Cornwall B-3 Crossover Compatible w/K-55V?

Frzninvt

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys, took bull by the horns and called Big Daddy Klipsch today. The prototypical 'longtime listener, first time caller' bit.

Steve Bailey, who is checking with the other Steves, is unsure about the K57K/B3 combination. Sounds like there was a lot of live engineering changes on the assembly line back then, especially the Heresy and Cornwall. Parts department says they show ZERO replacement parts for the K57K mid driver, so lots of people including me are out of luck if they ever blow up.

More to follow.

Michael

----------------

On 12/7/2004 11:38:52 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

You mean you don't have 'no panty Thursdays' at your offices? The panty term is used interchangably to mean undergarments of any type, mens or ladies.

----------------

I didn't think the "panty" term could be used interchangably... 2.gif but in any case, given my co-workers, i'm glad we don't! 3.gif

BTW, the mid drivers (K-51, K-55, K-57) are VERY reliable units... and I have rarely heard of anyone needing a new diaphragm. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it...

Check out U2's video Rattle and Hum, Bono is in Arizona or somewhere out west purchasing new cowboy boots for his 'Americana' image. Looks at camera and says something to the effect of 'New Boots and Panties' as in - there is nothing that makes you feel good like new shoes and underware.

Another term would be calling it 'going commando', but then the girlies object to that.

In best Rooster imitation.."It's a joke, son, y'a get it, I said it's a JOKE!"

Michael

Michael -- I hadn't seen your post where you called Klipsch today, and it was on my list of things to do - so I called them too. I spoke with Steve Baily, who said they're aggressively pursing the matter. I'm sure Trey will get involved shortly, and I would expect one of them to pop in here eventually.

Hi guys! I just looked again inside my cornwalls again

The woofers are positively K-33-E both have square black magnets

and black baskets.

Both tweeters are K-77-M square magnets and are easily readable

The mid squakers are both black,They both have raised rib like lines on the outside,both have a raised PWK like emblem on the flat flare part.

The flares for the mids are made out of cast iron right? Non magnetic,cold to the touch.

Now the first time I looked, it was dark (my townhome has a real poor layout for lighting)I now have a million candle portable spotlight.

One sqauker has no ink/writing on it, but they are both identical in size,and the same magnets ect.

The one with the ink/writing on the magnet, the letter is smeared towards the 2#s, you cant read the letter at all,but the more I look at the second # the more it appears to be a 7 and not a 5.

15.gif

This would then validate the info Frzninvt got from Klipsch in regards to the B3 and the speaker #s used.

Right now im curled up in the fetal position on the floor of the shower,water running,blabbering to myself,"How could I have decieved so many,so quikly,by misreading the #s on the one squaker 6.gif

Now since Im cleaning my slate, here I one more item I would like to clarify. The 680I was not rated into 4ohms and breif 2ohm loads. It was the 990vxi that was rated that way.

The 680I was rated at half power bandwith along with full power bandwith specs.

Colter/Frzninvt/DeanG I am truly sorry!! about this snafu.

Frzvinmn/Tomski

12.gif

My name is Michael and I'm a Klipschaholic. (sarcasm)

I have sinned by purchasing Klipsch speakers new in box that I had absolutely no use for. Just felt good having them on the shelf. I did dust them off occasioinally.

I have sinned by mixing Heritage and Reference to a great degree. ONe of the worst mismatches ever conceived on this Earth, the Cornwall and RC7. The Lords of Timbre will have their way with me in the afterlife.

I have mislead other Klipsch fans by claiming to purchase certain part(s), then being decieved into purchasing inferior, faulty, poorly engineered Klipsch products.

I have deliberately and wontonly wired my Klipsch speakers with standard 16 ga zip cord to no less than those screechiest of electronical boxes, the Yamaha Receiver.

I have rubbed my Cornwalls against the grain with standard grade furniture oil, not the holy Boiled Linseed Oil of Antioch.

...sob, I think I need a meeting...

Seriously, spoke with Dean, our resident crossover wizard at some length today. He assured me that all was allright, that any component marked with the magical PWK symbols would create the song of angels and that my inner ears would not turn inside out. Quite the gentleman Dean, probably spent over an hour on the phone talking me down off that tower where I knelt, crouched, drooling, in my favorite nylon tricot finery, with enough rubber bullets to take down an army of engineers.

Michael

LOL.

"...our resident crossover wizard..."

That's the funniest thing in your post. Hey, I'm really good with a glue gun though! We might want to save that desigation for someone here who actually knows how to design a proper filter. 9.gif

Nice chat!

Michael thats music to our ears(The calming effect of the phone call)I am also a Klipschaholic,I have also used the Cornwalls with the RC-7.

I do happen to like my theater sound,when I do use it,not my ideal setup but I dont think ill ever have a ideal setup in my veiw.

I was just wondering,is every reply I give instantly dissected by a team of experts at Klipsch to find errors 2.gif

On a serious note,so Klipsch made 2 different K-57Ks one with a metal flare mounted on the inside and one with a plastic flare that was screwed on from the front of the speaker?

Tom

----------------

On 12/8/2004 8:19:40 PM tomski wrote:

On a serious note,so Klipsch made 2 different K-57Ks one with a metal flare mounted on the inside and one with a plastic flare that was screwed on from the front of the speaker?

----------------

Actually the K-57 refers to the midrange driver... which in turn is attached to the midrange horn.

Klipsch made one K-57 driver... but many horns for it. It's the horn which evolved from the metal rear mounted to the composite (EDIT: not just plastic) front mounted one in the Cornwall II.

Note that the same applies to the K-55 driver which was used with different horns in the Heresy, Cornwall, Belle, Khorn, etc...

Later...

Rob

----------------

On 12/9/2004 3:21:49 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

If it's composite, it's just a mix of polymers, hence PLASTIC. I know, the marketing folks are cringing.

----------------

Probably is just a reinforced plastic... especially given how vaguely the word "plastic" is defined. Their marketing folks must be bowing their heads in shame... 2.gif

• Klipsch Employees

The Cornwall changed some over the years...some time in the early 80's Klipsch finished the "R&D" on the Cornwall II. Up to that point there were many versions. For the mid they used the Atlas "k-55-v" as well as the k-57-k and I have even seen the K-55-M in there. The difference in these drivers is one that most will notice. But, on the other hand, with the same xover, most would be happy. I think Steve was right, there is as much as a +3db change from one driver to the other. That will change the sound of the speaker...