K-Horns Sound Better without Grilles?

shosti

Has anyone done an a-b comparision of KHorns with and without grille cloth (over the tweeter/mid speaker). Audiophile dogma dictates that grilles over high frequency speakers are a no-no. Does this rule apply to the KHorn? Am tempted to remove the cloth covering the tweeter, and perhaps the mid as well.

I use triode amps with my '72 vintage KHorns, so I am not trying to mute transistor edge. Also using the ALK x-overs, and would like to hear all that they have to offer.

Thanks!

Of course! Anything between the ear and the driver can be a sound-altering issue.

Especially the thick, decorative grill cloth used in the Heritage horns.

However, IMO the WAF is far more important in the case of the horns as they tend to be of an imposing nature, and the higher directivity of horns allows for them to be, at least sonically acceptable.

DM2.gif

I think it would be a shame to take the grill cloth off the K-Horn.

I have the L-Pads that Erik Mandaville installed

on my squawkers in the '95 AK-3 K-Horns.

{ The high end is perfect for my taste. }

I also added a grill to my '85 LaScala center channel

and tested it with and without the grill,

since I used velcro to adhese the speaker...just like the Heresy's are adhesed.

The L-Pad assists w/ the high end on my Heritage system and I have plenty of "air" !

The mid and tweeter horns on the K-horn are mounted directly to the grill itself (well, at least the front "block" that the grill is stapled to. You cand do this to see if you like the sound better, but if you completely remove the grill cloth, it might not be easy to put it back on if you ever decided to. Of course there are other avenues you can do to get arount that, such as making your own "grill-less" front mount for the horns.

However, the speakers are supposedly voiced (i.e., crossover settings) for the grill cloth, so that is how they are supposed to sound. Even with the thick grill cloth, I don't feel that I'm losing any sound.

Can I suggest unscrewing the tweeter from the K-Horn

and just setting it on top of the cabinet first, before taking the grill off ?

That would be the best way to test (in my opinion),

instead of just guessing with hope, ... by ripping the grill off !

I twist a bit over the grill on grill off issue with my La Scala's. They look better in a home environment with them on IMHO but I beleive the tweeter is a little more pronounced without them. I would not take the grill covers off of K-Horns myself but that is up to you. I agree with what is posted above, build a new HF box if you want to test them that way you won't have to try to undo any mistakes.

I agree w/ J.4knee.

Building a HF box would be so easy to do...and it doesn't even have to be sealed.

All you'll need is a face plate and 2 supports for the sides, to test !!

In the event that you don't like the cloth off...it would be a costly event to redo.

But, if you do need to recloth your grill...I have the connection.

Let me know if ya need some grill cloth.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I'll try the HF box approach to avoid having to refit the grille cloth. I bought a roll of the cloth from Klipsch some time ago, but the massive stapling job required (assuming I want to keep the grille) is more than I want to deal with right now.

----------------

On 1/5/2005 10:59:29 PM DeanG wrote:

Any
grill cloth used on
any
speaker is part of the voicing -- if it's there, leave it alone.

----------------

Dean - I enjoy having the grilles off my RF-3IIs - I believe it makes a positive difference.

Sorry. I was thinking about vintage designs, where the cloth was often used to tweak the sound, and was an integral part of the voicing process. Most modern designs use fabrics that are nearly transparent in nature, and playing the speakers without the grill doesn't usually make enough of a difference to get worked up over. Besides, in the case of most -- one can add or remove at will. This certainly isn't the case with the Klipschorn or Belle Klipsch.