4 most musical subs?

Coytee

I ask for four instead of one, to help prevent any wars 3.gif

That said, what are some suggestions for subs (mated with K-horns) in a room about 16'x25' that will not only keep up with the K-horns, but will do it with authority and go lowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww?

Should I look into one of those infinate baffle ideas since I might be able to hide the "business end" in the garage?

Price is secondary to matching to the K-horns. HT will either NOT be an issue, or if it is, it will be secondary to the music

Doesn't Servo-Control introduce compression? I kind of like the sound of the driver bottoming out.

Just my opinion here, but I think sealed units would better match the signature of the horn loaded bass. So, you're on the right track -- four subs should do it.9.gif

I never heard a sub I liked until a friend let me borrow his "floor sample." I ended up buying it for a bit less than dealer cost and find that it really helps with deep, thumping bass--but never gets in the way. It's small and expensive, but great.

The LINN Sizmik 10.25 sub:

linn_sizmik.gif

sizmik.jpg

These pictures are sourced from the web, but I actually DO have one in my system!

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.models/label/Model%20ASW%20650

This is a link to a B&W sealed woofer. It is a newer model than he one I auditioned a while back.

I bought a similar design from Adire Audio with a 12 inch sealed.

I thought the sealed was a "faster" bass response; not super low for HT wall shaking.

At the time I was auditioning the Klipsch reference subwoofers were not availiable.

I was very impressed with the cutaway view of the construction I saw in the Klipsch lab in June 2004.

My demos did conclude if the cabinet is not sound it does not matter how good the driver is.

----------------

On 12/29/2004 9:21:00 AM Coytee wrote:

I ask for four instead of one, to help prevent any wars
3.gif

That said, what are some suggestions for subs (mated with K-horns) in a room about 16'x25' that will not only keep up with the K-horns, but will do it with authority and go lowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww?

Should I look into one of those infinate baffle ideas since I might be able to hide the "business end" in the garage?

Price is secondary to matching to the K-horns. HT will either NOT be an issue, or if it is, it will be secondary to the music

----------------

IB is probably one of the easiest ways to get loud and low bass provided you have the room. If you have the capability of venting into your garage, then I would be all means give it a try. I know formica is in the process of building an IB setup so perhaps he'll chime in and share some ideas.

What price range are you looking at? You will probably also get more advice down in the powered subwoofer section of the forum. I know a pair of the new THX subs are supposed to be fricken amazing. Indyklipschfan uses a pair with his cornwalls and never stops praising them...I'm sure he'll chime in mentioning them eventually 2.gif