Shorthorn 1959

seti

Nobody bats 1.000 and PWK disowned this design some years later, citing the lack of a controlling air volume (e.g. back chamber) as being the failing of the concept. In fact, in his ad copy about Major Breakthroughs he listed "Shorthorn by Klipsch-Yup We did It Too".

Before I was really aware of Klipsch's work, I built something very close to this as a kid. It impressed me with the clean, uncolored sound but it had no real bass and I didn't have the technical background to follow up. So I wandered off into "air suspension" la-la land for many years.

Short horns came a few way back then.

full trim

no trim

kit form

This looks like a kit from klipsch, as the kit did not have the id tag on the back.

But *** does have the Trusonic 15 a very nice driver.

I alway thought it was the "reel " not the short horn that Paul klipsch did'nt like.

The Rebel was only made for a few years and the short horn was around for a long time and in fact kinda turned in to the cornwall. The first cornwall used the same drive set up front grill and baffle was the same size ect.

Even in kit form, I would think the assembly would be the same. In the Ebay photo, it does not appear that the front grill is screwed on from behind the motorboard. The seller also quoted a custom top, but it appears to be correct rather than a "mod".

The other drivers should be University SAHF mid as stated, coupled to a K-1000 horn. The tweeter should be the K-77.

For those who appreciate the SAHF mid-driver from University, one sold early this morning for $9.98 on Ebay. It was mis-labeled as a "5AHF".

I'm inclined to think this one was built from plans. It looks like a pretty nice job, too, with the proper drivers. The "Klipsch-Kits" I've seen are marked on the back and have the screen over the slot. but then, again, if someone is building one some forty odd years ago, who knows?