Well, you educated me - I ordered RF-7s today

BillH2121

After receiveing a primer on the supremecy of the Klipsch design ny members of this Board and giving a listen at two audio stores, I ordered a pair of RF-7s today. As I stated in a previous thread, I will keep the McIntosh 2105 and C-26 to power the RF-7s. A friend of mind from college works at Ultimate Electronics and offered the pair at $1500 which I accepted since they were selling the store at the time for $1800. The only bad thing is that I have to wait 3-7 days for the speakers to arrive ftom Colorado. I am anxious to hear the 7s and Mac combo.

Also, in my previous thread, there were some disparaging remarks regarding my Mac XR-5s, which will be replaced by the 7s. I set up the XR-5s in my living room today and gave them a listen. I honestly didn't think they sounded all that bad (nostalgia perhaps)- do you really think they are that horrendous?? Oh well, in a few days, they will be only a memory. I'll report back when the 7s are in place. I know many of you will argue that I should have gone the heritage route - too much of a hard sell to my wife looks-wise and cost-wise. The 7s are for 2-channel use only and I think they eill be a good fit.

You've got this Heritage owner's blessing!12.gif

Good luck with your new RF-7s and your SS Mac gear. I'd love to hear RF-7s being driven by McIntosh...had I not gone the SET route, I'd still have my vintage MC250 power amp and preferably a C36 preamp (my favorite SS amp/preamp). Who knows; maybe someday I may just own 'em yet!

I'm interested in your feedback once you hook em up. I at one time considered the 7s. In fact you can read my thread "la scala vs rf-7". there are some interesting points there. I too have Mac equip. I have a pair of scalas. My wife hates the look. However, she agreed to let me upgrade my crossovers. Al K is makin them now.

I am waiting to see/hear the klipsch premiers. This are supposed to retail for 5 grand. They were originally due spring 05 but now I hear it is delayed til summer 05.

I love the "stage" of my scalas. A little harsh at time but wide open sound. The low end is a little lacking. i hope the crosswover will refine this a little.

Let us know what u think

jc

The RF-7s are an amazing speaker. The good amplification that you have will make them sing. The other thing you need to get the most out of them is an upgraded crossover. If you ever get a chance to listen to the 7s with DeanG's crossover, you will be surprised.

Congrats on the 7s! Which finish did you get?

Bill

I got the black finish to match the Klipsch HT set up I recently bought (Denon AVR 1705/RF15, RC25, RF/RS 25, RW 10). I didn't really know anything about Klipsch when I bought the HT set-up and I bought it really to appease the wife and kid who wanted some kind of HT. At the time, I didn't know the speakers came in different finishes and I thought the black would match my TV. If I could do it over again, I would get the cherry finish - not that it really looks like any cherry I've ever seen, but I think it looks nice. Anyway, the HT and 2-channel rigs will be be "melded" in my living room, so I felt I needed to get black to match.

I was truly amazed by the purity/transparency of the RF-7 sound. I originally worried that it would lack in bottom end, but was pleased to hear the tight, competent bass. I listen to mainly classic rock on vinyl and cd, jazz and classical on vinyl. I think the 7s will give a true sound that will compliment this listening. Klipsch has really opened a new world of listening to me. Also, I appreciate the input of the knowledgeable members of this Board - it really is a great Board!

Congrats on your RF-7's!! They are truly an amazing speaker, they should sound wonderful with your Macintosh gear. Definatly talk with Dean G about getting the crossovers upgraded, as is they sound good but with the upgraded components in the crossover section, the speakers really come to life, the mirange and highs become more natural and smooth!9.gif

Congrats on your purchase. Regardless of the other Klipsch speakers that go in and out of my house, my RF-7s will always stay. Very revealing, accurate speakers - they often do not get their just due.

Also agree with the comments about Dean's x-over mods. At some point, well worth it if you choose to do it. Tbe mods turn a great speaker into an incredible one.

Carl.

I haven't even received the speakers yet and I'm already intrigued by Dean's modified crossover you all are raving about. What's involved in the modification and how much money am I looking at. I think I'm pushing the boundary with the wife as it is with the new purchase and moving all the equipment in the living room. Maybe if its too costly, I could consider that in a few months.

----------------

On 12/27/2004 4:35:11 PM Klipsch RF7 wrote:

----------------

On 12/27/2004 2:30:04 PM DeanG wrote:

Now Erfan, what do you think?
9.gif

Bill, I sent you a PM/email.

----------------

I think it will sound just fabuuulous darling, simply fabuulous
9.gif
Alright ive got the RC-7 crossover boxed and ready to ship to you
10.gif

----------------

Good move in sending Dean your RC-7 crossover. Unfortunately for Dean, its a bear to do. 1.gif He does a really nice job with separating the boards - and including a unique (and fantastic) mounting solution.

Fortunately for you, all of the improvements you hear with your RF-7s, musically, you will also hear with your RC-7. Additionally, with respect to movies, vocal clarity greatly improves.

In fact, since I am completing my Heritage system downstairs in "my area," I am looking forward to moving the modded RC-7 into our family room - the primary movie-viewing room in our house.

Klipsch, Klipsch everywhere in my house. Heck, I just might even add those new 2.0 Ultras to my Ipod. That would make Amy happy.

Ain't life grand?

Carl.

----------------

On 12/27/2004 1:56:00 PM BillH2121 wrote:

I haven't even received the speakers yet and I'm already intrigued by Dean's modified crossover you all are raving about. What's involved in the modification and how much money am I looking at. I think I'm pushing the boundary with the wife as it is with the new purchase and moving all the equipment in the living room. Maybe if its too costly, I could consider that in a few months.

----------------

The nice thing about crossover mods, with respect to the Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF), is that there is no new equipment for the wife to freak out on- ummmm..... "make comments about." You are simply upgrading the internals of your speakers.

Now getting the money away from her is another matter entirely.

Carl.

----------------

On 12/27/2004 1:56:00 PM BillH2121 wrote:

----------------

The nice thing about crossover mods, with respect to the Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF), is that there is no new equipment for the wife to freak out on- ummmm..... "make comments about." You are simply upgrading the internals of your speakers.

Now getting the money away from her is another matter entirely.

Carl.

Carl - I started on the "WAF" at dinner tonight when I mentioned to my wife that "in a month or two" I planned to have the crossovers modified in the new speakers. Neither the procedure nor the cost raised much interest out of her other than a slight change of subject to "do you think we should have gotten the cherry finish on the new speakers?" She didn't even flinch much when I suggested that over the next year or so we should slowly replace the existing HT speakers with the upgraded line compatible with the RF-7s. Well, maybe there was a slight flinch when I mentioned the cost of a new subwoofer. Oh well, one thing at a time - I'm anxious to get the 7s here and hooked up.

Bill,

Youll need to do yourself a favor and get the RSW-15, i have one and it is awesome!! Really compliments the 7's well, mesh together flawlessly. For movies and music it makes a gigantic diffrence!!!

Thanks for the info Carl, I have no doubt that it will open up the RC-7's big time. I love watching concert DVD's and Movies and the center plays a big factor, it should clean it up nicely!

Bill:

Sounds like you are well on your way, with respect to the "WAF." Since later in '05 you plan on adding other speakers to complete what the RF-7s started, I'll put in my two cents now. The RC-7 as a center is a no-brainer. Excellent center, and the logical match for the RF-7s.

The big question usually comes down to surrounds. I started with wide dispersion surrounds (RS-35s, RS-7s), and I eventually went the direct-radiating route with RB-75s. In my opinion, if you have the budget and can place them on stands, RB-75s are the way to go for surrounds. You do not lose much on movies and gain much more for music (i.e. SACD and DVD-Audio). I loved my RB-75s and still miss them (I recently traded them and some other equipment for some lovely tube amps and other Heritage speakers). In my opinion, RB-75s make the best surrounds for the Reference series.

RF-7: Glad to help.1.gif You know what great work Dean does and you will love the modded RC-7.

Carl.