OT: Dog Story -- Sad Time at My House

Olorin

Dear O and J,

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your dear pets. Although a cat person, I too have had to face the loss of pets near to me at the hands of the Vet. It's the most difficult thing to do, but thank God we have the capability to end the suffering of our dear animal friends. I have always considered it the last favor one friend could do for another. Be glad that you had the time together (although much too brief, O), and know that they are better off.

As for you, time will heal. You will have other pets and love again. Don't forget those you were close to, those memories will last a lifetime.

Peace,

Michael

I'm sorry about your loss, they do quickly become attached. We lost 3 dogs in the last year. The first was to Liver failure, the second was to old age and the third was old age and cancer. They will never be replaced but we have two younger dogs to live with us now. Both came from Rescue.

Remember the good time you had with Bear, though they were too short and know that when the time is right again, there will be another loving dog to fill the space in your heart.

Olorin and Jay - I too want to extend my sympathies. Yeah...one can become attached very quickly to a pet. Like many here, I've grown up with dogs & cats over the years and, unfortunately, seen too many pass on. Some deaths were swift, some long and drawn out. No matter - none are easy to take.

I know it's not much comfort Olorin, but I think it was meant to be that you guys rescued Bear from the SPCA so he could spend his last days in the presence of folks who loved him and not some cold kennel. I'm not saying folks at the SPCA don't care about the animals in their possession, but I think you get my drift.

Not to get off-topic, but I applaud those of you that have adopted animals from rescue shelters. No slam against those folks that go to breeders. I just feel it takes a big heart to adopt an animal and, in some cases like Olorin's, accept the risks that comes with animals that have been turned in to a shelter.

Hey Joe Schmoe - our dog's name is Bailey too! He's a Sheltie we rescued.

Tom

Very sorry for your loss Olorin.

I know exactly how you feel because Sunday I was at my parents for a grilled steak dinner. During the clean up my Dad took two of the 3 old Shi Tzu's they have out and forgot to bring them in. Mitzi fell in the pool and drowned.

Three adults there and we all failed her. That cold, dark water was a terrible way for her to go and we are all devastated.

What started as a nice evening ended with me in the back yard digging a grave for her.

I can have a real hard time reading these stories, as I can relate more than I care to admit.

Some hunter shot two of our dogs on the roadside last Christmas (year ago). I am the one that finally found them and got to bury them. one was killed pretty quick I think, the other one was shot in hind quarters and clearly left to die alone and in the cold.

I'm sorry for your (anyone where it's applicable) loss. It's gut wrenching and I for one, being a very sentimental type, never really get over it.

Reading some of the above brought a tear to my eye again, so I stopped reading and skipped to the end.

Regards

• 8 months later...

I'm sorry to hear of your losses. Pets are tough to lose, but dogs are especially hard. Our dog Chloe is 12, yelloe lab, she's half deaf one day, then good the next, we think she has selective hearing, hears only what she wants to. Can't quite jump up on the bed like she used to, but breaking through the ice to get into the water in the spring probabaly hasn't been the best for her. I can see she's going downhill slowly, but until the day she can't maintain herself, or we can't do it for her, she's still our dog. A cherished member of the family.

I can tell from my previous post I saw it coming, but didn't want to admit it to myself.

Chloe started not eating a couple weeks ago, we took her into the vet, they did a blood panel and said kidney, liver, blood, all the stuff they would expect to look bad in a dog this age looked fine. Did see a viral infection of some sort, gave us a couple prescriptions and recommended to feed her boiled hamburger and boiled white rice. She ate that for a couple days, then that started coming back up shortly after eating too. Within a week, she would only eat doggie treats, and couldn't keep those down. Last thursday we noticed that one eye was rolling when she lifted her head, the next day both were. She couldn't even keep down water, but Sat morning, when I asked if she wanted to "Catch A Fish?" my sign that we were going to go out fishing, she was right there, trying her damndest to get down to and onto the boat. We were out for 45 minutes, caught 2 small bass and 4 small pike, I put em right in front of her nose and she was unimpressed, uncaring, uninterested. Back in the day, I had to position my body right while landing a fish so that she wouldn't knock me off the boat as she tried to get a taste of the fish I was trying to get into the boat. I just wanted to have her out in the boat one more time, probably more for me than her, after 13 years of her being there every time I go out, it's going to be lonely if she's not there.

Yeah, I know, I always told myself that it wouldn't be that bad, but I lied.

For those of you that aren't very old, trust me, you don't want to be the guy that explains to your 5 year old daughter that we're taking Chloe to the doctor again, but that this time, she's not going to be coming home with us, she's going to be going to heaven to play with great grandma Margeret.

Will she come home next week? No.

When will she come home? Never.

Is that why moms' crying too? Yes.

I didn't think parents cried? They do when they're sad. Oh, I didn't know that.

Can we bring her home tomorrow? No, she's going to heaven today.

Does her body go to heaven? No, we'll get her body in ashes, like when we have a campfire, but her spirit is in heaven.

This is the saddest day of my life, ever. I miss Chloe already. We know honey, ours too.

I was off by a year when I wrote my original post, Chloe would have been 14 this fall. I'm 44. That means I was 30 when we got her. It also means that she's been part of my life for 1/2 of the time that I have been driving cars. It's been 1/3 of my wifes entire life. She bought Chloe when she moved up north from MPLS to take a job and was fresh out of college in a small town with no friends and a new boyfriend that was living 130 miles away. Chloe was her sanity for a while, though she was my demise. She'd pee on the floor of the basement of the rental house Becca was living in, Bec couldn't stand to have her in a small kennel during the day, so You Know Who got to swab the basement with bleach and water every weekend. As she grew, she developed a penchant for rocks. Yes, Becca did too, the diamond type, but so did Chloe, the ROCK type. She'd like nothing better than to grab a rock out of the lake, bring it up onto the grass, and drop it, bark at it, paw at it until someone threw it back into the lake. Wild part was, she liked the same rocks. You could throw a rock out into 3 feet of water, she'd swim over where it went in with her sniffer going full bore, find a place to dive, and go in face first, if she didn't get it, she'd turn around and use her back paws to move it closer to shore so she could use her snout to pick it up. It wasn't uncommon to see her pluck her nose 2 feet under water straight down to stab at one particular rock so she could bring it back to shore, drop it, start barking and pawing at it, waiting for someone to throw it again for her.

Yeah, she dug up some yard. Yeah, she liked to go outside at 3:20 AM. Yeah, she bugged the neighbors for treats every night. Of course, when they weren't home, she barked to let us know that someone was coming up their driveway that maybe shouldn't be. It all worked out, somehow. My one neighbor didn't like dogs when we moved in, but he's 80+, and next thing ya know, they have doggie treats by the door to give Chloe when she comes over to visit. My other neighbor, he put his lab down between the first time we looked at the house and the time we bought it, so he figured he had a freebie lab, he'd take Chloe for a long weekend and just keep her at his house all weekend, she loved being there, he loved having her around.

I know I've rambled, I don't care.

I miss my dog.

Yeah, I'm crying. Shut Up.

It is so hard to lose a beloved pet. A year ago this last Easter we had

to have our 17 year old "Baby" put down do to Cancer of the jaw.

Baby was a feral kitten who showed up at our place and was taken care

of by our other cats. Our place was something of a neighbourhood

hangout for the felines around us. We often referred to her as"The

Baby" and over time the name stuck.

Neither my wife or I were able to go to work the next day. We were devastated. I understand your pain.

My heart goes out to ya CTBB, a great and terrible tale at the same time. Loved your fishin memories and the rock chasing. Sounds like Chloe really knew how to make friends. Sharing with others and crying are good for the soul. Only real men can do both. It's a good pet owner who can do this final favor for a friend. It's tough, and it'll be tough for a while.

I was doing okay until you talked about telling your daughter. Maybe it's good she's so young. Not quite understanding, her pain will ease quicker than yours. But just let it hurt, it's okay. We're here for more stories or just PM if ya need a chat, okay. I understand, I've lost several pets in my life. It never gets easier.

Rest in Peace Chloe,

Michael

Orolin, What a gorgeous animal. Very sorry to learn about your situation. We use to exclusively have German Shepherds. But we continually ran into health problems; serious and expensive health problems. The animals were miserable and we, like you, were sick with grief. The breed has been too inbred and their gene pool is now rife with problems.

The best move we made was adopting retired Greyhounds for pets. We've only done females and they're the sweetest things ever. They're a healthy breed. They've existed in their same form and purpose well, since ancient Egypt. They have a deep gene pool. The dogs come well trained and they don't shed piles of hair. Hardest part for us was finding a vet who knew the nuances of the breed. Physiologically they're more like horses. Best of luck with however you proceed.