klipschorns vs. Wilson Audio

DTLongo

----------------

On 11/29/2004 8:00:35 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

B&W has some nice speakers but are way behind Klipsch in realism.

----------------

I have to wonder if you've heard any of the 800 or 700 series B&W's lately.

To me, "realism" is at least partly achieved by recreating lifelike three dimensional images, placed across a wide, deep soundstage. It is this area where the mighty k-horn has a weakness, imo. But I would guess this weakness may be ameliorated by the use of false corners, which allows the speakers to be brought out of the room corners. Maybe some of the guys who have heard k-horns both ways could offer an impression. I only used mine in corners, and have not really heard k-horns in a big room, with false corners.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 11/29/2004 9:04:59 PM jdm56 wrote:

To me, "realism" is at least partly achieved by recreating lifelike three dimensional images, placed across a wide, deep soundstage. It is this area where the mighty k-horn has a weakness, imo.

----------------

One can place the musicians of an orchestra easily enough in my set-up.

It's a shame the Klipsch guy refused to turn the volume up to the level the piece demands. He sure was stubborn, acting like the Khorns were going to break or something.

"Mars" should sound like the war of its subtitle. It needed to be at least twice as loud as it was at Indy.

++++++++++++++++

And not a tube amp in sight; very strange.

They ought ot find a litle room in the budget for VRDs and a BLueberry.

When I've heard Khorns at their best they had incredable depth and layering from front to back with instruments and singers having a very lifelike scale(you could clearly hear the back wall of the recording enviroment).The room was approx. 16x25 and I've heard them setup on a short wall as well as the long wall(my preferance) at different times, but both times there was an incredable soundstage and clarity.

The room I've described above was a Demo room for the Klipsch dealership many years ago and another thing that would happen was sometimes you could walk in there and depending on how things where aranged in the room they could sound very disapponinting which showed that the Khorn (like any speaker) needs the cooperation of the room to deliver all its capable of BUT give it a good enviroment and IMO its capable of the best reproduction of a recording I've ever heard.

I've had spreads of 11.5', 13.5', 17'and 20.5'in various rooms and my personal experience so far is that the Khorn likes 16' and wider spreads to really open up and deliver the kind of imaging I've experienced from them.

If you want to know what frustration is go from 20.5' to 11.5'!!!8.gif

mike1.gif

----------------

On 11/29/2004 5:41:03 PM kenratboy wrote:

Oh good, I was about to ask if your Vette was a ***** little 4-speed auto or a stick, but any Vette freak knows the Z06 only had one flavor of tranny
9.gif

----------------

405 Horsepower with a 6 speed manual baby! 1+G's in the corner on the stock tires and 12 sec 1/4's. That, my friends, is a real man's car! Rumor is, the new Z-06 will have 500+ HP/TQ from a hand built 427... grunt grunt! 11.gif

Randy / Peter,

Oooops! I swear that avatar didn't look like a woman to me!! Errrr... anyway.. I've changed it.

But that doesn't change the fact that Klipsch offers a "one-ness" with the music that not many other manufacturers offer.

9.gif At least someone paid attention to my post!

"Malefully" yours,

Fauzi

I have never heard any Wilson speakers. I'm sure they sound very good. I have heard, very recently, both the ATC SCM50 (one extended listening session) and the ATC SCM150 (two VERY extended listening sessions). Both are active loudspeakers. In Australia the ATC SCM 50 retails for $26,000 and the ATC SCM150, $75,000. I believe ATC are widely used in many recording studios. I remind you that the Klipschorns retail for under $15,000 in Australia.

Both ATC's were outstanding, with the SCM150 producing spl's approaching that of the Klipschorn. The SCM150's also approached the dynamic range of the Klipschorn, and I will have to admit, probably sounded more neutral in tone, with more extended bandwidth.

The Klipschorn had it all over both ATC's for stage width, imaging and sheer musicality. You don't have to work to get into the music with them. With the ATC's you have to work much harder. I can't put a finger on the reason for this. Ultimately, though, the ATC SCM150 is still a very satisfying loudspeaker.

The reason I auditioned the SCM150's is because these $75,000 loudspeakers have been offered to me for an unbelievable sum of money. They are brand new with a slight scratch on one cabinet. The (rather wealthy) customer refused delivery. Only a few thousand dollars more than a new pair of Klipschorns. Hmmmmmmm...

BUT, my Klipschorns sound so good that I hesitate, even when faced with such an outstanding opportunity...

----------------

On 11/30/2004 1:41:22 AM SoundBroker wrote:

----------------

Oh good, I was about to ask if your Vette was a ***** little 4-speed auto or a stick, but any Vette freak knows the Z06 only had one flavor of tranny
9.gif

----------------

405 Horsepower with a 6 speed manual baby! 1+G's in the corner on the stock tires and 12 sec 1/4's. That, my friends, is a real man's car! Rumor is, the new Z-06 will have 500+ HP/TQ from a hand built 427... grunt grunt!
11.gif

----------------

I have seen 7.0 liter and 540 HP come up a few times 6.gif

----------------

On 11/29/2004 9:10:04 PM paulparrot wrote:
You don't talk about sweet tone to

MARS, THE GOD OF WAR!!!

----------------

I do, and with a defiant look in my eye. 9.gif

Especially with Dionysus, God of all things entertaining, at my back.

I'm sure even Zeus himself would smile at the sound of great music through a pair of Khorns, regardless of volume 2.gif

----------------

On 11/30/2004 1:41:22 AM SoundBroker wrote:

----------------

9.gif

----------------

405 Horsepower with a 6 speed manual baby! 1+G's in the corner on the stock tires and 12 sec 1/4's. That, my friends, is a real man's car! Rumor is, the new Z-06 will have 500+ HP/TQ from a hand built 427... grunt grunt!
11.gif

----------------

50 grand? You should be running in the 7 sec zone for that. I used to have K-horns, 2 sets actually, I currently have chorus 2s, I listen to them in my office with a set amp. For serious listening, I listen to VMPS. When the volume went down, the quality went up. I guess it is wisdom, same reason I sold my K-horns, and my 6 sec NMRA outlaw street car. Wisdom.. 50 grand for 12 seconds? goofy.

----------------

50 grand? You should be running in the 7 sec zone for that. I used to have K-horns, 2 sets actually, I currently have chorus 2s, I listen to them in my office with a set amp. For serious listening, I listen to VMPS. When the volume went down, the quality went up. I guess it is wisdom, same reason I sold my K-horns, and my 6 sec NMRA outlaw street car. Wisdom.. 50 grand for 12 seconds? goofy.

----------------

Uh, yeah. A 7 second NMRA Street car is going to strictly be a 1 way trip down the dragstrip type vehicle, kinda the equivalent of putting a pair of Klipsch KPT-MCM-4T-Grand's in your living room...even more goofy in my head and not exactly my cuppa. The handling will be excellent...just as long as you don't want to turn or stop (big fat drag tires aren't exactly the ticket for generating high cornering speeds!) I wanted something that would also go to the track (the kind with curves). I could easily put about $10G into the car and have it into the 9's, still retaining the handling...but you can't use that sort of power on the road course with "only" 1 g capable suspension and you end up going slower round the track. Thanks, but no thanks! As for VMPS, not bad but I still prefer the Heritage...more grin factor 9.gif