Handling Tubes

cjgeraci

As you know, I am a tube rookie. Getting ready to do my first roll on my Mark IIIs. I assume I should handle the old & new tubes so as to not get fingerprints on them (or oil). If so, what do you guys use?

Cotton gloves? In the absence of those, a clean cotton towel? Any other materials ok? Anything to be careful about? Is left over lint a concern?

Inquiring minds want to know (actually - probably just mine).

Thanks.

Carl.

----------------

On 1/10/2005 2:28:24 PM 3dzapper wrote:

----------------

On 1/10/2005 2:19:51 PM Cal Blacksmith wrote:

I have white cotton gloves, I did not go out of my way to get them but they were free so I figgured they couldn't hurt.

----------------

Wayne, I'm sure that you look dashing in them!!!

2.gif

Rick

----------------

Well I wonder if they are just wrist or arm length.3.gif

dodger

Thanks guys. Since these Mark IIIs have been rebuilt once, I wanted to give them a quick roll to see how they sound before I end up having Craig just tear them down and do them right!!! I've had many great suggestions (thanks ErFan!), but ultimately, availability limited some of my options. Based on Dr. Bill's (and Dodger's) suggestions, I am going to try some KT-90s (Electro-Harminix) to see how they sound.

I am really enjoying owning two nice tube amps. I am now swapping the Marantz 8B and the Mark IIIs back and forth between the Belles and the RF-7s (along with swapping my Peach and Marantz 7T). Each new combination of preamp with amp brings something new and delicious with each set of speakers. I am still not sure which will end up where, but it is a nice problem to have!!

I will let you know if I concur with Dr. Bill's assessment of the KT-90s.

Thanks again.

Carl.

white gloves are not necessary, the oil on your hands will do no damage to the glass of the tube (other than smudge), if you don't like smudges wipe the tubes down with a clean t-shirt after they are placed. pull the tubes out by the base as mentioned before and try to aviod tapping, shaking or bumping the tubes, especially while current is applied to them. other than that they are mostly rugged, long-lived items that require no real care. regards, tony