Football & domed stadiums

SteelerFan

Is it just me or does anyone else just hate watching a football game played in a dome on artificial turf?

I just loved the Raiders vs Broncos Sunday. Wish the Pats and Ravens in the rain had been on TV down here. Now to me that's how football was meant to be played.1.gif

I'm glad Heinz Field isn't a dome.

unless properly teated, domes have horrible acoustics for horns, you can hear everything from the corners to the center, need acoustic panels to dampen the crowd noise, plus the green carpet and the weird lighting makes everything look fake, as if it was all just some gladitor show...

2.gif

----------------

On 11/29/2004 10:55:44 PM m00n wrote:

Yeah I like open stadiums when it snows and rains, makes for good slushy fun. Seattle just built a new stadium for the Seahawks, it's open. Actually both teh seahawks and mariners got new stadiums up in seattle this year.

----------------

[/blockquote

Isn't their new stadium one of those retractable roof jobs? If so they would probably close it during nasty weather.

These new stadiums they're building are really terrific.

Hey Steelerfan, it's good to be a steelhead right now huh?

I've been part of Steeler Nation since I was 12 years old, 1976. Haven't missed a game since 1995. Traveled to see the Patriots get mugged at Heinz field this year. That was quite a scene on the North shore!

Greg

I will lose on this one, but in December/Jan I have to admit.... nothing more comfortable than walking in to 70-72* indoor weather, being able to have room around you have a snack without mittens and enjoying the Colts winning in a dome stadium. The crowd noise is sooo intense in a dome stadium too. Green Bay, New England, Cleveland, love to visit ya... just let it be at the start of the season!

I think this is a inbread thing. (not meaning to mean anything bad) but to sit outside in insane levels of cold and little comfort..even if bundled up, just to sit for 3 hrs... is nuts. Especially with teams not going anyplace deep in the playoffs or superbowl. This year is an amazing one for the Colts. Let em win this year, and I will die a happy NFL fan.

GO COLTS!!

----------------

On 11/29/2004 10:23:58 PM lipinski wrote:

Can you imagine playing on that concrete with a plastic pad. i don't think so.
----------------

In the 70s when I was earning my way through college via football it was the rage to have the concrete pad astroturf in most of the venues - outside none the less. That stuff was very much like the crap you put on outdoor patios.

You end up with rug burns that will not go away through out the season. I still carry scars from this burning.

Your knees hurt continously. It is exactly like running on concrete.

The traction is excellent. Us big guys couldn't go full speed except straight away, otherwise inertia would send the upper body one direction that was contrary to the direction of a planted foot. The little quick guys became darn hard to keep up with.

You learn to fall differently than on regular turf. If you don't exhale as you are going down you end up cracking a rib.

I never played indoors and have a hard time envisioning the game without the elements.

We really did look forward to playing on real grass. It may have slowed us down a bit, but it did open us up to be more reckless with our bodies. The old concrete astroturf wasn't such a good thing to the players. This newer, plusher version like they have in may of the stadiums gets great reviews from the players.

I don't think the type of stadium it is doesn't really matter much any more these days as a wealth of open-air stadiums also use artifical turf on their fields, too. That goes for baseball, as well. My personal preference is for natural turf, regarding both games. I hope they never consider artifical ice for hockey! 9.gif

I heard this last Sunday: Sid Abel predicts the next NHL game will be played in January......2006! He was dead serious. Rats!