Music in the morning: HARD or soft?

Colin

Amy has a tough job riding heard on the motley crew (no pun intended) that hangs out here! Yep she reads em, but lets most things slide, or we are slowly falling in line with the rules without knowing it 6.gif

Me, quiet in the morning. I get up at 3:00 am and try to not disturb the wife too much. Out the door and turn on talk radio. It is Morning in America by Bill Bennett. I have even called and been on the show while driving the 60 miles to work. The traffic in L.A. is much nicer at 4:00 am than it is even at 5:00! You can drive the speed limit all the way with only a few other cars on the road with you. Wait an hour and it is a totally different story.

On the way home it is again talk radio but during the day, it is classic oldies R&R. At home it is whatever I need to feel at the time. Some fast, some slow and some in the middle.

Cablacksmith, you wake up at 3am?? And then drive 60 miles to work? Wow, if I looked up "trooper" in Merriam-Webster's dictionary, it would say "Cablacksmith."

And yeah, traffic at 3am vs. 5pm in LA? Tell me about it. Ever turn to 105.9 and listen to the folks at Power saying, "give your shout outs when yo a$$ is in traffic?" Funny stuff.

Man, there are more of us Klipchers in the greater LA than I realized. Me, you, Allan Songer...

----------------

On 12/9/2004 3:13:49 PM m00n wrote:

krustyoldsarge

Right on! Did he ever get his oil back? Did the police make him turn it down?

----------------

He didn't get his oil back, in Korea the foreigner/American is always wrong in the eyes of the law.

He turned it down on his own while the police were there.

Today's episode is two flat tires on Woody's car this morning.

Aside:

Guys and gals, before you "buy Korean" remember that this kind of grief is an every day occurance for an American over here defending THEIR country. The more money they have, the harder it is on us. I'm beginning to believe that the Koreans are worse ingrates than the French!

Colin, what a beautifull written intro. Me thinks the rocker has gentrified. Hope everyone really caught your much deeper meaning.

WOODY rocks, and what an appropriate name for a thread entitled HARD or SOFT.

The only way to wake up is Hard. Led Zep all the way. Okay, sometimes it's Miles Davis, electric Miles. When I feel like Screaming, it's Deep Purple. Sleep, who sleeps...

Sarge, tell Woody that Ozzy is the best music for pi$$ing off neighbors. It's either a great military and rock and roll rumor or the truth that one of the armed forces played Ozzy at massive volumes when they were trying to route a certain villan (Noriega?) from his lair.

How 'bout Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries', from Apocalypse Now? Talk about striking fear into the hearts of the natives.

...Don't even get me started on the Amish, talk about some hillbilly neighbors. One old guy has 100 grandkids (hills accent) 'we so po the only luxury we can afford is f#c&!n@' (did that get by Amy??LOL) (Thank GOD I'm back to civilization now -Indy)

Michael

----------------

On 12/10/2004 6:08:03 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

WOODY rocks, and what an appropriate name for a thread entitled HARD or SOFT.

The only way to wake up is Hard. Led Zep all the way.

Sarge, tell Woody that Ozzy is the best music for pi$$ing off neighbors. It's either a great military and rock and roll rumor or the truth that one of the armed forces played Ozzy at massive volumes when they were trying to route a certain villan (Noriega?) from his lair.

How 'bout Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries', from Apocalypse Now? Talk about striking fear into the hearts of the natives.

...Don't even get me started on the Amish, talk about some hillbilly neighbors. Thank GOD I'm back to civilization now (Indy)

Michael

----------------

Believe your Noriega story is factual, remember it from "Stars and Stripes" reports.

Agree with your selections and I'll definitely pass him the info. Since his dispute has escalated to vandalism against his automobile, he might now be considering another "theater of operations".

After working retail for many years I found myself puting out a lot of information and and taking in little pertaining to the world and local on-goings. So I decided that local talk radio during the week with my own B.S. filter turned on was just the ticket. In the morning (in Cincinnati) from 9AM to Noon it's 700(AM)-WLW with Mike McConnell, then Noon to 3PM it's 550(AM) for Rush Limbaugh then 3PM to whenever it's back to 700-WLW with Gary Burbank and his comical antics and characters.

The weekend mornings are usualy soft (Simon and Garfunkle, etc.) for having pancakes with the little woman.

I usually consider listening to music to be a kind of happy reward but being out of work lately I havn't been in a very satisfied mood lately. The music I have had on as of late has been some like Satie's works or other sad orchestral pieces.

101 Blues CDs in rotation gets me out of bed in the morning, in the showerand out the door. It drowns out the wife's annoying Katie Couric agenda. Its not all blues blues-- there's alot of blues based stuff: Blind Melon, Norah Jones, Stones, Fleetwood Mac before Buckingham Nicks, ZZTop, Lightnin Hopkins, Muddy, Wolf, Walter Horton, Johnny Shines, Junior, J.J. Cale, Roy Buchanan etc--

One of my favorite blues cranker to play in the morning is Indigenous--absolutely ripping guitar licks faster than SRV--most of their albums are very predictable, but the live in the Pachyderm studio CD is scorching -- wakes me up!

Someplace in the a.m. I get in the compact tub with the sliding glass doors and click on NPR on the Sony tap tune.

Funny. The real issue on the mind is how much acoustic treatment it will take to address the slap echo in the living room. Sliding the glass doors open to create about 20 percent anechoic conditions does kill the echo in the tub. So will 20 percent coverage be enough?

Some mornings I do the stairs in prep for the Hustle up the Hancock. Same old rock and roll on the walkperson. Gee, I heard this fine piece of rock when it first came out. Now it is trite. Head banger rock has no appeal either.

Gil

I like listening to popular music in the mornings, easy listening top 40 stuff. Something with a bit of zip. Not Rap though. Early aftenoons I like some rock n' roll. Early Elvis, Fogerty, mabe some 50's doo ***. Especially when I'm pumping iron. Evening's well I get serious then. I start with some acoustic blues, Eric Bibb, maybe Keb Mo', a bit of gospel, then into the light classics, Baroque, violin concerto's etc.