home, professional. sound quality is most important. im not buying one just asking for the hell of it. thanks

scp53

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't usually keep up with consumer subs... I just DIY them. Whether they are better or not, who knows. When I get bored with mine, I just build another. It's cheaper than spending $5000 on a new one. 3.gif

Perhaps Aerial? Revel? Velo? Carver?

You are going to get lots of different opinions, and odds are that no one will agree on a definitive "best" or "baddest" sub. Just be prepared... this could get ugly. 3.gif2.gif

Guest Anonymous

I have the B4-Plus, but it has 4 12" drivers. I had to move it out of the corner cause it was making my house fall apart11.gif and my wifw threatened divorce6.gif

Hmmm... the Klipsch KW-120-THX is a formidable competitor, but a pair (with amp) retails for more than the 5000$

Therefore, my vote would go for ThomasW's 12-Dancing-Shivas followed by Acoustic Vision Everest and also Steve's SVS B12-Plus-4.

Another sub which will soon add itself to that list, will be my "4 Dancing AcousticElegance IB15's"... 4.gif

Rob

First, the Klipsch KW-120-THX system (both subs + amp) is not over 5k, its about 3800.

I would say the Krell master reference subwoofer would smack anything around in this thread. But I think its a bit more than 5k :(

under 5k I would surly go for the Klipsch KW-120-THX system or a SVS B4 (both of these systems are about 4k)

If you onlky want one driver, maybe the paradigm signature servo. This is a very sexy sub too.

http://signature.paradigm.com/HTML_Site/SigProduct/Servo/Servo.html'>Signature Servo

ServoDrive. Either a Servodrive or BDEAP-R Sub. Both are big (no...I mean BIG), ugly, and capable of rearranging your internal organs14.gif and (seriously) putting cracks in your walls while still managing to be extremely fast, detailed and low in distortion. They need offboard amps and you are always best using with a good LFE EQ like a RANE PE-17.

----------------

On 11/18/2004 7:55:11 PM SoundBroker wrote:

ServoDrive. Either a Servodrive or BDEAP-R Sub. Both are big (no...I mean BIG), ugly, and capable of rearranging your internal organs
14.gif
and (seriously) putting cracks in your walls while still managing to be extremely fast, detailed and low in distortion. They need offboard amps and you are always best using with a good LFE EQ like a RANE PE-17.

----------------

Those aren't home theater subs. In fact, they would have a hard time doing anything under 30 Hz. Sure, they pack some SPL, but as far as sound quality (another original point of the thread) I would have to assume they would not be the most elegant.

----------------

On 11/18/2004 7:18:54 PM christjared wrote:

Kicker 12" L7 car sub loaded into a ported box with a 1000 watt plate amp from Partsexpress
9.gif

----------------

What are the T/S parameters on this sub? Does the car subwoofer go low enough to make a good HT sub?

Where is the dominant SUB expert to answer the call???

THE EAR? where are you? Stuck in your phonebooth changing into your SUBMAN costume??

I can see the spotlight over the fair city--a spotlight of a WOOFER larger than life..

SUBMAN WHERE ARE YOU WHEN YOU ARE SO DESPERATELY NEEDED?!!

"Those aren't home theater subs.  In fact, they would have a hard time doing anything under 30 Hz.  Sure, they pack some SPL,"

Not correct.The ServoDrive ContraBass is rated as having a -3dB point of 14hz. With 200 watts input it is rated for 114dB at 16hz *outdoors* at under 1% distortion. It has no problem going very very deep and it does this with low distortion. If you think a CB has a hard time getting under 30hz you obviously have never heard one.

As for the BDEEP it is true it won't go as low as the CB by itself. However it can be EQed to extended its response much lower and it has ability to handle that. Check out this thead on it....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=272320

Shawn

----------------

On 11/18/2004 7:08:15 PM 007 wrote:

First, the Klipsch KW-120-THX system (both subs + amp) is not over 5k, its about 3800.

----------------

I stand corrected... I was just to lazy to look up street price versus MSRP... that were posted on here. Given that it ticks in under 5000$, I do think they would be a formidable competitor.

----------------

On 11/18/2004 8:09:41 PM tpg wrote:

You got ahold of some IB15's?! Wow... those are monsters. You'll have one heck of an IB with those...
6.gif

----------------

Yup... I have four of the AE/Stryke IB15 woofers on their way for the integration into my new (yet to be built) dedicated music / HT room. Almost 20% more displacement than the SVS B4 (and slightly more than 2 Tumults at full excursion)... but much more efficient to boot. Uses Hoffman's law to a tee... with a large enclosure, great efficiency, and very good bass response. Why try to build a compact enclosure when I can use an adjoining room? 2.gif FINALLY..... 1.gif

BTW, I'm planning on moving my equipment to a dedicated room in basement with between 2800ft3 to 3200ft3. I would have liked 8 IB drivers, but the manifold would be overwhelming... given the relatively small room sizes.

I've also purchased a pair of Klipschorns... which I'm looking forward to auditioning for the first time (they have not shipped yet). Lots of changes planned on my end... but as usual it'll take me quite some time to get it all set up and to my liking.

Later...

Rob

----------------

On 11/18/2004 11:07:00 PM sfogg wrote:

"Those aren't home theater subs.  In fact, they would have a hard time doing anything under 30 Hz.  Sure, they pack some SPL,"

Not correct.The ServoDrive ContraBass is rated as having a -3dB point of 14hz. If you think a CB has a hard time getting under 30hz you obviously have never heard one.

Shawn

----------------

The Contrabass was never explicitly mentioned. I know what they are capable of. The deap was specifically mentioned and the tech 7 was implied as these are both horn loaded, or at least that's what I got out of the reply. These are commercially designed subwoofers and, as I already mentioned previously, are not much below 30 Hz (unless, of course you make modifications as you could do with any sub). Unless you dig a hole in your floor or you've got an auditorium for your living room, they would be neither asthetically pleasing or spaciously viable. I would also imagine that the sub horn concept would not lend itself to great sweet spots very close to the enclosure.