So, whats up with your system?

kenratboy

I figured we are getting a bit OT and not a lot of audio has been talked about for a few days (I'm partly responsible!!!)

So, how is your system? Have you reached nirvana or are just getting things put together? Anything new or exciting in the works for you?

For me, I am trying to decide what speakers I want to get. I am looking at the Boston Acoustics VR series, but the center and surrounds seem kinda weak, after I rule them out, it is go time.

----------------

On 1/9/2005 11:24:10 PM kenratboy wrote:

So, how is your system? Have you reached nirvana or are just getting things put together? Anything new or exciting in the works for you?

----------------

Kinda half put together right now. But, man, that 55-inch TV is friggan sweet! After watching the Packers/Vikings game, I left it on to watch the season premier of "24". I could not stand just the TV speakers, especially for watching something like "24", so I hooked up the amp, the reciever, the sub, and the front two speakers. Even without the rest of the speakers, this dang system still sounded friggan awesome!

But, holy cow! That picture on this thiing! 9.gif

At 52, I have decided to come to the end of the line.

Unless MDeneen gets me a price for his babies.

But in the Living Room, I have a Parasound P-3 Halo Pre-amp that will be coming. For a bit, that will connected to a Parasound 800 II amp. That will go to one pair of Cornwall IIs.

I have a Technics Class A amped Receiver with TV audio capabilities. That will go to Hersesys.

My other system will be tube based. McIntosh MC-60s to Cornwall IIs.

C-20 pre.

Walnut Heresys coming. MX-110 Tuner/Pre, McIntosh MC-240 powered. MC-240 in reserve, as is a 1900 Receiver, NAD receivers, Yamaha CR-1000, CR 620, MC- 2120, 2 Sony V-FETs.

Will evaluate and sell depending upon Mark.

Definite Pradigm Mini-Monitors, Cherry, mint condition for sale.

Will have Adcom, some of the above for sale.

Other than amps, wiring on a Shure SME 3009 II and Ortofon Cartridge, I have reached a point of no more changes. Sell what will not be used, have more room, simpler life.

dodger

Guest Anonymous

my system sounds great for me, the best part about the whole thing is no matter what, i can turn it up put on some classical music and close my eyes tilt my head back and imagine the whole orechestra playing right in front of me... Thats probably my favorite part about having a 2 channel system is the ability to just let your ears and imagination create something in your mind. I can just space out and forget everything that is going on in my life.

On the other hand my home theater system looks really nice, i have the front 2 speakers mounted on the wall and the wire run through the walls and it looks great, i have been meaning to post some pics sometime this week. I still have to do the rears, but considering I have watched 2 dvd's in the last 4 weeks I am in no rush at the moment.

Lastly, I got a chance to listen to my buddies hand made conrad johnson system. And of course it puts mine to shame. It is so incredibly clear. The theils sound very crisp and very very clear. Its wired withh mit cables and the works. I really like the conrad johnson stuff, but I am not to high on the theils. Still better than my system, but if i spent 12 grand I would have bought a different pair of speakers thats for sure.

Lastly lastly, I finally hooked up the pro-medias to my m-audio sound card, and once again it blows away that horrible sound blast that i have. I have the audigy 2 plat and its turned out to be really disapointing, I love that m-audio card i bought every time i fire it up, which is not often...

Ken: Boston Acoustics, really? The company I work for has a Co-partnership with Boston for automotive audio development. Therefore, we are able to get Boston's products at wholesale for our own use. So, 2-1/2 years ago, before I'd heard Klipsch Reference Series speakers, I wanted to go listen to Boston's reference series system, thinking that if I liked them, i could save a lot of money. I called all over lower Michigan trying to find a store that had them in stock, or even set up. Nobody had them! Why? All of the stores told me the same thing: Too hard to sell because according to their customers, they don't stand a chance against brands such as B&W and Klipsch! I am not making this up. Therefore, without even hearing them, I decided to nix the idea of trying Boston.

As for my system: I am currenty tweaking everything, now that construction is done and the dust has settled. I am lfinally earning how to use the deeper-level aspects of each of my compnonets. I am installing things such as cooling fans, themostats, volt meters, all to properly monitor and protect my investment. We're also watching a lot more movies, too! 9.gif

My system is almost perfect for me at this time. I want to add a SACD player but have not found the money to forfill that yet. Although I did get XM Radio for Christmas. Man it sounds real good through my system. I can listen to Jazz all day long if I want comercial free with a digital signal.

Constant state of flux this year. I moved to 1950's home, so all systems got a rebuild. New Yamahs RXV2400 for Cornwalls in main hearth room, swapped out RB3 surrounds for two of the RB5's I got from FOrum. Experimenting with RC7 and KLF-C7, can't hear much difference. Parts on the way to manufacture custom Center Cornwall.

Basement system got the old RXV850 yamaha and two RB3's previously surrounds. Ive' got another pile of Ksb-B1 with center KSC-C1 that might fit into bedroom. Basically, I've purchased waaaaay too many speakers and haven't the amps or the room for them all. I'll sort it all out in 2005

Michael

Very pleased with the HT s/u. Seriously want to try a center channel on the audio system. Perhaps it's moot. Got the Khorns on the short wall of a 16 X 30 room. The corners are ideal, ceiling at 9ft. I do have great soundstage at the sweet spot. But after reading all the posts about a center mono channel I want to hear what it may add to the system.

Are the horns too close together to benefit much from the center mono channel?

Problem, I can't fabricate a minibox. Know how but can't physically..disabled..hands don't work well. Need help. Anyone interested P.M. me.

----------------

On 1/10/2005 7:45:06 AM picky wrote:

Ken:
Boston Acoustics, really? The company I work for has a Co-partnership with Boston for automotive audio development. Therefore, we are able to get Boston's products at wholesale for our own use. So, 2-1/2 years ago, before I'd heard Klipsch Reference Series speakers, I wanted to go listen to Boston's reference series system, thinking that if I liked them, i could save a lot of money. I called all over lower Michigan trying to find a store that had them in stock, or even set up. Nobody had them! Why? All of the stores told me the same thing: Too hard to sell because according to their customers, they don't stand a chance against brands such as B&W and Klipsch! I am not making this up. Therefore, without even hearing them, I decided to nix the idea of trying Boston.
----------------

The Boston's and Klipsch's blew away the Def Tech powered towers, thats for sure!

Meh, I guess I need to stick with Klipsch 2.gif

I am enjoying the heck out of my new B&W 703's (sorry, all you klipsch hounds but I think I may be a convert).

I just added a close-out Infinity Alpha 1200s sub and am having a lot of fun with that, too! In fact, it's so much fun, I think I'm gonna try to swing a second one while there are still a few available on ebay.

Down the line, I think I will try to pick up a B&W HTM-7 center channel speaker. It will be the best match for the 703's.

Don't laugh too hard, but I am gonna use my four old Realistic Minimus 77's for surround speakers. At least until I can swing something better. But, I'm really not that critical of what I use for surrounds anyway. In a music rig, they basically just reproduce echo and reverb anyway.

The Pioneer twins (VSX55TXi & DV47Ai) are doing fine for mw now. In fact, I could get along pretty well if they were the only two components I had! I do enjoy a bit of Music Choice on the cable box now and then, though.

It truly is all good!1.gif16.gif

I've got a pair of older B&Ws in my wife's quilting room with a Promedia 5.1 subwoofer, amp and a Pioneer 563 SACD. I hooked them up in place of my Heresys once with the Jolida 302B,I am supremely unimpressed. Typical B&W sound, overly warm mid-bass and burn your ears high highs.For my money.......see my profile.

JDM, (EDIT) I know the problem you faced with the horns in your room, That is why so many speakers are built with that bass bump. It's all a matter of what sounds best to you in your room with your equipment.

Rick

----------------

On 1/10/2005 3:32:33 PM nicholtl wrote:

I love my system, but in 5 years time I probably will have completely new components. I'm pretty sure of it.

----------------

That's it, I'm buying his recommendation, figure I'm through and HE's going to change.

Just when you think you're done...

dodger3.gif

oscarsear:

Are the horns too close together to benefit much from the center mono channel?

NO....they are not at all too close for a center additive .

A 16 feet spread on the K-Horn is about how wide mine are ...and they sound great !

I have a LaScala as center channel and it has made such an incredible difference.

Go for it !

For a look, check it out...

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=59011

I have the preamp, and amp all taken care of. The subwoofer is next but I keep putting it off because I can't make up my mind. Now I'm waiting see the new HSU VTF-3HO.

I also need a new DVD player since my preamp doesn't decode and my Toshiba DVD won't decode DTS. I'm thinking about the new Yamaha DVD-2500, it looks promising.

I've got the Outlaw ICBM on my list and I actually tried to buy a B-stock unit during a free shipping promotion but they were out of them.

After all that I'll give some thought to switching out my RS-7 surrounds with some RB-75's.

I just built a HTPC and am LOVING the preliminary results. That is why I have not been here much lately, but on HT forums.

If you have a projector, you should seriously think about dumping your DVD player and building a HTPC... Lots of great and powerfull software out there, most of it is free.

I plan to start an informative thread in the HT section once I get a few more kinks worked out.

JM