Best musical since Chicago: RAY

Colin

----------------

On 1/23/2005 3:34:55 AM Allan Songer wrote:

Analogman--if you're trolling for a date...

----------------

Nice comeback, Allan. I have to pay that one. 2.gif

Ray Charles was one of the greats. Everyone should have at least a 'Best of' in his/her collection.

----------------

On 1/23/2005 2:05:07 AM dodger wrote:

This is a road we do not need to go down.

Some are very proud to state what they have done. Some just keep it to themselves.

Being Gay or Straight has NOTHING to do with any of it.

This is only going to lead to arguing and cheap shot posts.

There are things we can overlook. The sooner, the better.

The Topic is Ray Charles, a movie about a Musical Genius. The title of the Movie is RAY.

Music performed by Ray Charles. Colin makes a far more pertinent statement in noting that when the music is embedded in DVDs, CDs will be dead.

At that point we may all get the short end again.

dodger

----------------

Point taken, a truely facetious remark made in poor taste. I stand corrected.

Regards,

Analogman

...Anyway... I just watched Ray last night. It was incredible!!! I knew it would be good, but this blew me away. The man was definitely a genius.

As far as acting, and whether or not portraying a real person is "real" acting, Watch this movie! About five minutes into it, I forgot I was watching an actor, it felt like I was watching Ray Charles.

----------------

On 1/23/2005 3:01:24 PM analogman wrote:

----------------

On 1/23/2005 2:05:07 AM dodger wrote:

This is a road we do not need to go down.

Some are very proud to state what they have done. Some just keep it to themselves.

Being Gay or Straight has NOTHING to do with any of it.

This is only going to lead to arguing and cheap shot posts.

There are things we can overlook. The sooner, the better.

The Topic is Ray Charles, a movie about a Musical Genius. The title of the Movie is RAY.

Music performed by Ray Charles. Colin makes a far more pertinent statement in noting that when the music is embedded in DVDs, CDs will be dead.

At that point we may all get the short end again.

dodger

----------------

Point taken, a truely facetious remark made in poor taste. I stand corrected.

Regards,

Analogman

----------------

Appreciated and credit is given for your statement.

To note, the movements, the lip syncing were excellent.

A musical master.

dodger

I am forced to agree with Indy & Gary and the rest.

If what he did in Ray isn't acting, then I dont know what is.

He sure as heck had me convinced. Pretty incredible. Of course, I may have a some what slanted view, as he is one of my old home town boys.

Jamie Foxx has worked his a$$ off to get to where he is, with no free rides or handouts along the way. Just hard work. I think he deserves it. And I feel this is only the beginning for him, with many more good things to come.

Good for him.16.gif

Whatd I Say was the first tune our band played on our first gig and I can still see the girl with the red dress on! Lordy, that was forty years ago! It does seem like the movie came out a little too soon after Rays death so waiting for the DVD wont be a problem for me. It sure sounds like it will be well worth the wait.

BTW, I thought Foxx was good in Collateral and I look forward to seeing him play Ray. I think the guy has talent.

----------------

On 1/28/2005 9:31:35 PM Steve_L wrote:

I heard the RAY is coming out on DVD this Tuesday, I just saw the commercial in TV.

Be a great one to own!

----------------

Definitely!! I see myself watching it quite a few times. I understand there is an extended version as well, with an extra 20-some minutes. Not sure if it is on the same disc, or a seperate offering.

We rented and watched "Ray" Tonight. Excellent movie but I'd pass on the extra presentation. It was long enough. Foxx did a great job. Good enough to win the big award? I'm not sure about that. All the acting was quite good. My only complaint is they sure passed a lot of years at the end. Sort of like "hey it's gettin' long and we need to wrap it up." Sure loved the music though.

This movie sounded fabulous on my system - goose pimple good! I think Jamie Foxx did a tremendous job! I honestly do not have any of Ray Charles' music on CD but that is going to change now that I have seen this movie. I had heard some of the songs before and never even realized that Ray Charles had done them. Wow!

This is a must own for me so I will be purchasing the DVD.

...And The Oscar goes to....

Hang it up ladies and gentlemen, Ray wil sweep the oscars this year.

Best Actor

Best Soundtrack

Best Musical Performance

Best Picture

(And in case any of you did NOT watch disc 2, you better go back and watch it... Not only did Jamie work with Ray Charles during the production of this great film, but little did I (or the director for that matter) know Jamie foxx majored in classical piano, and was not just lip sync'ing, but actualy learned many of Charles' songs just so he wouldn't look like he was blundering his way through.)

I would agree with the ending comments made thus far... and had only one disappointment throughout the entirity of this masterpiece: I didn't get to hear Ray's version of America, the Beautiful, which to me, is truly awe inspiring.

Hate to say this, but I felt badly for not owning any Ray Charles CD's or LP's. so picked up the Anthology collection after he passed. Didn't make a connection whatsoever with any of the music on it. Listened once and put it on the shelf. I recall him as a great powerful soulful musician.

So either my recollection is very hazy or the Anthology collection was very poorly assembled. Hope the musical adventure on screen is better. Jamie Fox looks to do a very good portrayal on the clips shown thus far, but I'll wait for the DVD.

Answer this- when I say 'now boys stop that cursing' am I acting like Amy Unger or mimicing her? Which is more difficult? Does one deserve an award and the other a lower form of entertainment?

Michael

----------------

On 2/8/2005 9:00:41 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Jamie Fox looks to do a very good portrayal on the clips shown thus far, but I'll wait for the DVD.

Michael----------------

The DVD was released a week ago, so wait no longer. I think your opinion of Ray Charles will change when you watch the movie.

The wife & I rented this movie last night and we really enjoyed it. Not much more I can say about it other than what's been said here. However, I guess my brain is failing me because I didn't recall him having a heroin addiction all the way up into the late 60's. I knew he was into the drug early in his career, but thought he kicked it sooner. And just for curiosity sake, the wife & I wonder what actually caused him to loose his sight. Anyhow....

LOL....several times during the movie, the wife got kinda pissed with his rather blatant womanizing. Hell - I had to fix her a bloody mary at one point! LMAO.....

Got to give his wife some credit for sticking by him and putting up with all that crap. Was it love or money??

Excellent movie.

Tom