klipschorns vs. Wilson Audio

DTLongo

Ribbons are a different world. The RM40's are really big, and you sure can't go low power with them. If one realizes that they can get new Klipschorns for around $5500, and not have to mortgage the house for an amplifier to make them sound good -- they are still a decent value compared to a lot of high end speakers. To be honest, with one of the better networks and careful placement, I don't really think they're all that colored. Hey, my music can use a little color.

On the "soul" thing, I think once the speakers get out of the way, and you hear more of the music and less of the gear -- listening becomes more of an emotional experience as opposed to an analytical one.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I enjoy my Hereseys, I look forward to the day when I can set up a listening room with the mighty Klipschorns. I have no desire, none whatsoever, not even an inkling, to even think about acquiring the overpriced and overhyped Watt speakers. I leave that to the $10.00+ cigar crowd.

I have seen Khorns go for under $2000. I can run them with almost any amp. They have been in "constant" production for 50+ years. They adhere to the laws of Physics. Their are just about the definition of "form follows functon".

And if you are fairly handy, you can build a pair.

Long after the Watt Puppies, Grand Slams and the rest of the Watt line fall out of fashion or are out of business, the Khorns will still be sought after and probably still be in production.

Anyone offended? Fine. Then go hang out on the Wilson Audio forum.

----------------

On 11/29/2004 9:38:12 AM stan krajewski wrote:

I have seen Khorns go for under $2000. I can run them with almost any amp. They have been in "constant" production for 50+ years. They adhere to the laws of Physics. Their are just about the definition of "form follows functon".

----------------

Stan,

I had a pair of speakers once that failed to adhere to the laws of physics. Left the door open by mistake and the damn things floated away...1.gif

----------------

On 11/29/2004 9:38:12 AM stan krajewski wrote:

Long after the Watt Puppies, Grand Slams and the rest of the Watt line fall out of fashion or are out of business, the Khorns will still be sought after and probably still be in production.

---------------

The Wilson WAMMs have been manufactured since 1981 and the WATTs since 1986 - pretty impressive IMO.

I define speaker "soul" as having an ability to involve, immerse, and promote an emotional response to the presentation.

Whether its visual arts, like a painting, or performing arts, like music, we all know when it's got it or it doesn't.

In the case of speakers, the ability to present the music in an involving way without "getting in the way" or calling attention to themselves.

When speakers "disappear", leaving just the music, that's what I would call "soul". And I think Khorns got that.

DM

----------------

On 11/28/2004 6:55:33 PM SoundBroker wrote:

As good as the big Wilsons are, I think they lack the one thing the big Klipsch speakers have in spades...soul.

----------------

I agree... I don't have K-Horns (yet!) but I notice the same quality with my kg4's. Klipsch speakers just seem to be *musical* rather than analytical. However they may be colored, they're colored in a manner that seems to serve the music.

I suspect that PWK was more interested in capturing the emotion of a musical event (the concerts he used to attend) rather than capturing the exact timbre of the third trombone on the right or making instruments seem as if they're hanging in space one foot in front of and two-and-a-half feet to the right of the speaker.

Whatever his philosophy was, I like it! 2.gif

Take care,

Scott

----------------

On 11/29/2004 2:25:50 PM scotbuck wrote:

I suspect that PWK was more interested in capturing the emotion of a musical event (the concerts he used to attend) rather than capturing the exact timbre of the third trombone on the right or making instruments seem as if they're hanging in space one foot in front of and two-and-a-half feet to the right of the speaker.

Scott

----------------

Don't confuse "exact timbre" with soundstage or detail retrival. If you don't have the exact timbre, forget about capturing the emotion.

----------------

On 11/29/2004 4:31:05 AM DTLongo wrote:

My recently remodeled 16' x 16' room is probably not large-enough ideal for Khorns, but one side and the back wall have large door openings plus the room has a cathedral ceiling, which opens it up and breaks up standing waves. The Khorns are in ideal corners.

----------------

The cathedral ceiling will help immensely. They love to have breathing room.

SoundBroker:

You need to spend some more time posting here! That is one of the best posts I have read on the internet, evAr!!!

While my hi-end audio experience is as limited as exotic cars (read: little to none), I agree, some speakers have soul, and others do not. I would love to A/B a pair of Wilson's with Khorns.

In general, for rock, electronic music (lots of bass, HUGE dynamica and SLAM), would something like the Wilson's be better because they will be able to directly decode what is on the CD? Where as with the Khorns, they excel in more organic misic?

I still love the B&W 800 Series, and they new line is out now, they look AMAZING.

----------------

On 11/29/2004 5:47:09 AM radiob wrote:

I have listened to the WATT PUPPYS, a dealer in my home town used to carry the wilson line , he also carried vmps, in my opinion, the vmps/ elixer sounds far better than anything I heard from wilson. A better value is the vmps rm40. does a klipschorn compare?, well the rm 40 is cheaper than the klipschorn, not as efficient, less colored,has a huge detailed soundstage, has real bass, has won best of show regardless of price 2 years in a row at the CES show, does the watt puppy or k-horn compare?, NO Way.
2.gif

----------------

Thanks for all the compiments! 9.gif

I've also heard the VMPS and it sounded good...but that is the difference! The Wilsons and the VMPS and the B&W's *sound* good...but the KHorns are different. When you listen to K-Horns or the other big Heritage speakers, you are not going to end up paying that much attention to the *sound* of the speaker...you end up paying attention to the *music* and THAT is the point. The VMPS has won best of show, fair enough. My one question...did those shows have K-Horns set up? Actually...to Klipsch's detriment...I can't actually remember a show where they had *any* of the big Heritage series speakers on active demo and that is a crying shame!

A good analogy I'd make is to compare the speakers to cars. When I shopped for a new toy to put in the garage and had $50K to spend on something new, it came down to 2 different cars for me. The BMW M3, which is technically awesome, has great handling, makes good sounds, and has some semblence of practicality. Or the Corvette Z06...which is raucous, fast as snot, is impractical with only 2 seats, and is very in your face...basically a thinly disguised racecar for the street. After a blast thru a local test course with both, I was very appreciative and impressed with the technology and precision of the BMW...but I came back with a huge grin on my face after driving the totally viceral Z06. The BMW appealed to my frontal cortex...the Z06 appealed to the meat eating, drum pounding lizard part of my brain. The Z06 now sits in my garage.

I see the Klipsch Heritage speakers as the Corvette of the audio world. They are not very practical, won't make your spouse very happy (though my little 2 1/2 yeare old daugher LOVES to ride in "dada's fast car"...she GETS IT!9.gif), are responsive and accessable to modifications, have a cult following of TRUE believers who all have a HELL of a lot of fun with them, have a lot of LONG time owners (not a few years...decades), have been in production for a LONG time...and will make you grin everytime you use them.

there is no doubt that the VMPS speakers are great value for the money, they beat most dynamic speakers dollar for dollar and the ribbon tweeter adds a nice top end...BUT they still sound totally different than horn speakers, if you like the horn sound, no wilson, no revel, no vmps can "ring your bell"...I prefer the horn sound, others prefer dynamic, ribbon, etc. find what you like and enjoy it. I do. tony

If the reviews are sound I have read the VPMS sounds like a pretty solid speaker builder.

Wilson I need to hear someday.

B&W has some nice speakers but are way behind Klipsch in realism.

WHat I do not get a t all is Martin Logan.

Bright with unnatural soundstage. They seem like the "emporers new clothes" kind of spekaers.

"oh sure they sound great" YUCK

----------------

On 11/29/2004 1:35:37 AM nicholtl wrote:

Brings a smile to your face.

----------------

I'll never forget my first experience with Khorns - at Klipsch HQ, listening to GaryMD's copy of Mars, Bringer of War in the Heritage room. They went from the Heresy II's (I hated them) to the Belles (big improvement) then switched to the big daddies. They didn't just "bring" a smile to my face, they slapped that smile upside my skull - it was instantaneous. I've never had that kind of a moment with a pair of speakers other than the Khorns.

----------------

On 11/29/2004 5:09:00 PM rtaylor wrote:

Fauzi,I may have missed something here so forgive me but I need to ask why you have a woman avatar? I thought you were a lady then you mentioned your wife.

I was thinking the same thing...

It's a shame the Klipsch guy refused to turn the volume up to the level the piece demands. He sure was stubborn, acting like the Khorns were going to break or something.

"Mars" should sound like the war of its subtitle. It needed to be at least twice as loud as it was at Indy.