Khorns in da house!

Woodog

Got my khorns today, it was a 2 hour effort with a borrowed pickup and a friend with a strong back. It helped that the friend was a fellow audio enthusiast who didn't think I was insane for getting speakers this large. (not to mention 2 sets when I had set out for just one!)

I had to clean stuff out of the corners and move stuff around and unhook stuff and rearrange stuff and throw stuff away, but I finally got them into the corners. They fit well.

the seller had said they were maple... turns out they are model K-C-BR (birch wood, and in need of some TLC ... haven't been properly cared for and could use some kind of treatment, oiling or just liquid gold or *something*), serial numbers 8p440 & 8p441, which means I have have a pair of Cornwalls, Heresys, and now Klipschorns from 1976. They have the type AA crossovers.

Hooked em up to my Scott 355/208 comboand started listening to random cuts I like ... sweet sound! I had followed the thread about khorns lacking the bass of the Cornwall, so I put the cornwalls (my 1985 models) in front of the khorns and switched them out back and forth to listen to the difference. The khorns had a much larger sound and a tighter, fuller, larger bass. Switched back to the Cornwall... nice sound, less spacious but still superb... then switched to the Tannoys to take in the soundstage magic they deliver (it really is uncanny), then back to the Khorns.

Right now I'm listening to Rascal Flatts "Feels Like Today" (early xmas gift from my sis-in-law, one of the art directors for their videos)... low volume but the sound is right *there*.

So in the space of two days I've gone from never seeing or hearing them 'in person' to having them in my house where I can listen to them whenever I please. tee hee! Wheeee! Pinch me Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!

Anyway, that's the report from Bowling Green, KY. I'm "tickled to death" as we say in the south.

later,

Forrest (tired but very satisfied)16.gif

Congratulations, Woodog. Santa HAS been kind to you. You owe him big time. It's not until you get the big old fellers in your own room that you can really appreciate what the Klipschorns can do. What a marvellous design. Other speakers can do some of the things Klipschorns can, in some cases, they can do certain things better. But no other speaker can do so many things so well in one package. When you get a chance, some pics would be good! 4.gif

Wow, Forrest, you must be excited! As tired as you must be, stayin' up late and all!2.gif That is very very cool! Can you post pictures? I wish I was back in Kentucky to help yo with the refurb (sounds like fun), but not the moving...

Hey, with all those speakers from 1976, you now have a Bicentennial Sextet. Sounds kinda kinky...

ENJOY!

Woodog. Congratulations! It is a lot of fun to finally own your own set of Khorns. I'm glad to hear your impression of the bass response of the Khorn vs. the Cornwall. It is a much "larger" sound. Hard to describe, you just have to listen to it.

Enjoy your listening sessions.

congrats woodog! I have birch raw klipshorns as well, they tend to soak up anykind of oil and if you put too much the grain raises right up, so be light with the oil, they were meant to be raw so just clean them up as best you can and lightly oil to keep the wood from drying out too much and cracking...warm regards, tony

----------------

On 12/12/2004 12:54:39 PM paulparrot wrote:

Gary,

All Khorn deals must still seem too high for you, eh? I'm expecting someone someday will beat you, and get paid for hauling away a pair.

----------------

They'll have to kill me first!11.gif

Prices do seem a tad on the high side.2.gif

----------------

On 12/12/2004 2:11:35 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 12/12/2004 12:54:39 PM paulparrot wrote:

Gary,

All Khorn deals must still seem too high for you, eh? I'm expecting someone someday will beat you, and get paid for hauling away a pair.

----------------

They'll have to kill me first!
11.gif

----------------

Gary, when I said someone will beat you, I didn't mean someone will beat you up, I meant someone will get an even better deal. And I didn't mean he'd take your pair, I meant someone will someday not only get a pair for free but get paid for hauling them away--the only way to better your deal of FREE!

----------------

On 12/12/2004 1:01:31 PM fgarib wrote:

Woodog!! Good for you! Congrats. I'll echo others' request... Pics, please! of the Tannoys also, please!

-F

----------------

Gonna be a few weeks till I get pics, sorry.. but get them I will.

oooo oooo oooo... Gary... took my 85 cornwalls to the church to keep the 76's company (and get them out of my room, which was beginning to look like a speaker showroom). I put them where my Heresys were. I'm letting a friend borrow the Heresys. I have such a hard time parting with quality stuff even though I have no room for all of it where I live. If I had a partner I'm sure I would pay h3ll for aquiring all this stuff. 9.gif

So now I have 4 Cornwalls in a large room, spread far apart... man what a good sound! Jtscav1 will like this... I listened to Peter Hurford's disc, "Romantic Organ Music" and was blown away by the fullness of the sound. So I went back up to see what kind of difference taking the subwoofer offline would make. It was ALREADY off. Dang. That extra pair of Cornwalls in that room make quite a difference.

Hopefully no one in the congregation will become alarmed that the speakers are growing balls. lol!

later,

Forrest

Unitarians tend to be fairly open minded I've discovered over the years. I'm sure they won't mind the extra pair of speakers!2.gif

I'm a little suprised that a single guy wouldn't just find another room for them at home though. We with partners risk death and dismemberment to keep our extra speakers in the house, even if not in use!11.gif