URGENT!!! Tannoy Speakers?

Woodog

Guy's probably right. The drivers and crossovers alone are worth between $1500 and $2000. The cabinets might be worth only another $100 per box or so UNLESS they are corner cabinets--then you'd get the $3000.

They're GREAT speakers and in the right cabinets you might even prefer them to the mighty Khorn--MANY people do!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/11/2004 1:07:17 AM Guy Landau wrote:

----------------

On 12/11/2004 12:57:53 AM Allan Songer wrote:

The Tannoys might well be "better" speakers than Cornwalls--they certainly do MANY things better in my experience. The ONE thing Cornwalls do better than ANY speaker I have ever owned is realistically reproduce small combo acoustic jazz and since that is what I listen to 95% of the time the Cornwall is the right speaker for ME.

The Tannoys are probably worth MORE than the Klipschorns--you might get close to $3000 for them on a good day.

What a day!! Congratulations!!
----------------

Actually, their value of the "Golds" is closer to $1500. Collectors are willing to pay for the "Red" "Silver" and "Black" 2-4 times more.

----------------

Guy, whats the difference, sonically? Have you heard them all?

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/11/2004 1:07:17 AM Guy Landau wrote:

----------------

On 12/11/2004 12:57:53 AM Allan Songer wrote:

The Tannoys might well be "better" speakers than Cornwalls--they certainly do MANY things better in my experience. The ONE thing Cornwalls do better than ANY speaker I have ever owned is realistically reproduce small combo acoustic jazz and since that is what I listen to 95% of the time the Cornwall is the right speaker for ME.

The Tannoys are probably worth MORE than the Klipschorns--you might get close to $3000 for them on a good day.

What a day!! Congratulations!!
----------------

Actually, their value of the "Golds" is closer to $1500. Collectors are willing to pay for the "Red" "Silver" and "Black" 2-4 times more.

----------------

----------------

On 12/11/2004 1:45:08 AM Guy Landau wrote:

BTW,

Do they look like these?

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/04-20953-39585.jpg" border=0>

----------------

No, they are a narrower in the width (just guessing without a reference in the pic) and deeper. No decorative strips of wood in the front, and no Tannoy emblems on the case.

Speaking of the case, other than the beautiful veneer, I didn't think it was of the highest quality. But they do sound sweet.

I'll post pics, but it's going to be awhile. I don't have a camera and this time of year the college bookstore business owns my butt.

6.gif

peace,

Forrest

what year do you think they are? I looked in the 70 and the 66 hi/fi directories but none of the tannoy cabinets had those dimensions.

Even if you didn't buy the tannoys you got one helluva deal. The tannoys just make it that much better. Good for you! 3.gif

----------------

On 12/11/2004 2:16:54 AM smilin wrote:

----------------

Steve,

I've only heard the "Reds" and the "Golds".

The Reds are more efficient and are 16 ohm. They sound best with SET amps and are very sweet.

The Golds need higher power PP amps to sound their best.

I've always preffered the 12" to the 15". Although the 12" don't go as low in the bass, they sound more neutral and even. They are also livelier. The 15" sound warm and full but there seem to have a hole in the midrange. Their extention is great but they sound too round and the mid isn't that pronounced to my ears.

Wooddog, Absolutely fabulous! there is a great christmas story! congratulations on the klipschorns (please give us details as to crossover type, serial numbers, etc. so we can really be jealous.

re: the tannoys, those a great "full range" vintage speakers. if the cabs are not too nice you can always build some (karlson, etc.) and have a great pair of vintage speakers. you could also, decide to share your good fortune with your klipsch b-board mates and sell the tannoy drivers/crossovers at a nice profit...btw these speakers run a wide range of prices on ebay...there is a highend 15" one for sale now, asking more than $2k

1104008853494_Mvc_217s.jpg

and this 12" gold for $750

20_1_b.JPG

which is more like yours?

keep us informed, tony

I was on the hunt for some reasonable Tannoy 12"s for a pair of Karlsons I picked up over the summer. I concluded that there really was no such animal as a reasonable Tannoy. Too much for a spare speaker for me.

I just picked these up the other night to try out: much cheaper, obviously.

86_1.JPGae_1_b.JPG

My pal Kurt Chang has two pairs of these newer Tannoy 15s that use ceramic magnets and the newer "tulip" phase plug. These are technically superior to the old Alnico Tannoys because the compression driver has it's own magnet and the phase plug passes more highs; the old Tannoys used a common magnet for the woofer and compression driver, like a Stephens coax did (note that the superior Altec 604s and 605s had 2 magnets per driver)and the "pepper shaker" phase plug was probably done that way just to be different from the WE & RCA type concentric and radial plugs (I'm guessing).

Anyway these newer Tannoy drivers see to be cheaper in the used market than the old ones and sound very good. Not that the Alnico Nazis and those that worship at The Cult of the Archaic much care.

post-6913-13819259841238_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/11/2004 11:36:35 PM TBrennan wrote:

My pal Kurt Chang has two pairs of these newer Tannoy 15s that use ceramic magnets and the newer "tulip" phase plug. These are technically superior to the old Alnico Tannoys because the compression driver has it's own magnet and the phase plug passes more highs; the old Tannoys used a common magnet for the woofer and compression driver, like a Stephens coax did (note that the superior Altec 604s and 605s had 2 magnets per driver)and the "pepper shaker" phase plug was probably done that way just to be different from the WE & RCA type concentric and radial plugs (I'm guessing).

Anyway these newer Tannoy drivers see to be cheaper in the used market than the old ones and sound very good. Not that the Alnico Nazis and those that worship at The Cult of the Archaic much care.

----------------

Tommy, your just too funny...I love your comments2.gif3.gif and your openmindedness16.gif happy holidays12.gif lets get together soon12.gif

Ben,

I have a 8 ohm 12" vintage Utah/Realistic "Americana" that has the same curvalinear(sp?) cone, surround type, midrange wizzer, and cone tweeter.

Mine have a chrome trim ring around the tweeter, and the screen cover is painted black.

But the magnet is round with 4 spokes, unlike those Utah (Celesta's?) Those baskets on those thing are beyond bizarre looking.

This particular "Americana" did rather nice in a 3 or 4 foot cabinet ported in the 30 Hz range with a 300B amp.

I should find a mate, I forgot all about it.

Mike

They're Celestas. Nice call. They're bizarre looking, and to be frank, that did influence my purchase, but a quick lil search revealed some positive comments relative to Karlson-15 use. They're just for the bedroom. They probably won't see above 80 dB too much (unfortunately 11.gif ) We'll see how they go over. Really cheap buy, so I can't get hurt too bad. I've had these beautiful mahogony cabs sitting since June. The snow started flying pretty good tonight, so I guess it's none too soon to get them out of the garage. It's where the truck goes.

I should take some pics for sure when I get them all worked up. It'd be really nice to open up the cutouts to 15" and put some real drivers in, but I'll make do for now. A half octave of bass isn't going to worry me upstairs @ 1AM. (at my age)

Some of those cheap vintage speakers can suprise you, it's always fun to play with them.

Get them Karlsons inside, they are strange beasts, too.

The ol' vintage Tannoy Blacks from what I understand are the rarest of the rare.

Check out what this one went for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5737058562&ssPageNam