A Perspective on Priorities?!

fgarib

Hate to be a downer, but I just had to get this off my chest. I was just wondering if others are going through similar thought processes...

Since this tsunami disaster, I find myself enjoying my music (and this site, and other hobbies) less and less. Since the 26th morning, I can't help but feel a slight dark cloud hanging over many things that I do.

Perhaps it's a sympathy thing.

Or perhaps, like I felt when 9/11 happened, I can't get over how unlucky those people were to be at that place at that time.

Or perhaps it's a painful realization of how trivial our hobbies and other day to day activities are in the larger scheme of things (whatever those may be!).

Maybe it's the fact that Karachi, Pakistan is one of the few coastal cities around that ocean that were just not affected in the slightest. And perhaps, in that fortune I find some more guilt.

Or perhaps, the first hand stories that we hear from some of our friends and relatives that were vacationing in the area are too mind-boggling for us to even attempt to comprehend.

Whatever the reason is, I know that I'll come out of it one day, completely unscathed. I just pray that there is such a day for the survivors of this terrible, terrible tragedy.

Once again, I apologize for the downer. It has absolutely nothing to do with 2-channel stereo. Just wanted to get it out there.

Regards,

-F

We all entertain those thoughts. I had similar thoughts when I ordered my new projector the other day. If I was over there, I certainly would be rolling my sleeves up and helping out - not sunning myself on the beach.

To put our situation in perspective, we can help because most of us are relatively prosperous, and we live in relatively prosperous counteries. If we didn't live in such fortunate circumstances, we would not be in a position to help. We couldn't pay our taxes, which in turn pays for that massive infrastructure that also, in turn, is able to support our comprehensive ability to respond to disasters the way we do. Our taxes also pay for our helicoptor and aircraft carriers, and our airlift capabilities. We have the ability to transport relief quickly and effectively.

So be thankful we have jobs, we have buying power, we support our local economy, we buy hi-fi. Don't feel guilty. Feel grateful we can help others when they are in trouble. 12.gif

I am in full sympathy with your position. Frankly the TV has been on permanently tuned to the news almost since the disaster began.

At times like this you do the only thing you realy can do - give money - as much as you can and hope others do likewise. It is pleasing to see that some 2 billion has been donated / promised thus far - lets hope it is enough and it gets there in time.

Frankly the Greeks have not managed to get their act together on this - the banks are closed for the holidays - still - and I could not find any on-line sites taking donations.

In the end I found www.dec.org.uk - if anyone else is hunting around fruitlessly. They really have their act together - the fastest payment processing I have ever seen.

Got to be the best Christmas / New Year gift you can give!

Max,

Kinda brings to mind your ealier post about the near miss you had with the biker...

Just starts to make one think.

You're absolutely right about the giving money bit. It's perhaps the only thing that one can do... besides praying.

Thanks for the website... will look it up.

-F

I recently sent money to:

Ikat, the name of CAI website www.ikat.org, is the extraordinary silk fabric woven throughout Central Asia. Each strand is individually dyed, then woven into stunning, vibrant patterns which are recognized from village to village. Ikat is symbolic of the strength, beauty, and resilience of Central Asia's dynamic people.

Thank you for your interest in CAI. Our breakdown of expenses for the last year was:

Programs 82%

Admin. 8%

Fundraising 10%

We file a 990 with the IRS every year and have an auditor go over our books.

Our 990 is available on the website www.guidestar.org a non-profit watchdog group.

We are a registered 501 © 3 organization, meaning that we are tax exempt. Our organization must file a 990, but is not required to pay taxes due to the charitable nature of our work.

I hope that this answers your questions. If you need any further explanation feel free to contact us by email or by phone. I would also be happy to send you a copy of our 990 filed for 2003 and our 501 ©3 letter.

Best wishes for the New Year,

Susan Neubauer

Development Director

Central Asia Institute

PO Box 7209

Bozeman, MT 59771

Phone 406 585-7841

Fax 406 585-5302

Email cai@ikat.org

Web www.ikat.org

Great ideas! Here's what we did yesterday. My wife's Great Niece was being Christened. Her parents (and her extended family) are real well off, really needing nothing. As a gift, we made a donation to "Save the Children" (90% goes to programs), with a card welcoming her into the world and the community, and explaining the gift. It seemed very appropriate.

I think financial donations to trusted charities, especially those who really have the capacity to get in there and make a difference is the best thing most of us can do. Two we have used: The American Red Cross, and Holt International Childrens Services. I would recommend them.

As I watched the death toll climb, my shock and sadness grew along with it. After it hit 100,000, it semed I couldn't comprehend the numbers anymore. My capacity for shock was maxed out. It is truly overwhelming.

Usually I use the 10 days around the holidays to recharge the batteries.

Did not work this year.

Brother in Law is having 10 inches of his lower intestine remoc=ved next month

Mom is currently unergoing radiation for breast cancer

I have chronic asthmatic bronchitis that just is not getting any better

Wifes car is in the shop; could need the mpotor rebuilt.

We have it better than the Tsunami victims though

----------------

On 1/3/2005 12:59:23 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

Usually I use the 10 days around the holidays to recharge the batteries.

Did not work this year.

Brother in Law is having 10 inches of his lower intestine remoc=ved next month

Mom is currently unergoing radiation for breast cancer

I have chronic asthmatic bronchitis that just is not getting any better

Wifes car is in the shop; could need the mpotor rebuilt.

We have it better than the Tsunami victims though

----------------

Flynn, I hope all improves. I'll keep a good thought.

As a positive, my former neighbor was diagnosed with colon cancer. A 10 inch removal gave a 2 1/2 inch of clean tissue.

Talk to your Doc about ALLFEN, and Pulmicort or Advair (pulmicort and Serevent.) My Father was asthmatic I have mine under control.

To the Post Subject. There are tragedies and the there is what goes beyond comprehension.

It truly brings life into perspective.

The way we've handled donations is through Church. Our Church is acting as the go-between with all monies collected being sent to the Red Cross.

One truly wants to help all in need, but there's a realization that we cannot. At least what we do helps some. If everybody gave $25.00 that would go a long way.

I am also aware of needs here, so it becomes a delicate balance.

All we can do is hope, pray and wish for the best.

Then, let those around us know that we care or we will help them. It doesn't help those affected, but we should let those connected to us know how we feel. And back our words up with actions.

dodger

Thanks to all who have posted in this thread. It's not a downer, it's a reality check. If you don't have some kind of reaction to the tsunami disaster you just aren't paying attention, or possibly a sociopath.

I think that there are at least two appropriate areas of response:

The first thing is to ask what you can do to help. For most, that will be a cash contribution to an organization specializing in disaster relief.

The second thing is to do some self examination on your priorities.Your priorities are expressed in how you spend your time, not in how you wish you spent your time.

Was in a workshop once when the leader was asking participants to reflect on what they'd do different if they knew they only had five years to live. After considering that, he asked what they'd do different if they knew they only had one year to live. After that, then six months, one month, one week.... The question for the participants was, "If you are not already doing these things, then why not?"

The whole idea here, IMO, is living in such a way that you will be able to look back without regret. If in your assessment, with your current priorities and use of your time that you'd look back wishing you had done something different, then go do it. Life is a gift. It is short.

This disaster affects us all differently.

For me ...

My heart goes out to the enormous number of children lost and the terror of their final moments.

My heart goes out to the parents of those children who have had their souls shaken to the roots.

My heart goes out to the families of those who still don't know yet know the status of their loved ones.

The numbers are beyond my comprehension, but I just gave probably the largest gift I've ever given to a charity. It still seems inconsequential, and I just may go back and give again.

I am still not sure who is the best charity for the largest % to get to the needy in Asia. Sad I am so cynical.

Save the Children sounds good.

The Red Cross during post 9-11 "appeared" to put many millions in reserve rather than disperse all of the collected funds. I never heard the final say on that but it did disturb me.

I do not trust the Catholic Church at all even though it pains me to say so. They still have so many priest rapists they support and law suits to settle.

If I do not hear otherwise in the next week I will most likely go with save the children.

Audio Flynn,

You are wise to be cautious and expect accountability from those organizations you support. There are plenty of scammers and fundraisers who "support" their contracted organizations with 15% of the fund actually donated.

worldvision.org is a well regarded relief organization. I know some people who worked in this organization for it's one you can count on.

As this is off topic I am going to ask a question here. If it is offensive to anyone I apologize now.

Where is the grief for the over 100,000 Iraq citizens who've died?

A man made death is not worthy of our sympathy?

A God's wrath (pic one)is?

I feel for the victims of both of these tragedies.

Randy

Randy, another subject for another time, please. I think that what truly sets the two appart are the suddenness, scope and total devastation of this particular tragedy.

For me, the opportunity to truly understand the depth and breadth of this tragedy arose when one of my employees' father passed away over the Holidays. The family asked that donations be made to the American Red Cross, in the deceased's name. Even in their grief, the family appreciated the horror that the folks in the path of the tsunami were facing.

----------------

On 1/3/2005 6:10:11 PM rtaylor wrote:

As this is off topic I am going to ask a question here. If it is offensive to anyone I apologize now.

Where is the grief for the over 100,000 Iraq citizens who've died?

A man made death is not worthy of our sympathy?

A God's wrath (pic one)is?

I feel for the victims of both of these tragedies.

Randy

----------------

If one truly feels, they will reach out,

If one truly feels, one can be reached,

If one truly feels, one will give their heart,

If one truly feels, they will give their mind,

if one truly feels, any wanton death will be felt

And if one truly feels, they will attempt to stop the pain - in whatever way they can,

If one truly feels...

Randy,

Your post is taken in the light that it was meant. You're absolutely right. There are many, many injustices and misfortunes in the world that (thankfully) we are not privy to witness, save for what we see on the news.

I have been feeling for the Iraqi people ever since Saddam climbed the military ranks into his seat as a dictatorial ruler. And our company has also done a lot in the form of huge donations of food products through the World Food Program over the years.

The point is not whether one tragedy causes greater despair than the other. My point was simply that this tragedy is affecting me in ways that I am at a loss to verbalize.

However, one thing is for certain. There definitely is a light at the end of this tunnel if any of the earlier posts in this thread are an indication of how caring and concerned people can be.

Feeling much better, thanks! 16.gif

-F

Interesting argument between charitable organizations:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=586&ncid=586&e=5&u=/nm/20050104/wl_nm/quake_aid_suspension_dc

Also of interest: California is overdue for a tsunami:

****The Cascadia subduction zone is nearing the end of its seismic cycle. With recurrence of this phenomenon projected at 300 to 500 years, we're about to become due for another one. It is estimated that about 300,000 people live or work in California's coastal regions, and at least as many tourists visit them every year.

"There is a great concern," says Eisner quietly, "that if that event does occur, there would be virtually no warning. All the coastal counties of California would be at risk."

It won't be the first time California has seen "the unsurfable wave." In the state's short recorded history (starting with mission records from the early 1800s), 14 tsunamis have struck the California coast. Six of them were destructive. The worst tsunami that we know of was the result of the 1964 Alaskan (Good Friday) earthquake and caused 12 deaths and at least $17 million in damages in northern California. In Crescent City, buildings were lifted and moved by the force of the water. The 1960 Chilean quake caused minor damage in San Francisco Bay. The 1992 Cape Mendocino earthquake was another wake-up call. Although not damaging, this one-foot tsunami, which reached Humboldt Bay 20 minutes after the shaking, proved that locally generated tsunamis can reach the coastline quickly, giving authorities no time to issue a warning. If there had been a bigger earthquake, it would have been a bigger tsunami.****