URGENT!!! Tannoy Speakers?

Woodog

Saw this in the classifieds where I work just a few moments ago

-------

We've sold our home and have to have everything out by 12/14. Below is a list of items that we will be selling at a DEEP DISCOUNT. If you have any interest, give us a call (numbers blacked out for this crowd! lol!) or just stop out anytime Saturday (12/11) between 8 & 4! Call for directions!

1. Tannoy Speakers in great cabinets (approx 24x24x36)

2. Klipsch Corner Horn Speakers- fantastic sound but huge!

3. Kawai Piano (practically unused!)

------------------------

So I called... I've already bought the corner horns... $900 (3 miles from where I live). 1979 maple wood, they think. Doesn't really matter... I know it's a good deal.

question... what are the TAnnoy speakers worth,.... do ya think?

He said they bought the TAnnoy's new a few years before the Khorns.

I have no idea which models they are yet (going tonight to look at em).

So any guesses?

I've got an hour before I leave. I just saw the classifieds.

If they are worth it, I might buy em to turn em around (or to keep if they outshine the khorns).

let me know,

Forrest

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 12/10/2004 7:20:22 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

Nice score on the horns. I would have probably left work early to check em out, or maybe even just bought em sight unseen if the description sounded like they were on decent shape.

Good luck with the Tannoys.

----------------

I *DID* buy the khorns sight unseen. I'm low on cash but far from crazy. They've lived at the same location for 30 years, bought both pairs of speakers near the same time, never moved them.

The seller is a psychology professor at WKU who is relocating to Utah (those folks in Utah need psychological help, I think).

On 12/10/2004 7:25:51 PM Woodog wrote:

The seller is a psychology professor at WKU who is relocating to Utah (those folks in Utah need psychological help, I think).

The seller might need a dose of his own medecine if he sold em at $900. Then again, I got a prety good deal out of a moving sale not too long ago. People would rather cut their loses and move on, which makes for some nice deals if you're in the right place at the right time.

----------------

On 12/10/2004 10:37:46 PM D0N wrote:

what year would you guess the tannoys are? I can look them up in the stereo guides and probably figure out what model they are by the dimensions... if those dimensions you mentioned are correct.

----------------

Thanks Don!

Okay... I bought the Tannoys. They sounded good enough for the brief listen the the $200/ea asking price. (and the Khorns were already agreed on just had to whip out the $$ to make it official .... a given 3.gif )

So I've got a truck lined up for tomorrow and another strong back to transport the Khorns, but the tannoys fit nicely in my little station wagon... and I was anxious to hook them up to my Scott 355/208 combo.. nicely tricked out by NosValves.

I just finished listening to Rachmaninov's choral rendition of the Lord's Prayer and Mozart's 21'st piano concerto courtesy of NPR... and oh my goodness these speakers are Smooooooooooooooooth. I've never heard anything quite like them.

I opened up one box ever so gently... here's what's inside.

one speaker... Tannoy Monitor Gold Dual Concentric Lousdpeaker type LSU/HF/15/8, and the box dimensions are 19.5" wide x 21" deep x 26" high. The box sits on a 3" riser so the whole speaker is 29" high. Both speakers have severely faded labels on the bottoms which are unreadable. On the backs of the box are two switches under the heading 'treble', one labeled Roll-off on the left (four positions), the other labeled 'energy' (five positions). The cabinets are veneer over particle board, but the veneer is the most beautiful walnut. I'll have to borrow a digital camera and post some pics.

I hate to say it, but these outdo the cornwalls and not by any small amount. Oh, the cornwalls are really nice... but these speakers just *vanish* and you're sitting in the orchestra.

We (the previous owner and I) had just finished loading them into my car when another couple who had expressed interest in them were showing up. I told my new best friend I would see him tomorrow when I came to get the Klipshorns and that perhaps I should just go now (as he was asking his wwife to explain to the newcomers how the speakers weren't available anymore.

I think today was my day. It's been a while.

10.gif

Forrest

----------------

On 12/10/2004 7:25:22 PM Allan Songer wrote:

If they are "Monitor Gold" 15" in factory cabinets figure they're worth about $2000-$2500. If you don't buy them I will!

I have a set of 12" Monitor Golds. Best rock and roll/electric blues speakers I have ever owned. And that includes lots of Klipsch.

----------------

Damn Allan,

I just read this.. guess that these are what I got.

whew! 9.gif

Listening to sitar music now... incredible sound. I might just keep these.

----------------

On 12/10/2004 11:58:45 PM garymd wrote:

Congrats Forrest! I'm very happy to hear of your good fortune and I'm glad you like the Tannoys too. Do you have corners for the khorns?

What, not going to buy the piano?????
9.gif

----------------

Definitely have corners for the Khorns. The piano was nice... a kawai upright. They were asking $900 for it. The felts showed absolutely no wear so it hadn't been played that much. But... nah.

Now, if it had been a Kawai grand, >= 6'3" feet for under $2000, the khorns and tannoys would still be available for sale and I would be scrambling to hire piano movers. 2.gif

forrest

One of the best deals I've ever found was in a local pennysaver for a 1929 Knabe baby grand. We really didn't know what we were doing but bought it anyway for $2000 about 10 years ago (seemed like a good deal). Knabe was a local Baltimore company way back when. They sold out to Baldwin I believe in 1930 and we got one of the last originals. Still has original painted soundboard and is in beautiful condition. Our piano tuner says it's worth around $6-$7K.

With the internet and ebay, it's getting harder and harder to find deals like these.

The Tannoys might well be "better" speakers than Cornwalls--they certainly do MANY things better in my experience. The ONE thing Cornwalls do better than ANY speaker I have ever owned is realistically reproduce small combo acoustic jazz and since that is what I listen to 95% of the time the Cornwall is the right speaker for ME.

The Tannoys are probably worth MORE than the Klipschorns--you might get close to $3000 for them on a good day.

What a day!! Congratulations!!

----------------

On 12/11/2004 12:57:53 AM Allan Songer wrote:

The Tannoys might well be "better" speakers than Cornwalls--they certainly do MANY things better in my experience. The ONE thing Cornwalls do better than ANY speaker I have ever owned is realistically reproduce small combo acoustic jazz and since that is what I listen to 95% of the time the Cornwall is the right speaker for ME.

The Tannoys are probably worth MORE than the Klipschorns--you might get close to $3000 for them on a good day.

What a day!! Congratulations!!
----------------

Actually, their value of the "Golds" is closer to $1500. Collectors are willing to pay for the "Red" "Silver" and "Black" 2-4 times more.