Type A prototypes/ informal poll

Deang

Everyone completely sick of crossover threads yet? Hey, you're not alone, I'm about sick of them too!! :)

Need your opinions on this one. I ran across these terminal strips a while back, and even though they only come with four connection points, I couldn't resist the temptation to use them. There is only ONE downside, and that is that they use #8 screws instead of the #6 screws in the standard strips we are all familiar with. Even still, the stock spades can easily be slid into the gap, and once tightened down, creates a very good connection -- they just don't go around the screw. However, there are several upsides with these things.

They are beefy as hell. The connectors are thick and strong.

The connectors are a single piece, offering two soldering points, and held down to the plate with the standard single screw.

Users have the option of clipping off their spades, and soldering the driver leads directly to the terminal strips.

The connectors are thick enough, and strong enough -- that I was able to drill out the holes a little to accomodate binding posts.

Naturally, the connection scheme is a bit different now. Positves are on the right, negatives are on the left. The order is the same -- input, woofer, squawker, and tweeter.

What do you guys think? Anyone like this?

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=34499&

post-3205-13819260079386_thumb.jpg

Users have the option of clipping off their spades, and soldering the driver leads directly to the terminal strips.

The connectors are thick enough, and strong enough -- that I was able to drill out the holes a little to accomodate binding posts.

This is very cool I like.Very nice crossover.

I still have stock AA crossovers in my Belles and the Belles are last on my list of tweaks. Is there a difference in sound in A and AA crossovers? If so which do you prefer?

This one can be converted to allow the use of the #3 tap to lower the squawker's output by 3db.

I split, and peeled a little of the sheathing off of the primary cap so I could solder it to the post. After pulling the connector off a few times, I started worrying that someone might pull a bit hard, and put undue stress on cap lead. So, I created a bit of a buffer by soldering it to a terminal.

The question here would be -- does anyone care for this idea, or is everyone perfectly content with their squawkers just the way they are?

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=34501&

post-3205-13819260080636_thumb.jpg

Seti -- the only difference betteen the A and AA is that the Type A has 3db more output from the tweeter. The AA was brought into existance after the advent of high powered solid state. The AA has the extra 2uF cap in series with the tweeter to increase the crossover slope and so reduce energy to the driver. This was the first layer of protection. Zener diodes were also added to protect the driver from powerful transients and spikes.

Most tube users, and especially SET users -- prefer the Type A. Crites and me sell a lot of them.

----------------

On 12/30/2004 2:28:29 PM DeanG wrote:

Everyone completely sick of crossover threads yet? Hey, you're not alone, I'm about sick of them too!!
:)

----------------

Evidently not quite sick enough yet!9.gif

But seriously, it looks pretty versatile to me, so I say "AFFIRMATIVE" on the new connecting strip.

DM2.gif

Like garlic, eh?

To slightly derail this amiable thread even more, I'd like to comment on my CW crossovers made by someone on this very board. They sound quite nice. Good detail, tighter bass. I'll assume the caps open things up even more after a while.

BTW, I was slightly confused during installation. One unit had 4 terminals and one had 5. I guess that was a bonus.1.gif

Well then, that explains the lone 8 point barrier strip I found on my work bench. I use 8's and 10's, whatever is available at the time. So, you're telling me you ended up with an '8' one board, and a '10' on the other? Looks like I need to give up my 2 A.M. sessions. 9.gif

What do you think about the sound overall? Would you do it again?

80 views, and no one has an opinion, or wants to whine about their squawker output? Interesting.

Dean,

well, let's put it this way: when I got my ALKs I tried a few squawker settings (and was glad the design allowed me to do so), but eventually I settled on one setting - at least until I get curious and will change again - so I'd say choices are part of the fun 9.gif )

Wolfram

Dean: I was just going to mention something regarding a phrase mentioned above, but don't want to read it again...

This would be better: It would be very easy to setup a simple switching device between the output taps and capacitor options. Having the options is good, and the needed capacitor is already in place, so why not provide the means to audition the different setting while 'on-the-fly'? That way, one wouldn't need to try to remember what the previous tap sounded like, since an immediate and direct comparison would be available by swithing back and forth. I think it would be a good feature for this particular approach. I would rather use an L-pad for the same reason.

Use a make-before-break switch, possibly mounted on an aluminum L-bracket, and the difference between the two outputs would be as easy as flipping a switch.

Erik

LOL. These are Red Oak.

Fixed the binding posts. I spent some time over at Parts Express with one of the modded terminal strips, but couldn't find a binding post that worked better than the stock Reference posts. I did manage to get them oriented vertically by using an extra nut as a spacer to lift them slightly above the barriers.

I like the switch idea Erik.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=34534&

post-3205-13819260081048_thumb.jpg