Best musical since Chicago: RAY

Colin

What no thread on Ray? How can we music lovers pass up a movie like this? Great music, great use of theater sound system, lots of instruments and loudspeakers (Altec), very fun movie, very good biopic, Jamie Fox and maybe the writer or director and some supporting cast deserve Academy nomination.

gonna be a great disc to show off systems!

"Although I'm sure it is great I've always had a problem with someone winning an Academy Award for portraying another person. That's not acting it's mimicry."

Oh Pleeeaaasssseeee!!!!

So Tom Cruise flying through the chunnel is ok....? And a person who takes the time to totally emerse himself in the looks and mannerisms of a musical hero is not?

It is all acting!!

----------------

On 1/8/2005 10:21:14 AM synthfreek wrote:

Although I'm sure it is great I've always had a problem with someone winning an Academy Award for portraying another person. That's not acting it's mimicry.

----------------

Sorry but I strongly agree with Indy here. Mimicry or not, it's acting. It has to be much more difficult to portray someone else then to develop your own character.

• 2 weeks later...

Indy I don't even know what that means? What the hell is a chunnel? I don't understand your second sentence either. I also strongly disagree that it's easier to create your own character than it is to imitate someone else. If that were the case Joe Piscopo would have a mantle of Academy Awards.

I don't know, you have to admit that it would be difficult to portray a real person and be convincing. Maybe even harder than acting like someone fictional. After all, nobody has a pre-conceived notion of how you should act with a fictional character, but they definitely do with an actual person.

Did you think Charlize Theron didn't deserve the Oscar for Monster, or Hilary Swank for Boys don't cry?

I have to admit, I don't know what Indy is talking about either, especially since Tom Cruise has never won a best actor award. (In fact I don't think he has won ANY Oscars, best actor or otherwise.)

There is a definite difference between doing an imitation of someone for a 30 second bit, and actually acting like someone for a feature film, though.

• Moderators

I agree, it's much harder to imitate someone convincingly, especially such a character like Ray Charles, who everyone knows.

Tom Cruise hasn't won any Oscars... up for Born on the 4th, Jerry Maguire, and supporting for Magnolia (which he SHOULD have won, IMO...lost to Michael Caine for Cider House Rules)...Magnolia's a terrific movie, BTW

----------------

On 1/19/2005 9:07:50 AM Amy Unger wrote:

I agree, it's much harder to imitate someone convincingly, especially such a character like Ray Charles, who everyone knows.

Tom Cruise hasn't won any Oscars... up for Born on the 4th, Jerry Maguire, and supporting for Magnolia (which he SHOULD have won, IMO...lost to Michael Caine for Cider House Rules)...Magnolia's a terrific movie, BTW
----------------

I agree with you about Magnolia and Tom Cruise's performance. I actually did some work on that film (only one set--the living room where the character played by Jason Robards was dying).

I am a huge admirier of PT Anderson. From "Hard Eight" to "Punch Drunk Love" he has never made a false move. I would rank "Boogie Nights" as one of the ten best fillms of the 1990's.

----------------

On 1/20/2005 2:44:49 PM Allan Songer wrote:

----------------

On 1/19/2005 9:07:50 AM Amy Unger wrote:

----------------

I agree with you about Magnolia and Tom Cruise's performance. I actually did some work on that film (only one set--the living room where the character played by Jason Robards was dying).

I am a huge admirier of PT Anderson. From "Hard Eight" to "Punch Drunk Love" he has never made a false move. I would rank "Boogie Nights" as one of the ten best fillms of the 1990's.

----------------

Stop it!!! You silly name dropper you! Allan, are you a gay man? Just curious.

Analogman

Allan,

With the exception of your manly posts about cars and car part thingies in the Spanish Speaking Forum, I am left to come to no other conclusion except that you must be one of us, the misfits, as it were. Furniture, film, fashion, the theatre, MUSIC, vintage EVERYTHING!, eclectic, dark smokey hard bop jazz, and yes, HI-FI, there just doesn't seem to be an end to the list, of which you know everything there is to know, just an all around "Man About Town", Gatsby sort of a gadfly.

In eager anticipation, my heart yearns for the day that you come out and let us get a little better acquainted with the REAL ALLAN SONGER.

Waiting in painful anticipation,

Analogman

This is a road we do not need to go down.

Some are very proud to state what they have done. Some just keep it to themselves.

Being Gay or Straight has NOTHING to do with any of it.

This is only going to lead to arguing and cheap shot posts.

There are things we can overlook. The sooner, the better.

The Topic is Ray Charles, a movie about a Musical Genius. The title of the Movie is RAY.

Music performed by Ray Charles. Colin makes a far more pertinent statement in noting that when the music is embedded in DVDs, CDs will be dead.

At that point we may all get the short end again.

dodger