good cd player

chris kaye

No more than 400.00...but I'm not apposed to spending more if the sound is there. It's true that RF35's have a very analytical sound, similar to studio monitors and I want a CD player that will preserve that quality. I understand that most of this is subjective, but there must be some concrete criteria that define the class of a product.

...thanks for the link!

Over in two-channel, Jerry Rappaport commented very favorably on a Cambridge Audio 640C that he recently picked up to compliment his Chorus IIs, and Jt1stcav runs one with great success. That is right around your budget - or just a few dollars more (find them in the $400s).

I personally believe that the three major players as far as tubed CD players (tubes in the output stage) make a drastic improvement in your overall sound when running horns (Ah!, Jolida, or Heart), but all of these players, new, are out of your price range. If lucky, you may be able to find a used Ah! or Jolida unit that is pretty close to your price range. That would be a find, however.

Carl.

----------------

On 12/27/2004 11:00:43 AM chris kaye wrote:

I'm running a Panasonic DVD A320 right now, but I also own a Sony DVP-NS715P and a Samsung DVD-HD931...bought the Samsung for the 1080i output a few years ago. What makes one cd player better than another, other than the ability to read CD-R or CD-RW, MP3...etc?

----------------

Yes, as Parrot says - sound. Are you running your Panasonic DVD player via digital outputs or its analog outputs? What are your future plans with respect to the CD player?

One of the major differences among CD players is in the overall sound coming from the analog outputs - which is often influenced by the quality of the digital to analog converter or (DAC) in the player. If you are using a digital output, then you are just using the DVD player as a transport to send a digital signal to your receiver (or processor), which in turn encodes it through its DAC.

One thing people strive for in a better CD player is to have their CDs sound more vinyl-like or less digital - through the analog outputs. You can buy a different CD player to accomplish this or add an external DAC to your existing player.

So....with respect to your three sources, if you are running digital outs now, try running music through the analog outputs of the various players. If you are not happy with that sound, a reasonably-priced external DAC may be another option to add to your DVD player to improve your sound.

Do some searches on this forum and others about DACs if this is somewhat unclear.

Carl.

In an attempt to keep my signal path as clean as possible I am running the CD analog out directly into my "integrated" tube power amp. I got to say it sounds great, but w/o question my CD player is the weakest link. I would like to keep this set up as "tube" sounding as possible and would maybe like to add a CD player with a tube output section. With this in mind, would it be safe to say going with a tube CD player will enhance that warm life like feel the tubes are producing...if so then it's worth it to save a few pennies and go all tube. Thanks to everyone for their time & knowledge

If you're not in a hurry, you could probably pick up a Heart 6000CD or an AH! Njoe Tjoebs 4000CD (w/o upsampler) in the neighborhood of $500. I've heard both and they are very nice. Currently use the AH! with upsampler.

The best deal I've seen on a new tubed CD is at Decware.com. I haven't heard it, but would expect it to be very smooth. Plays SACD and DVD, too.

----------------

On 12/31/2004 8:25:12 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

..."The best deal I've seen on a new tubed CD is at Decware.com. I haven't heard it, but would expect it to be very smooth..."

----------------

I had no idea that Decware modded an inexpensive $250 Sony SACD changer with an added 12AU7 output stage and its own RCA jacks and power supply (with all the original line outputs still in place). What a wonderful concept for about $420 more. Gee, I wonder if they'll add a tube output stage to any CD/SACD/DVD-Audio player, or you have to just order their modded Sony?

I'd sure like to see a NOS 12AU7 hangin' off the rearend (or even on top) of my Cambridge Audio azur 640C 24/192 CD player...Wouldn't that be the nutz? Wonder if they'd consider that (or if the 640C's circuitry would accept it)?4.gif