Good Reciever for RF-35's

divin11112000

I was wondering about suggestions for a good reciever for RF-35's, RC-35, (soon to have rsw 12 and rs-35's). I am currently using a pioneer vsx-d811s. I'm not sure if this reciever has enough to push the speakers. I don't want to starve them of power. Does anyone have any suggestions as to recievers I should look into or if my current one will be good enough for these speakers. Typically it's about 50/50 for music/ht. Room is about 15-20 opened about 16' of one of the 20' walls. Eventually going to a bigger room in a bigger house, but aren't we all??

Don't change the receiver at all. Get a 5-channel dedicated amplifier and hook it up to the pre-outs on your receiver. I used to have this receiver, and its preamp section is very good, as well as its DACs. Considering that it has plenty of HT features, I think your money is much better spent on a good multichannel amplifier (I am speaking from personal experience). Unless you're confortable with shopping for used gear, Outlaw provides the best price/performance ratio.

For $900, you can get the 7100 - their 100x7 amplifier (which is great for the price). However, for a little over $1100, you can get 5 of their M-200 monobloc amplifiers - a decent stack which will ensure that your speakers are NEVER starved for power, even if you upgrade. It's only $250 or so more, but is likely a huge upgrade.

If you're short on funds, you can get 3 of the M-200 monoblocs for $850 and use the receiver to power the surrounds while you accumulate the funds for the other two amps.

P.S. If you have money and don't mind used gear, this Audiogon listing could interest you. It's an Aragon THX Ultra2 200x5 channel power amp monster, for $1350

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1108169863

----------------

On 12/20/2004 5:02:51 PM chinoloco wrote:

If you want to go the route of AVR, my two cents are for the Pioneer Elite 56TXi. Decent priced, great build and solid all the way around. Otherwise, visit the amp method as mentioned.

----------------

I second this. Pioneer Elite is a terrific receiver when mated with the RF-35's.

Chinoloco, where the hell you been? You've been gone for over a year!!! Welcome back!

I'm going through the same choice and have settled on either the Onkyo TX-SR702 or the Harman Kardon AVR-430/435. Either sounds great with the Klipsch RF-35s. The Onkyo may have a few more home theater features. But you can't go wrong with either.

I also listened to the Elite VSX-56TXi and didn't feel it was as clean as the Onkyo or HK receivers. When compared side by side (A/B), brushes on cymbals and instruments in general weren't as clear.

I think that I'm going to look into getting an amp as opposed to upgrading the whole system. I was kinda looking at marantz 5500 for a reciever, but if the concensus is that I should go to seperates then i'll start looking into them. Unfortunately I know even less about amps and I'd much rather go to a store as opposed to online places (so i have a face that i can talk to if i have any problems). Any suggestions 4 amps other than outlaw (don't like that its' an online store have had probs with computer stuff before). I started looking at aragon, but price on aragon is outta my $ range.

----------------

On 12/21/2004 12:51:03 PM divin11112000 wrote:

Any suggestions 4 amps other than outlaw (don't like that its' an online store have had probs with computer stuff before).

----------------

My friends and I have dealt with Outlaw on several occasions and they have excellent customer service. They're a fairly small company and they treasure their customer base, so I wouldn't worry about them being an online store. Since it's their own brand that they sell, I don't think they're in a hurry to make enemies among their customers. Just look at reviews of their equipment on audioreview - even people who didn't like their equipment (and there are VERY few of them) have nothing bad to say about the customer service.

Other than outlaw, you can look at NAD, Rotel, and B&K (I must be missing some too). However, be prepared to drop a decent chunk of change on their products unless you're buying them used.

P.S. If you don't want to have problems with buying computer stuff online, use Newegg.com -> they have nearly the best prices and definitely the best customer service out of any online computer parts/electronics store.

I hate to be disagreeable but the whole thing is backward.You first need a decent pre/pro/avr then a good amp.To hook a $1k amp to a $200 avr is just well....its not logical to say the least.

Get a good pre/pro/avr, Denon 3802/03/05,HK 430,630 or a Marantz etc.. in your budget then add an amp later if need be.At least this way you will be gettin'quality audio to amp up,all IMO.

time out, from what I read your using a A\V Receiver as your PRE-AMP only, a quality one is an ALL IN 1, built with amplification, pre-amp programming capabilities, etc, etc...you want seperates, your talkin seperates...10.gif

I run my Marantz Reference SR18EX stand alone...I'm happy, should see my MA700 mono block amps kick in...10.gif

----------------

On 12/21/2004 1:11:00 AM nicholtl wrote:

I second this. Pioneer Elite is a terrific receiver when mated with the RF-35's.

Chinoloco, where the hell you been? You've been gone for over a year!!! Welcome back!

----------------

Its been a hell of a year. Separated from the wife, back with the wife, changed careers, moved three times. Hell I bought a new sound system about a year ago and I didn't even hook it back up until I just returned to the BB.

Chinoloco

I would check out the Marantz SR5500,7500, & 8500. Nice receivers. If you go seperates your budget will be increasing alot. You could use a receiver as your processor but if your going that route you may as well just use the receiver and save the money. You will need to purchase more cables so dont forget about that when you add seperates. Most of the processors for seperates are high priced. Amps are not cheap either. You can find a good used one on ebay or audiogon.

Depending on your budget its up to you. To go the seperate route you will spend alot more. I dont think you will be missing anything by just going the receiver route with your system. I found a Marantz mm9000 amp to run my RF35's. Its a nice find on ebay for $500.