Best CD player hou ever heard...

Audio Flynn

----------------

On 1/6/2005 3:13:24 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

Actually tyhis is the first time other than tires and oil changes I have been hit in 2 years with major repairs.

Biggest factor not to finance is cost of insurance for 2 drivers under the age of 22 in the house.

Wayne county near Detroit in Michigan is nasty for insurance. For 3 cars I pay almost $ 3500 per year with only liability on 2 of them; collision for the newest one.

If I had another financed car it would be closer to $ 5000.

My Saturn and Ford VAn both have over 95,000 miles and run pretty close to showroom new for valve and bearing quietness.
----------------

Flynn,

I wasn't going to go into the insurance factor but that is another good reason to keep what you have.

Tom

About the newer is better. Pick a player that sounds good to you and just listen to the music. There will always be something that might do one thing or more better and your player will always(probably) always do something better than the newer or more expensive player. Don't get in a tizzy. We all need to listen more and fret less. Not fretless, I was never good enough to play one of those.Well actually never tried. 11.gif If you really like the tubed Jolida for goodness sakes buy it and tell us how it sounds so we can wish we had one too!3.gif Hope you buy it, I would like to upgrade soon myself and any info is good, been leaning toward the AH! but who knows what will come up before I get my sheeite together. Have fun.9.gif

Who's going to the guitar show in Columbus this Sunday.....

----------------

On 1/6/2005 2:13:55 PM AnalOg wrote:

----------------

On 1/6/2005 12:38:10 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

Best I've heard: AH! Njoe Tjoebs w/upsampler
----------------

The upsampler really takes it to the next level.

Tom

----------------

One thing nice about the AH! is that the upsampler is installed by the end user. If one runs across a good deal on a machine w/o the upsampler, it could be ordered at any time from upscaleaudio.com

Tom's description of the upsampler as "next level" rings true with my experience. The AH! is no slouch stock. Adding the upsampler is one of the rare (IMO) genuinely worthwhile upgrades available in the audio gear market. Essentially a dedicated DAC, it is easily installed and requires no adjustments to make it right, in contrast to what one might encounter with an outboard DAC.

I have the Phlilps DVD963SA. While being able to switch back and forth between "upsampled or standerd" CD play back, I cannot tell any difference at all in the sound of either. But I do like the slightly forward, detailed sound of the player. It matches well with my tone controlled B&K Preamp, B&K amp and Forte 2 home theater system.

I also have the SONY C333ES SACD player with the five different CD filters. I also cannot tell the difference in sound quality between the filters. The SONY has a slightly laidback, less detailed sound compared to the Philips. Which can be a good thing when adding this player to a amp and speaker combo that sounds forward or bright.

Matching is key.

1.gif

----------------

On 1/6/2005 2:47:46 AM DrWho wrote:

I can't remember the exact model number, but the best sounding CD player I've heard is a Carver 1bit DAC. No matter what quality the downstream equipment is, you can always hear the improvement switching to this player. It also has a very nice transport and costs only a couple hundred dollars. Carver went out of business and now doesn't make them anymore (they're back now), but every once in a while I'll see one on the used market and wish I had the money to get it.

----------------

PC050494_rt_scsv.jpg

Do you mean the SD/A-490t with its vacuum tube output? I had the non-tube version (SD/A-450) for many years, and it never failed me. As good as it did sound, I honestly like the sound quality of my latest 24/196 Cambridge Audio azur 640C player better...much more detail to my ears IMO.

Wonder if Decware can put a 12AU7 tube output on my azur 640C? Bet that would compete with the Ajoe Tjobe and the JoLida...

post-11084-13819260190364_thumb.jpg

Yeah, the ol' Carver SDA/490T.

The circuit and DAC chip wasn't much, nor the parts quality or the LF analog output. Something like 9 opamps in the output circuit for variable out and fixed out.

First player I ever modded, 4 or 5 times.

Tough cicuit.

Hexfred diodes, Nichicon Muse caps, Elna Cerafine, all opamps were swapped out for fancy free samples from Texa Instruments, different feet, tons of Blue Tac for damping,(keep that crap off the chips), and Bugle Boy 6DJ8's in the tube buffer circuit, I also recapped the volume control circuit with Elna Cerafine.

It always had issues with cueing up and picking selected tracks, and the transport finally gave up after 5 Billion CD's.

So I gave the 6DJ8's to Sheltie Dave, and gutted the player donating the Hexfred diodes to the Rega Planet

Ol' Bob was a smooth sounding player, I do miss it.

The Limey Planet is the next guinea pig.....

----------------

On 1/6/2005 2:47:46 AM DrWho wrote:

Wonder if Decware can put a 12AU7 tube output on my azur 640C? Bet that would compete with the Ajoe Tjobe and the JoLida...

----------------

On the decware site, the builder wrote about transitioning from modding a Pioneer unit (which was discontinued by Pioneer) to the Sony unit... he mentioned thinking that the design would be transferrable. At first the Sony unit modded with the same mods as the Pioneer didn't sound right. So it took some considerable working out of the mods to make it work for the Sony. So, who knows, but I'd not be surprised if the mod stragegy wasn't readily usable in other machines. From what I hear about the Azure, it is one sweet machine, in it's own right.

I'm in total agreement with the AH! Njoe Tjoeb CD player. I wrote a review on audioreview, I was so pleased with it (and the customer support by Kevin and Jared).

I cannot say enough about give it the chance to break in! I listened to it for approximately 400 hours before it took on a life of it's own!

(yes, I have the upsampler too)

Very fine piece of equipment, at least to my ears!

Steve