Forte II, Are older speakers still good?

FRAZIER

Hi,

I have 3 Forte II speakers from early 90's. I used to have two pairs, but ONE?! speaker was stolen last year. This just means that I can use the remaining one as a center channel. LOL To complete the set, for rear channels, I'm considering just getting another pair off of ebay for +- $500

Should I do this, or just scrap the idea, sell them, and get something new for around the same price?

I believe I can still replace the driver if one should blow or fail, (I think Klipsch still can supply a replacement, but I'm not sure) Does anyone know the replacement cost of a new driver, or if they are still available?

Can horns blow or fail?

What you you guys think of older speakers such as these vs. new higher technology speakers? Looking for "best bang for buck" HT and music listening

thanks

Frazier,

I'm sorry to say this but Forte II speakers really suck. You should sellthem and buy something like Bose instead.

Oh, by the way, I'll take them off your hands for you to save you the embarassment of selling them.

NOT!

A five set of Forte II would make for a killer HT system. Early 90's huh? My La Scala's were built in 1973! You can hold on to them for a long time. They are still as good as they ever were. Don't let some HiFi store salesperson convince you otherwise.

Welcome to the forum! I've been here since last winter and it's a great place!

Thanks, Flynn

So, do you think that another pair of Forte's would be good for the rear also?

What about repair issues down the road? Is Klipsch still making parts for these, and will they continue to?

Can the horn mids or tweeters be blown or damaged like a traditional round driver?

thanks again

I think 3 in front and 2 in the back would be great for movies and fantastic for multichannel music (DVD-A and SACD). Keep them all the same!

As for repairs, there are many very qualified and friendly people on this forum that can help (Al K, Bob Crites, DeanG and others). When you blow a horn tweeter, it's usually an inexpensive fix of the diaphram in the driver itself (it that ever happens to you).

Do you think I would need a sub with this setup? I have a 200wpc adcom amp for fronts, and they put out pretty good bass. Rears and center will be driven by Pioneer 1014 surround receiver.

Having never owned a subwoofer before, I don't know if a cheaper ($500-$600) model would really add that much to the bottom for music or hame theater. Again, thanks to all for the opinions.

I agree with Seadog. I don't think you can ever get the full HT experience without a sub.

My sub adds a lot to music, but then I have La Scala's which roll off in the 50's.

A $500 to $600 sub is exactly what I have and I can recommend it: Hsu STF-3. I think you need to go much more expensive to match or beat it in the Klipsch lineup, so if that's your sub budget I probably wouldn't opt for Klipsch (sorry guys!)

Mr. F.

Forte II are wonderful. I bought a pair, used, and listen to them every day at the office with music from the classical station. Rock on weekends. All good.

Speakers are not like cars or computers. They don't wear out and newer ones are not really superior.

There may be need for a sub in an HT situation but I'd not rush into it. The Forte II are very solid. The issue is that people tend to crank movies with very intense bass and perhaps a dedicated sub is necessary for explosions.

One of our buddies here, Horn Ed, takes a strong position that the center channel in HT does most of the work and must be of a quality equal to the flanking units and capable of handling the program material. I think he is correct. So you're in good shape.

Best,

Gil

I may be sacrilidge for some but I must spout forth.

If it is really a love for music; chuck the big push for 5 channel.

Get it really right in 2 channel first.

And make minor investments in multi channel. Maybe in another room use the extra Forte for center and used hereseys or a KG model for the mains and surrounds

I have about $ 4500 invested in a my version of a Klipsch Reference HT system.

It is not musical due to big power SS amplification and mas market digital. Although.....The system does awesome movie performance.

My Chorus II( big brother of the Forte by some defnitions) 2 channle system kicks the HT systems butt musically with vintage push pull tube power of humble wattage.

I appreciate the advice Flynn

While I know my system may be lacking a bit in amp and processor quality, we really want the five channel for movies.

A second room is not available, so in the future, I may invest in a better pre-amp and amp for the front, and use in the same room.

While I have your attention, what do you you think about using two pairs of Forte II's for just a front two channel setup only. Before my one Forte was stolen, I used to run this setup on just the one SS amp. It seemed to me that I got much fuller sound than just the one pair of speakers.

Hi, check out Partsexpress for subs. Kits or full blown DIY. (Hint;15" Titanic) http://www.partsexpress.com

If you have problems with horn drivers, it's usually just a matter of replacing the diaphram, and yes, they're available.

Stealing 1 speaker is rediculous, unless you're into mono.

I've a pair of Frazier model 7's, on my 2-channel system, any relation?

I've often seen 1 shoe in the middle of the road, and me wonders, how does a person loose a shoe and not notice?

Enjoy the forum.

If you could pull it off financially.

Get a really good pre pro (Aragon, Parasound or something...) with analog pass through for several inputs and get a set of tube monoblocks like the VRDs for right and left.

Use your ADCOM for the other channels.

3 Fortes across the front

Heresesy or Fortes in the rear

RSW 12 subwoofer (movies only, subs can disrupt soundstage from the Fortes)

Ha, Iron I hope whomever took my speaker chokes on it.

No there is no relation to Frazier audio, but I'll tell you a funny story.

My Dad and I are contractors, and partners, but before I was working with him he did a remodel on a big house in Atlanta where they now hold events such as weddings, etc. He put in a big media room for them. Every time I go there (seldom), I'm always interested in the media room, and on the front of the speakers the tag says "FRAZIER". I think that is hilarious, and it always surprises me, so I always ask him if some company named Frazier made them, or did they just custom make the face plate with his name on them? I have never heard of Frazier speakers. He just gets this ridiculous smile on his face and won't answer the question.

Again thanks to all for the suggestions

You have some great speakers there. Two more would be ideal. A pair of Quartets would also make fine surrounds, would cost a little less, and would take less space if those are concerns. The Heresy is not really a good match to the Forte -- think "if all else fails" there.

I have nearly that exact system. I got Fortes for 2 ch in 1989, then eventually moved them to rears, getting two Forte IIs for fronts, and their little-sibling Quartet for a center last year. The Quartet, with riser off, is small enough (40 lbs.) to go on top of most RPTVs. Quartets have same midrange and tweeter as Forte IIs, so essentially an exact timbre match across the front. I use an RW-12 for a sub, and could probably use a larger one, but the RW-12 definitely asserts itself even in my 18x24x9+ room.

Clearly, three Fortes across the front, with Fortes or Quartets in rear, will be nearly unsurpassable.

----------------

On 12/2/2004 2:38:33 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

If you could pull it off financially.

Get a really good pre pro (Aragon, Parasound or something...) with analog pass through for several inputs and get a set of tube monoblocks like the VRDs for right and left.

Use your ADCOM for the other channels.

3 Fortes across the front

Heresesy or Fortes in the rear

RSW 12 subwoofer (movies only, subs can disrupt soundstage from the Fortes)

----------------

Flynn provides good tips on improving your two-channel. Since you have one room to work with, at some point, if the budget allows, you could opt for a nice preamp (even tubed 1.gif) with HT pass through capability. I run a Peach preamp for my two-channel that has a HT passthrough. That way I can run my mains in two-channel off of the Peach or also use the mains for movies (off of a separate processor fed to the Peach - through the pass through - to my mains' amps - tube monoblocs). If you use a nice pre with a HT pass through (insert brand/model of choice), you could still use your Pioneer as a HT processor.

Flynn's suggestion on tube amplification for your Forte two-channel is also a good one. Even though there is a continuing debate in here of tubes vs. solid state, even I am now convinced that nice quality tube amps blend well with Klipsch speakers. (However, there is still a place in my rig for the heavy solid state stuff too!!) So that is just something to think of - down the road.

But, yes, keep the Fortes. I have Reference seven series, part of the "new" stuff, and while I love them, I am also adding some of the older Klipsch into my setup. There is something to be said for classic designs.

Enjoy them.

Carl.