wanted: Academy Center

lipinski

Guest Anonymous

I read this article a few months a go http://www.stereophile.com/musicintheround/304round/ and IMO makes some sense,I have done a lot of different positioning with my KLF C7 and Heresy II main front channels with a little help with my Yamaha DSP A1 pre/pro center channel EQ and reached a good compromise timbre between center channel and front main speakers,next Sunday I will have to start all over againg due to the purchase of a Pair of Cornwall`s II I will be throwing in the mix as mains.Good luck on your search ..Tony

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Popbumper:

Your close, but it was 3 that came up at once, not 5.

As for what price to pay, I think Gary is spot-on. $600 is getting too high, but ultimatley it depends on how bad you want it.

I set the highest price I was willing to pay at $500, and it took me 2 years to get 1, or 3. The fact that their were 3 at once is the only reason I won. Otherwise, I'd probably still be waiting. The total cost for the 3 was $425, shipped to my doorstep. And I thought I did pretty darn good. They are a perfect timber match to my other heritage in WO.

That black one will probably go somewhere between $500 and $600. The other veneers will traditionaly go for more. The highest I've seen was over $900 for 1 in WO.

Good Luck!!

well, the speaker on ebay is black which matches the finish on my forte IIs.

seems like we ought to avoid a bidding war against each other. but, hey that's what ebay's all about.

i really appreciate the input from everyone.

i'm still wondering about a timbre match and smaller than forte's for surround speakers? anybody got any good advise? especially some poor match experience.

As far as the academy being almost as big as a heresy. No way. Not as close as the dimensions would have you think. The academy seems much smaller sitting next to a heresy and it was designed to be a center where the heresy looks like a full size speaker pretending to be a center.

I'm glad someone else thought the heresy made a sucky center. I much prefer the academy with my cornwalls even though they aren't a perfect timber match. Good enough for me though. The academy's voicing is much better than the heresy IMO.

Good luck with your bidding war.3.gif Who knows. Maybe another will pop up before the auction ends and you guys can each get one.1.gif

The difference between the Academy and KLF-C7 is subtle yet distinct when using them as a center channel for Cornwall mains. I first bought a KLF-C7 to use as a center channel. The timber matching, while close, just wasn't there when matched with the Cornwalls. Additionally when a sound would pan from left to right or in the other direction, the sound would jump at some point between the center and the main. Once I got an Academy to use for a center, the timber matching was better and any sounds panned smoothly across the front speakers. I have not had the opportunity to try a Heresy as a center so I can not comment on how one would sound. Just my two pennies.

GOD LOVE YA GARYMD! At last a brethren in the 'anti-timbre' league. Not that I'm against this somewhat critical match but blah blah blah, I've said it before. Now down to business..

For a pair of Main Cornwalls, which is best for centre HT?

Vertical Corn on side (obvious #1 choice, thanks INdyKF)

RC7 (totally modern but most timbre and xover mismatch)

Academy

KLF-C7

Thanks gang, I can't wait for the experimenting to begin...

Michael

1st Choice - Another Cornwall - Horizontal or Vertical!

2nd Choice - Academy

3rd Choice - Heresy (Series I)

Other options - Forte' & Quartet provided their is clearance for the rear mounted passive radiators.

Not ideal but will work - RC-7, KLF-C7, KV-4, KSP-C6

Don't kid yourself the Academy is a tremendous center and while specs may be similar on some of the other Klipsch centers the Academy will out perform them sonically! I just recently laid my hands on one and let me tell you they do not command the prices they do for no reason. This thing does dialogue superior to just about everything that I have heard. I had a KV-4 right before it, while the KV-4 specs are superior it cannot top the performance. The same would hold true for the KLF-C7 I am sure. I guess you will know soon enough though.

While it is rated at 96db sensitivity and my center La Scala is 104db I cannot differentiate between the two they perform as one! The La Scala is under the TV and the Academy on top.

Frzninvt and others, how exactly do you pull off using two speakers for center channel? Do you use a 2 channel amp and run the right wires to one and the left wires to the other? If that is true how do you feed the two channels of the amp? Some sort of "Y" cord going from the one center output from preamp to the R/L of the amp? The reason I ask is I am concerned when I have a large screen (at least large to me 45X80 92" diag.) that the center sound will not sound like it is coming from the screen but below/above if I only have one center. Actually that is what drove my post yesterday about perforated screens and placing the center behind the screen. I still like that idea but don't want to tarnish the sound or picture quality. I have a request for info out the Sound Research people.

Thanks, Rich

I have 2 4-channel amplifiers, I use a quality "Y" adapter off the NAD T163 and feed it into two separate channels on one of the amplifiers. The La Scala is on its side with the 43" RPTV perched on it, then the Academy is centered on top of the TV. Works great!

After reading various threads on the Academy I am starting to think (which is dangerous for me) that the use of an Academy with Khorns, Cornwalls or other similar speakers comes down to ones ability to listen. Some say the Academy will blend nicely while others say it will not. Some say it will offer a seamless approach to surround sound listening while others say it will not. Some say it isnt worth over $300 while some will pay $700-900 to obtain this fine speaker.

In my unlearned audio background and experience I have come to the conclusion that the following are important aspects to the match of the Academy in a HT system:

1) The size of your room

2) The type of equipment you are using

3) The type of wire one might be using for hook up

4) The speakers that will be matched to the Academy

5) Ones ability to really hear the subtle differences in the speakers

6) How much one wants to spend

7) How important it is to have a Academy

8) How much money one has to invest into a speaker

9) Etc.

After reading the many threads about the Academy and I have talked to a couple people about the Academy I am convinced it all comes down to ones personal opinion and taste in speakers. We all have them. I do enjoy listening to the various ideas, knowledgeable feedback, and personal experiences that have been posted on this thread.

Keep up the good work. Who says education isn't free!!!

16.gif

I will agree that the Heresy looks much bigger than the Academy. However it is still not what I would call a small speaker. If someone's SO has a problem with the size of a Heresy they will probably have an issue with the size of the Academy too. It ain't no Bose that was the only point I was trying to make.

Ugh not wanting to get into timbre matching again but I used a Heresy for years as a center between my Cornwall's and everyone who listened to my system was always impressed. Of course the vert Cornwall I have now is much better but the Heresy rocked too. So I guess it come down to what works in your room. One trick with the Heresy is to use it upside down tweeter next to the TV and then angle it down. You must use the same reasoning as aiming any horn speaker..you should be looking down the horn while seated. If those of you who tried Heresys did not do this then all the highs and mids would be zingging over your head and yes it would sound like crap.

Again to each his own but that is my 0.02 for the night 1.gif

Laters,

Jeff

Ok..The countdown begins...The Academy on ebay is at $315 with 3 days...3 hours...and 3 minutes to go. Any one want to take a guess what it's going to sell for? $400-$500-or above $600?

I find it interesting how one speaker can have so many different opinions about it...Some being good and some not so good.

Roll the dice and let the fun begin.

1.gif2.gif9.gif

A bit of redux, perhaps, but nonetheless valid here:

1) I have an Academy as a center between two Forte's; I think it is GREAT. For a center, I have also tried:

a) KG2 - not a bad match, though the treble was down a bit from the Forte's

B) Heresy II - BAD match, the Heresy II was FAR too bright between the Forte's.

c) Forte - uh, yeah, I tried a Forte recently, and without "properly" setting it up (level), I was not too impressed; I think the Academy has better voicing (so shoot me...;>))

2) I NOW have a set of Cornwalls, great day! I can NOW try Cornwalls with Academy and throw yet another "opinion" into the mix. Stand by for the unofficial results, at least I can do an A/B and perhaps shed more light on this conundrum.

Popbumper

3 days, 2 hours and i'm afraid bidding will get pretty steep. 11 bids from about 6 or 7 bidders so far. it'll probably cost me $600 bucks i'm afraid.

did somebody on this forum pick up the one that showed up last night with the Buy It Now feature? it was my anniversary last night and my wife and I were out having a nice dinner. I never even had a chance to see it available.

OOPPS.....Ok I got caught...I must confess...

It was me. The prices these are going for I thought I would risk $498 and if I don't like the Academy I can sell it to someone elses for what I paid for it. Time will tell. As it has been mentioned the sound is up to the individual and the opinions are all over the map in regard to the Academy and how they match with Khorns and Cornwalls. I guess I had to try it for myself and then I will never wonder what it really sounded like.

Happy Holidays!!!!

1.gif9.gif16.gif

The count down continues on the Black Academy...

2 days...2 hours...22 mimutes...22 seconds...

Who wants it the most?

The pressure is building...

It's the Super Bowl of Speaker auctions...

Will the dollars match the number of views at over 445 and counting?

Who will have the fastest computer to get that one last bid in?

We will all know soon....9.gif

yeah, you say that now after slurpin' up the late nite "buy it now" deal.

I spent the last 3 nights checkin'ebay at least 20 times a night. Hah.

Congradulations on pickin'off that one. Hopefully I get the other one Saturday night.

Anyone else on this forum planning on bidding on the other?