Recieved the RF-7s this afternoon!!

BillH2121

After four day's wait, the RF-7s came in and I set them up this afternoon. Holy cr*p!!! I can't believe the sound - its much better in my living room than at either of the stores where I demoed the speakers. So far, I've given them pretty eclectic test material: Peter Gabriel; Enya; Chopin, Little Feat; Bach Toccata and Fugue (pipe organ, not orchestral); and Jim Hall's jazz masterpiece, Concierto.

First, I am surprised at the bass response - its profound and accurate. I recall a thread a few days ago where someone believed there was a need for subage with the 7s for two channel listening. I'm an old rock and roll musician (also jazz and classical) and I like solid thumping bass as much as anyone - the 7s provide plenty of bass that sounds musical, not just moving a lot of air. Maybe I'm just lucky with my intial speaker placement, but I can't imagine needing more bass.

Second, I'm awestruck at the pure, transparent sound throughout the range on speakers. I can't wait to rediscover the jazz, classical, and classic rock that I have on vinyl and haven't listened to in years (Coltrane and Miles on these speakers - I'm drooling!!).

Also, I'm pleased to have the old Mac 2105 and C-26 lit up again - I haven't listen to music at home much over the last several years, but that will change now. By the way, I changed my mind and got the cherry finish instead of the black. I'm pleased with the way that finish looks in my living room.

Congrats, Bill. Reading your post today made me really smile. Its how my RF-7s sounded early this morning before work when I gave them a good thrashing. Its the reason why even though I've begun to collect Heritage stuff, I have kept my RF-7s.

I think you will really like the McIntosh running the 7s. I have run mine with a variety of combinations (tube pre: ss amp; all tube; all ss). Currently, I am running mine with my ole' Marantz 7T ss pre and my Rotel 200 watt 1080 (two-channel) and my Classe ss pre and a Dynaco Stereo 70 tube amp (when acting as rears in a 5.1).

Enjoy the holiday with them.

Carl.

P.S. They will sound even better once you put some hours on them (not to open up that can of worms).

Its not like Dean's beautiful K-horns would be going anywhere.

I'd personally take RB-75s and a great sub over every other Reference speaker, except their Reference seven brothers. A real "tough" way to settle. As you know, its that 1.75 baby. RB-75s and a sub would still make a killer first, or in this case, second system.

Plus, I'd love to see those crossovers after he took a crack at them. 9.gif

Carl.

----------------

On 12/30/2004 9:43:51 PM BillH2121 wrote:

...By the way, I changed my mind and got the cherry finish instead of the black. I'm pleased with the way that finish looks in my living room.

----------------

Congratulations. I'm glad you got the cherry finish too. They look great and hold their value better for when you trade them in on Klipschorns.

Congrats on your purchase. It's nice to see a convert so pleased with their initial set-up. The Cherry veneer is lovely and I think compliments many decor choices. It's much nicer working with equipment that looks like furniture.

You've shown an eclectic blend of musics there Bill. Glad to hear the RF7's measure up with all of them. I too, think that for muscial 2-ch listening, a sub is rarely needed with the larger Klipsch speakers. I sure don't need one with the Mighty Cornwalls!

Good Listening, keep in touch.

Michael

----------------

On 12/30/2004 11:17:09 PM Myhamish wrote:

Congratulations, Bill

Sounds nice and classy. RF-7's in cherry and vintage Mac gear. Let me know how the old Yes albums or CDs sound. Yours is no disgrace. Hamish
----------------

Yes, 90125 has some of the best sound I've heard from my system. Bill you described my first impressions of Klipsch that got me hooked. You're in for life, enjoy!

Tom

----------------

On 12/31/2004 2:27:22 AM DeanG wrote:

Speaking of crossovers -- look at all those really old Heritage boxes you got!

What do you think about Heritage compared to the 7's?

----------------

Yeah, I know - crossovers. After the first of the year, crossover mods are on my list, right after my Marantz 7T is updated (for my RF-7s). I've read plenty of threads on Heritage crossover mods and haven't really decided on the best way to go yet. The Belles first (right off the bat), and then the Cornwall later on this spring. You'll have an e-mail on its way this afternoon to touch base on this issue.

As for comparing Heritage to the RF-7s - very different but I love both. To my ears, your modded RF-7s are more detailed and accurate than the Belles/Cornwall, but the three-way design is fuller and yes, probably more complete of a sound - due to the three-way vs. two-way. Smooth is often a comment that comes to mind. My RF-7s are now my get up, grab you by your seat, and rock your soul speakers. You experience them. That being said, I prefer my Belles/Cornwall combo for some rock, jazz and classical. Its a tough call because they both sound so different. I do also agree with your comment, however, that Yes sounds excellent on RF-7s.

The above is not meant to diminish my Belles because for most music, they are just better speakers. In fact their tight bass response surprised me in my room. Instead, the above speaks to just how good of speakers RF-7s really are, (in a different way) when properly set up, modded by you, and notwithstanding the fact that they are two ways.

Carl.