Latest Audiogon bargains

Guy Landau

Qow, those quicksilver mono's look nice and for the price, they cannot be beat. Someone could have some sweet sound if they picked them up to use with there Klipsch speakers and a nice tube preamp.

That is 60watts per channel of pure PUSH/PULL Rock power, anyone wanting to pay thier respects to the Gods of rock must have these at thier disposal10.gif9.gif

----------------

On 11/30/2004 1:47:51 PM Tom Mobley wrote:

wow, that was a nice deal on the Thorens. Guy was also throwing in all kinds of stuff.

Killer deal on the Quickies too. If I hadn't just blown a bunch of money on family Christmas stuff I'd already own those.

Those guys must be unloading stuff for holiday money.----------------

I've got to upload a lot of spare tube stuff real soon too. It might be worth waiting for it.

The list contains:

1. A fully rebuilt and retubed (with new JJ EL34's and Sovtek 5AR4) Dyna Stereo 70 amp . $425

2. A factory built Scott LK-72 (299C) in top cosmetic condition (new Sovtek 5AR4 and JJ 12AX7). $350

3. 1 Pair (of 2 that I've got) of Interelectronics Coronation, 40 watt, Push-pull, KT66 monoblocks. These have very highly regarded Peerless transformers and are fully rebuilt. Come with NOS 5881 tubes. $800

4. 1 pair of Luxman, MB3045 Push-pull, KT88 monoblocks (currnetly on Audiogon). $1200 or $1100 if you supply your own KT88's.

If anyone's interested in any of the items, Please PM or email me.

----------------

On 12/1/2004 11:23:44 AM Frzninvt wrote:

How do you think those Quicksilver's will work as my introduction to tubes? I have the scratch to pick them up and they seem to still be available. I would use them to run my Khorn mains, thoughts? Should I do it?
----------------

They'll probably do a great job. Craig had recently worked on a pair and said that they sounded beautiful.

They use the 8417 tubes which are quite rare but some spares are included and I guess that the amps won't work that hard driving your Khorns.

Mike Sanders (the owner of Quicksilver) can modify them to take EL34's once you run out of 8417s, at a very reasonable $250 cost (new tubes included).

Do tube amps generate ambient noise when idle? Just wondering what to expect. I did email the seller an offer, if he takes it I will be owning my first tube amps. Thanks for posting the link Guy, I am thinking that 50W-60W of tube power should be awesome.

Nice to know that the company is still in business and offers to upgrade and service them still. The speaker connects look odd though, I assume for different ohm load configurations.

Who knows if I like them I would need six more to run 8 channels of tube power, uh oh! I can hear my wife already.

One thing anyone purchasing this amp should realize it was designed from get street the run 8417 tubes and this is what it will sound the best with any change will deter from the amps sound at least to some extent. If I was contemplating buying it I would definitely want some absolute assurance that the output tubes are indeed good that come with the amp. The reason these amps go cheap is the output tubes are super hard to find. I rebuilt and modified one to allow separate biasing of each individual tube for a customer not long ago he had 12 - 8417 that he paid dearly for and out of these 12 I played hell finding 4 that would hold a steady bias. Forget finding reliable 8417 IMHO.

Craig

----------------

On 12/1/2004 3:12:48 PM Frzninvt wrote:

Do tube amps generate ambient noise when idle----------------

Absolutely not !! If everything is working up to shuff a Push Pull tube "POWER" amp should be near dead silent with maybe just a slight hint of hiss with you ear up to the speaker. Tube preamps tend to put more noise in the mix then the power amp. Now when I say this I mean you have nothing connected to the power amp except the speakers and the input is shorted. Start attaching cables and preamps and noise maybe added but the same is true for SS amps.

Craig

Guy the $250 is plus tubes so the total cost is most likely in the $350 range

From QS website

For $250/pair (plus cost of new tubes), we can modify your amplifers to use EL34 output tubes by changing the front end circuitry and the bias circuitry. We also replace the 12BH7 with a 6922. This modification must be done at Quicksilver and comes with a one year warranty.