wanted: Academy Center

lipinski

After reading probably 100 threads over the past 2 days, I'm wanting an Academy Center to go with my Forte 2s as fronts. I haven't read any strong opinions about an obvious match for surrounds that would go with these classics, other than another pair of Forte which means hunthing for more used speakers. Anybody matched RS7s to go with the combination of Fortes and an Academy?

No Academy on ebay right now. Any suggestions on how else to find one?

I'm feelin' pretty patient about it.

1.gif

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lipinski:

Unfortunately, it's a waiting game for the Academy. I bought mine for $500 - these have gone as high as $900 - and as low as $100, beat up. Luck of the draw. It is unfortunate that Klipsch produced these for so few years - I think there would be an outstanding NEW market for these! Good luck in your search!

Popbumper

I know what you are going through, I was trying to find a KV4 to match my epic series speakers, but to no avail, so I settled on a KLF C7. I have seen an Academy come onto Ebay with far greater frequency than the KV4 (actually I have yet to see a KV4 on Ebay, and I think I've seen a couple of Acadedmys but they were in less than stellar condition). You can also check www.audiogon.com (and post a wanted ad), but I haven't seen an academy listed there for the past 2 months or so. Good luck.

I believe the Academy's were produced for only 2 years. And they most certainly do not pop up with regularity. When they do pop-up and they're in excellent condition, be prepared to lay down some serious cash.

Good luck, I waited 2 years for my WO Academy. And it is an impressive speaker.

the one that just popped up on ebay has the black finish.

my forte's have the same finish. it also looks to be in perfect condition. so, i intend to scarf it up.

by the way, what should be the top end that I pay for it?

If bidding gets above $600, should pay more? I have no idea what too much is?

I got my second black one off of Ebay a couple of months ago for under $400. I am thinking about using them for my surrounds instead of my rb-5s.

I would prefer oak oil for my center. Probably will never find one of them for reasonable price. Over $600 is is almost crazy but if it will finish off a theater, I can understand. At the moment my second Academy is sitting in the closet.

The smartest thing for me would be to find another set of Fortes and use one for my center but as usual there is no room.

Mike

What to do...I also need an Academy to complete my Khorn...Cornwall...SVS HT System...My wife does not like the idea of Hersey's as a center channel...Way to big for her. She wants a smaller size speaker and this would match sonically.

Why doesn't Klipsch manufacture a short run of these speakers? It looks like there might me a market for this particular speaker?5.gif

----------------

On 11/22/2004 4:27:18 PM cob1708 wrote:

What to do...I also need an Academy to complete my Khorn...Cornwall...SVS HT System...My wife does not like the idea of Hersey's as a center channel...Way to big for her. She wants a smaller size speaker and this would match sonically.

Why doesn't Klipsch manufacture a short run of these speakers? It looks like there might me a market for this particular speaker?
5.gif

----------------

Just a side note here. The Academy is not that much smaller then a Heresy.

Academy 23.25x11x10

Heresy 21.00x15x13.2

Just wanted to throw that out there for the folks who have never seen the Academy in person. It is still a somewhat large and heavy speaker. Laying on it's side the Heresy is actually narrower but 4 only inches taller. Just food for thought.

Laters,

Jeff

Not to get a flame war with Academy owners, and I don't have any experience with many of the Klipsch speakers, including the Academy, but what is the big demand for them? I have purchased a used set of Klipsch recently which includes a KLF-C7 speaker and judging from specs alone, it looks like a better match for my Cornwalls than even the 'matching' Academy would be. They both have dual 8" woofers and horn mid/highs. Academy xover at 2200, KLF-C7 at 2000, somewhat similar woofer and driver materials, cabinet construction, etc. Are these speakers nearly identical or do the specs deceive me (as PWK said they might?) KLF is 99DB, whereas Academy is only 96!!?!?!

I'm looking forward to getting this set of speakers (4x RB5 + the KLF-C7) and mixing it up with my current system to see if this would be better:

Cornwall mains with KLF-C7 and RB3 rears

RB5 x 4 system with RC7 center

would the above be better matches than my current system which has Corns, RC7 and RB3's?

Just asking, thanks for any input. If the KLF-C7 doesn't work well with either setup, itll be for sale.

Michael

WOW...I did not realize they were so close Dim. wise. But the question to be asked...Is the Academy a better match from a sound/sonic/tembre perspective?

I would think (and that is dangerous for me)that the Academy would be a better all around center speaker then the one Hersey or even two put together when matched to a Khorn or Cornwall speaker? Am I wrong or am I on the wrong track???????

I havent put a bid in yet...but...I am close along with 10,000 other guys.

16.gif

Michael,

We've been 'round this mulberry bush before, my friend. Remember timbre? 2.gif Specs don't tell the tale. Neil Young and Luciano Pavarotti are both tenors, right?

The Academy does not match the Cornwall, nor does the KLF-C7. The Academy matches the Forte/Chorus/Quartet line, and the KLF-C7 matches the Legend series KLF-10/20/30. Neither will match the Cornwall particularly well, but its "good enoughness" in your room and for your ears is something only you can answer. The Heresy sounds more like the Cornwall than either, and I didn't like the Academy between Heresies. Again, though, comes the "good enoughness" question.

cob, I'm talking to you too. 1.gif

O

Thanks for input, but I consider the Heresy a poor man's mini-PA speaker. IMHO, It has neither the voicing, nor directionality, nor bass response necessary for a proper home theatre centre speaker, regardless of it's timbre matching with the Cornwall.

Heck, perhaps the Mighty Cornwall, with which I've become much enamoured, is a sucky HT speaker in it's own right ??!?!?!? Perhaps I should just trash all 12 pairs of Klipsch I own and start over cause it doesn't 'match'?!?!?!?!?

I am merely asking, which would be better in each situation? Cornwall with RC7 or with Academy, or KLF-C7? (I agree that vert corn on side would be best solution- Heresy a non-contender)

with RB5x4 system, again, which of the above centers would most closely match? RC7, Academy, or KLF-C7.

I persist that there are other important, possibly more important issues for a centre speaker than the strict timbre match with the front LR speakers. Directionality, voicing, bandwidth, efficiency, etc.....

respectfully,

Michael

If I understand you all correctly...The Academy is not the optimum match for the Heritage line?

I also see that the Heresy and Academy is fairly close to the same size? My wife does not want a large center speaker. Remember guys...A husband can be right or he can be happy!! HeHeHe

I might go another direction with the HT as far as the speakers go...I might soon have a pair of Cornwall II's for sale. If I sell these I would deliver throught out the midwest...ie: Mi, Tn, Oh, In, Ky, Northen Mi (I do not want to ship these)...I got a good deal on these and when I picked these up I found out these were II's and not Cornwall I"s...Sooooooo...I might put these up for sale. The Khorns I am keeping for 2 channel listening. I just bought the DeanG upgrade and these speakers will stay at my house.

We'll...Thats all for now.

16.gif