Which Marantz?

christjared

The Marantz 2235 to the 2330 series seem to have the warmest sound of the Marantz recievers. I had a 2330B that I recently sold and often regret it. (needed the money). AudioKarma.org has a ton of good info on it's forums, and the guys are very helpfull and friendly. Also try Classicaudio.com for Marantz "rough" valuations. Good luck and best wishes,

Dave

The HK 730 probably compares quite nicely to the Marantz 2245-2265 series. I have a 2245, and until recently a 2330. The 2330 was sweet and powerful (wish I had not sold it), the 2245 and my HK 430 have a similar sould with the HK probalby having a little more bass warmth to it. The little HK430 and my Pioneer SX-950 probably are the best match I've listend to on my Fortes.

The Marantz 2325 is a very nice piece. The wood cases were real wood on these. Be careful, a 2235 is not nearly the same piece!

Also, check out a SR-7000G. Also a wood-cased receiver from 1979 or 1980, high wattage and nice looking. I'll be getting one of these in soon if you're interested.

Greg

gregroberts@adelphia.net

I am listening to a 2230 right now. This is the receiver I have for the office (one of the perks of working in a shop) The power is rated at "only" 30wpc, but it is a very powerful 30WPC so don't compare this to modern SS, or boom box ratings. The 2230 has a low filter, high filter, loudness (don't use this much because it is a bit too powerful) the ability to run four speakers via tow seperate taps, AM, FM, Phono, Tape, and AUX selections and a very adjustable tone control section with bass, midrange, and treble knobs. The tuner is very good and pulls in weak stations, or pulls in stations eventhough the surrounding area is cluttered with transformers that make other tuners usless. The tuner does drift a bit so regular tweaking is needed, but that is not a big deal. This is a very nice receiver for two channel. I also have a 2250, which is basically the same thing but rated at 50wpc. The durability or repair record of MARANTZ is viewed very differently by many. My 2230 has never had any issues, the 2250 had a contact come loose that caused the left channel to drop out...easy fix though, but it still had to be fixed. These are a little heavy so if you have one shipped make CERTAIN it is packaged correctly and double boxed, otherwise it will get damaged in shipping. If you are interested in the either the 2230 or 2250 give me a holler. I can be reached at (dan.levesque@minarik.com) or 651-905-7522. I am in Minnesota. Thanks and have a great day.

• 6 years later...

When I had to get some maintenance work done on a MARANTZ 2330B (light replacement -- also replaced some capacitors, had it checked for anything else that was marginal), I bought a re-furbished Marantz 2235B. I was surprised to discover that the "low end" Marantz receivers sound as clean as the "high end" ones -- they just don't have the top-end power, and lack some of the nice extra features.

I've kept the 2235B, and debated whether or not to sell it ... for now, it's a "headphone listening" station (which seems like a waste of equipment), but it abolutely blows away anytinhg else you'll find for $300 or less (and with the wood case and soft blue lights, it looks much better than any of the cheap-plastic crap you can find at Best Buy or Fry's). Hooked up to a pair of Klipsch La Scalas, the 2235B amplifier section has more than enough power than you'll need for most home listening.

I agreee with the overall recommendations here: any Marantz in the 2220B - 2330B series (including 2275, 2325, etc.) restored or just well-maintained, is going to be very satisfying.

I wonder how the vintage Marantz stuff compares to my H/K 730?

Old thread.....I know. [;)]

Of all the receivers that I had I kept the Marantz 2230 and the H/K 430. Sweet sounding low powered receivers that work great in secondary systems paired up with KG 4.2's. However, I do regret selling the 2325.......I should have gotten it restored. [:(]

If my tubes go down.....these will be my "go to" amps. [Y]

The 2265 through 2285 are supposed to be the best in 22 series. I've not heard them but that is the consensus among the vintage Marantz reciever people I've come in contact with.

I bought a brand new 2225 and some sweet AKG headphones with my newspapaper route proceeds when I was 15 years old. Great to listen to Ernie Harwell broadcast the Tigers on AM as well.

2225 tuner wheel went bad and I found a nice Dennon integrated amp at the same time. I took it to the Salvation Army. Dumb stuff you do in your 20s!.

I always regretted not going with at least the 2245 or higher.