Why isn't Rush in the R'nR Hall of Fame yet?

Jabez Scratch

----------------

On 12/14/2004 1:44:21 PM TBrennan wrote:

Whitestripes. Yikes. How precious and trendy. And five years from now nobody will give a damn. Christ, they don't even have a bassplayer.

----------------

5 years from now? Hell, he's already a no name.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geddy Lee is just too ugly...have you ever looked at him???2.gif

Actually, I love Rush and have seen then a couple of times. It is amazing to watch them play live. I have seen Geddy routinely play keyboards and sing while playing the bass pedals all at once. 2 instruments plus sing at the same time, while looking bored. Really extraordinary. Most bands can't play or write to that level. The ones that can take a few extra players to sound anywhere near what Rush can do with 3 guys.

The fact they aren't in the hall yet means nothing.16.gif

Tom---Oh, I ain't forgettin' Buddy, I was just thinking Rock and Roll drummers.

Back in, oh, 1969, I saw a bill at the Kinetic Playground in Chicago---The Who, Buddy Rich Orchestra and Joe Cocker and the Grease Band (his BEST band). It was a holiday (Memeorial Day?) and the crowd was small. The Who played until about 2AM and there were about 200-300 people there at the end.

I'm staying in Chicago. Moved into my wife's gorgeous condo on North Sheridan. This neighborhood has everything--used and new bookstores, used record stores, Jazz and Blues bars, coffee shops, every kind of restaurant known to Man. And I just jump on the 151 bus in front of the house and I'm Downtown in no time. And the El is just 2 blocks away. Lincoln Park and The Lake is 1 block away.

Come summer afternoons I'll jump on the El, ride to Addison and take in the Cubs. After the Cubs I'll jump back on the EL, ride down to 35th St. and see a Sox night game.2.gif

----------------

My top drummers

DJ Fontana

Ron Tutt

Ringo

Watts

Brian Downey (Thin Lizzy)

The guy from REO

Tommy Ramone (best minimalist, when I first saw them in 77 I stripped my kit down to 4 pieces from 7 and simplified my playing, an epthany as they say)

Peart

Al Jackson

Grimes, I forget his first name, Howard? Played on the Al Green stuff.

Don Stevenson (Moby Grape)

Bonham

The guy from Talking Heads

Anybody from Motown, back in the day they used 3 drummers as I recall.

Mitch Mitchell

Carmen Appice

----------------

Good list. Ron Tutt is a very underated drummer.

I like Ringo Starr, but his playing will never be confused w/ that of Billy Cobham or Bill Bruford.

Mitch Mitchell is a forgotten favourite.

Glad to see Carmen Appice in the list -- he's very good.

----------------

On 12/14/2004 2:07:05 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

I lost all faith with those to mags when one of them had White Stripes guitarest at something like 17 and Eddy Van Halen at 70 something...

There IS NO credibility in those two mags if you ask me. My bet is that it's a few snot nosed fresh out of college kids that wouldn't know their *** from a hole in the ground writing up those lists... Most likely never even heard of Eddy Van Halen....

----------------

I was a bit thrown by the relatively low placement of Eddy Van Halen. My guitarist friends who don't even like Van Halen's music much even say that he is undoubtedly top three. But you know that Rolling Stone magazine has to pander to the Britney Spears crowd.

----------------

Whitestripes. Yikes. How precious and trendy. And five years from now nobody will give a damn. Christ, they don't even have a bassplayer.

Peart is a good drummer but overplays (though unlike Moon he overplays with skill and precision). I always wanted to see Peart play on a 4-piece kit because when he does stick to the beat he's incredibly driving.

My top drummers

DJ Fontana

Ron Tutt

Ringo

Watts

Brian Downey (Thin Lizzy)

The guy from REO

Tommy Ramone (best minimalist, when I first saw them in 77 I stripped my kit down to 4 pieces from 7 and simplified my playing, an epthany as they say)

Peart

Al Jackson

Grimes, I forget his first name, Howard? Played on the Al Green stuff.

Don Stevenson (Moby Grape)

Bonham

The guy from Talking Heads

Anybody from Motown, back in the day they used 3 drummers as I recall.

Mitch Mitchell

Carmen Appice

----------------

Hey Tom, what about Phil Collins? At one time I heard that he was one of the best drummers around. We saw a Genesys concert and Philbaby did a 10 minute drum solo that was simply incredible.

David

"And some other magazine (name escapes me) put that female "drummer" from White Stripes ahead of Neil Peart, Phil Collins, and Carl Palmer in its list of the greatest rock drummers. I've been drumming for over twenty years, and I can tell you that that is a cruel joke."

Damn, you have got to be kidding. Sad, very sad. I love Rush, and Neil Pert has to be one of the all time best drummers. Check out the RUSH website... last time I was there they had some cool stuff up for Neil. Carmine Appice should also be high on the list. I actually met Carmine at a restuarant here in town years ago.... seems they were in town for a gig somewhere. I had him sign a napkin because it was the only thing I had at the time but who knows where it is now.

Forget all that White Stripes crap... you want to see an awesome rock drummer... check out Godsmack when they come to town next.... I was completely blown away at this guy. Shannon Larkin I believe his name is.... this guy was unfriggin believable! They toured with Metallica, and IMHO Godsmack could have been the headliner that night... they were that good! At one point in the show Sully, the lead singer played bongos forthe song "Voodoo" & then they went into a drumming competition with each having their own set on either sides of the stage. I was thinking that the Godsmack Drummer must have a rubber neck because he was all over that rig, hair flying all over, arms just a flaililng around... really impressive. Lots of flash, but lots of talent also!

I always get a chuckle everytime I see a Stones DVD or video, where Charlie Watts is just sittng back taking it easy, barely lifting the sticks... (Don't get me wrong, I do respect the guy.... just makes me laugh) Also... Peter Criss from KISS, although he had the cool factor working for him, he wasn't all that good.... Eric Singer is much better, as was Eric Carr.

Sorry I don't even remember the name of this thread... LOL just had to get my .02 in on the drumming issue.

----------------

On 12/14/2004 5:54:40 PM Bill H. wrote:

Rush? I didn't even know there was a band called that.........

I thought Rush was what you got when you ate Ice Cream too fast
9.gif

----------------

Ha,Rush is one of the few band names that really sums up the music.I always get a Rush when I crank up Rush.

Signals is also my favorite Rush alblum, a tour de force. And you got to love any alblum with a reference to Warren Cromartie. :) Rush actually has come back pretty strong too. Their last couple CDs are definately an improvement from the Power Windows era.

Genesis should also be in the RRHOF. 30+ year career, wrote some brilliantly eccentric songs, trememndous musicians, and one of the strongest live bands ever in terms of both performance and draw. At their height I think they sold Wembley Stadium out four nights in a row.

Basically Prog Rock gets hosed becuase "Chicks don't dig the Prog". Neither does Rolling Stone, who seems to value musical ability as a positive attribute just behind "nice hooters" and "looks good in Ambercrombie and Fitch jeans". That magazine is utter garbage.

----------------

On 12/15/2004 5:09:54 PM dgb wrote:

Signals is also my favorite Rush alblum, a tour de force. And you got to love any alblum with a reference to Warren Cromartie.
:)
Rush actually has come back pretty strong too. Their last couple CDs are definately an improvement from the Power Windows era.

----------------

I definitly agree. I was quite pleasantly surprised at thier "Vapor Trails" CD. I do have every CD that they have put out (and thier rare stuff that could not be found anywhere else - well, um-er, there was the, umm, yeah, um (cup hand over mouth)napster)

I also happened to enjoy Getty Lee's solo album, My Favorite Headache.

I've also just seen them this past summer at the Nisson Pavilion, and what an incredible show that was! 30 years, and still rockin strong!

Unfortunatly, they are way underated in the typical "mainstream" entertainment press, such as Rolling-Stones, and Entertainment Weekly. Than again, other similiar type bands, such as Fates Warning and Dream Theater are also way underated. Still, Rush is an incredible, talented band, in my opinion, regardless of what is said in that toilet paper rag Roling Stones Magazine.

HANDS IN THE AIR FOLKS!! THIS IS A HI-JACK!!9.gif

Can't believe no one has mention Stewart Copeland from The Police.

Another guy I've seen (and can't remember his name) played for a short time with the Average White Band. You can see him on the AWB Live in Concert DVD. That guy is a machine.

OK....as you were. 1.gif

Tom

----------------

On 12/16/2004 10:50:01 AM Tom Adams wrote:

HANDS IN THE AIR FOLKS!! THIS IS A HI-JACK!!
9.gif

Can't believe no one has mention Stewart Copeland from The Police.

Another guy I've seen (and can't remember his name) played for a short time with the Average White Band. You can see him on the AWB Live in Concert DVD. That guy is a machine.

OK....as you were.
1.gif

Tom----------------

I dig his playing. But from what I understand, his time sucks. I read somewhere (which must make it true!) that Tony Levin refused to play with him on So because he couldn't keep it together for four bars. They cut all his parts other than high hat on "Red Rain" Stewy makes quite a nice living now doing soundtracks, though probably not as much as ole Gordo makes from "Roxanne" alone.

As far as Rush goes, I dunno... It's called the Hall of Fame right? Not the Hall of Really Good Musicians. I, as a bassist, dig Geddy's parts on both the early and more recent stuff. He has a different approach, not so root-oriented. Lifeson is on par with Summers, as was pointed out earlier (I think they're both better than Keith Richards, the supposed gold standard of Rythym Guitar). Neil Peart I could so do without. Overplaying to the nth degree. The guy must be hung like a mouse to play like that!! I could just see him and Dave Weckl "experimenting" with each other in a tent at Boy Scout camp. Neil's resposible for a legion of crappy overplaying drummers that make me want to not see local bands, too.

IMO, YMMV, no offense and all that.

Now, give me the band Rush, but insert somebody like Jack Dejohnette or Roy Haynes on a rock kit, and lookout, son!!