Noel Lee of Monster Cable speaks out:

kenratboy

Well a look at what they have trademarked, or examined for trademark includes the word "Monster" in a number of areas.

If they are successful in trademarking the wrod "Monster" in a number of these categories/classes will open the door for them to sue.

Unless it is a name/word such as Kodak or Xerox it perturbs me.

The same way Burger King tried to step on a Restaurant that used the name "Whopper."

He mentions layman's copyright. To me you don't bring that up unless you are trying to lay claim.

I am not an Attorney.

However, since this is the first publishing of this document, I could claim Layman's Copyright by adding:

Copyright,©, January 2005, W.H. xxxx (last name), Rochester, NY, all rights reserved. This must be on from the first printing. The only class exempt for asking permission of a copyrighted article is for braille use for the blind.

As a posting on a Klipsch Forum, it would be a battle. I also notice he said nothing about registered or trade mark. Similar to copyright but used for a Company such as Klipsch. Lawsuits could be filed under those.

My opinion of Monster Cable still stands at -25.

dodger

Copyrights and trademarks are very different things. Titles (of books, films etc) cannot be copyrighted. So Bradbury's whining about Farenheit 911 was entirely personal, he had no legal recourse strictly on the basis of the similiar name. I have a registered copyright on a certain chunk of text with a title attached. I have rights as far as the text goes, but the title is fair game. When I register that as a trademark (or servicemark) it's a different ballgame insofar as goods and services (as opposed to intellectual property).

----------------

On 1/7/2005 2:43:49 PM boom3 wrote:

Copyrights and trademarks are very different things. Titles (of books, films etc) cannot be copyrighted. So Bradbury's whining about Farenheit 911 was entirely personal, he had no legal recourse strictly on the basis of the similiar name. I have a registered copyright on a certain chunk of text with a title attached. I have rights as far as the text goes, but the title is fair game. When I register that as a trademark (or servicemark) it's a different ballgame insofar as goods and services (as opposed to intellectual property).

----------------

Boom is correct. I have written a number of articles on Crime Prevention and have been published in four Countries.

One can take a number of articles, compile them into one book and obtain, or have layman's copyright to that.

it's fun learning about Copyrights. You can call the Government Information Center, get the number of the Copyright Office and obtain copies of the law and needed forms to fill out along with cost for filing a Copyright yourself.

dodger

Guest Anonymous

i'm sorry, but want to remind most of you that there is another front runner in this whole bs besides noel lee, and that is richard marsh, the guy's name is on half of thier products and he designed a lot of their stuff, which means he probably gets a lot of royalties from this company which means he has a lot to gain from their domination. I believe that he is just as much of a sell out as any pop star today, tell me if i am wrong please

i am not denying the fact that he is a smart man, and his own company marsh makes a good product, but on the monster side of things it seems like he can't help but rear his ugly head

Guest Anonymous

the lifelong audiophile asked himself---------- I thought he was a nuclear fusion engineer and then a failed musician?

"He's as close to a god as you'll find in the consumer-electronics industry."--------- Is richard Marsh the closest thing to Jesus than?

"I can be sitting here and, as soon as they come online, the camera goes on," says Lee, unable to conceal his glee. Of such madnesses are great companies made. --------------------- Can anyone say Walt Disney?????

----------------

On 1/8/2005 12:10:32 AM verso wrote:

From what I am told,

No they haven't sued anyone yet. But they have threatened to sue baseball teams, tv shows, etc.

----------------

You need to actually read the links posted above.

They have filed MANY lawsuits - including one against "MONSTER GARAGE" on discovery channel.

READ the links. It's all there!!!

BOYCOTT MONSTER CABLE!!!!

Heh, I won't buy from Monster Cable anyways.

I was going to purchase the upgrade kit - but not anymore.

I purchase the Radio Shack 16G speaker wire (50ft spool), the 2 golden 1/8" mini phone plugs, and some solder.

I'll make my own speaker cables. I would never support a company like Monster Cable.

I'm with Russ. Boycott the idiots.

I'm not sure, but didn't 'Monster Trucks' come before Monster Cable? So how did he come up with the name 'Monster Cable'? Hell, 'Monster' should be public domain. WE should make them change THEIR name.

----------------

On 1/7/2005 2:11:28 PM dodger wrote:

Copyright,©, January 2005, W.H. xxxx (last name), Rochester, NY, all rights reserved. This must be on from the first printing. The only class exempt for asking permission of a copyrighted article is for braille use for the blind.

dodger

----------------

Hey, Dodger, did you just throw that in, or do you live in Rochester? I'm from Rochester, and now I live about 50 miles south of Rochester in Wyoming County. Work brings me to the city usually once or twice a week.

I just read that ludicrous statement from Monster. Who is Noel Lee trying to kid? For example, Lee claimed that no one was suing Snow Monsters. That's technically true - they haven't been sued yet - but when Monster's corporate bloodsucker is trying to coerce a financial agreement out of them with the implied THREAT of pending legal action... to a layman such as myself, I don't really see a difference. I wonder how many companies or businesses have simply changed their name, or actually agreed to this legal form of extortion?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... I'll never give this company another DIME of my hard earned money!

I don't own any Monster cables or interconnects but I gotta give that guy credit. I know a lot of us would gladly trade places with him. To come up with something that people weren't asking for and didn't really need. And parlay that into a fleet of Forty Lambourginis. That's pretty incredible. He may be a greedy @ss, but I still gotta give him kudos for building a 300 million dollar business on 12 GA speaker wire. His stuff is probably(likely) no better than anybody elses. And certainly some Asian company could start knocking off his items at much less cost. So all he's got is the Monster name, looks like he'll do everything he can to try to keep it that way.

scott0527

yes, I don't blame him for that... it's his idea that he thinks he can OWN the monster name that kills me. Look at all the monster this and that's listed in the other moster thread. He has domain names or product names for things he will NEVER ever use yet he feels as though somehow, they would cause his company pain if someone tried to use the name... The guy is a (insert foul reference here)....