Oddball Klipsch?!

stimpy451

So I'm at my girlfriend's grandparent's house last night - she lives there now as her grandfather is dead and her grandmother is in a home. Anyway, in the basement is the remnants of the old boy's setup which includes two HUGE Klipsch corner speakers. The cabs are actually built open in the rear to be placed in room corners. They are probably about 4 ft. tall and must weigh a ton. There was a center channel which I assume is a Cornwall. I didn't get a very good look at them as there was only one lamp in the room. I could barely make out the rear tags on the big units.

He was driving them with a pair of Marantz Model 15 monoblocs and had taken the front aluminum plate off for some reason, and the center channel was driven by a single Marantz Model 14. The head had been taken by her cousin, but I'm wondering where he pulled the center channel from.

Also a very nice servo Sony turntable.

The girlfriend is checking with her mom to see if it's all right for me to inherit this stuff. I've got my fingers crossed but I'm going to have a hard time getting those cabinets up to my listening room....

Any idea what the cabs could be?!

Pete in Michigan

How does that work? How do YOU "inherit" something that belonged to the grandfather of your girlfriend? Does the woman who's "in a home" have any say in the matter? Technically, it all belongs to her. The fact that she is institutionalized doesn't lessen her rights of ownership. Perhaps your girlfriend's mother is the legal guardian? Is the family so well off that they don't need the money the items might bring?

Maybe I've missed something and if so I apologize for being so judgmental, but as one who has witnessed many examples of what I call "vulturism" in families, I find it sickening.

Grandmother has Alzheimers. And yes, I agree with you 100% about "vulturism". One of my in-laws had an estate sale for his father right after they put him in a nursing home. It's scary how we treat our aged family members.

I guess I used the term "inherited" a little loosely. Since I can't plug anything in and there's extensive mold damage from a recent flooding, I offered $500 for the Klipschorns and the Marantz 15. It's all up to them, it's not my family.

what "head" is missing? $500 is a STEAL for that setup, the marantz 15 will need some work to sound its best but after rebuilding it you could get almost $500 for that unit alone, in "as is" condition you might get $200-250 for the Marantz 15 and the klipschorns, if they work, should be worth at least $1k. regards, tony

The Marantz 15 has been disassembled into monoblocs, hoping to dig around down there and find the faceplate but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Keep in mind I'm still not sure if the Klipschorns were partially submerged or not - there is mold line about a foot off the floor on the cabinets. I'll test them with my Marantz 140 but I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

If they do function, I can't wait to compare between my Altec-Lansing Stonehenges...

BTW, "head unit" = preamp

Stimpy, it sounds like the "old boy" knew what he was doing audiowise. Probably a good thing you recognized this as good equipment. Someone else could have come along and thought it was worthless old junk and chucked it into the dumpster.