replacing the jumper plates on biwireable speakers?

Shiva

Guest Anonymous

ohh and dragonfry, i got took my physics classes at Michigan Tech and horribly enough they must have taught me wrong and further more they really didn't teach me about circuits that what all those electronic classes were for... but they were wrong too huh?

To recap the lunacy:

lynnm

Klipsch speakers uses gold plated straps and gold has a lower resistance than copper. In addition given that the distance between the connection points in question is less than 1/2" any difference in resistance would be unmeasurable without laboratory grade instrumentation.

Comment: Wrong and not necessarily true. The relative resistivity of the materials is wrong. But the insignificance of the jumper's probable effect was Agreed with in the next post!

Dragonfyr

Gold has a HIGHER resistance than silver or copper.I will not even comment on the bi-wiring debate! There are SO many other variables that make such a GREATER difference.

Comment: WOW! So he has the audacity to cite an objective value and to disagree with someones religious belief! A blasphemer! And maybe a witch! Burn him!

Gramas701

wrong about gold resistance being higher than copper it goes as follows

1. plat -- to expensive to do aythign with

2. silver -- oxidizes very fast and people say it provides a very cool cool coloration of sound

3. gold -- most common on higher end stuff

4. copper -- most commn wire conducter

5. tin -- used for rca inputs on old equipment, and cheap recievers

Also your comments are asking to set off the great cable debate which happens weekly around here.... you are treading on a very touchy subject here...

in the world of high end audio most tube amps pre-amps etc do not even use printed circuit boards because they are not needed and people will aregue to the death that they are horrible for analog audio

Comment: Both gold and platinum have higher resistivity/lower conductivity than silver and copper!

And the great cable debate? I have no interest in a religious debate. But the physics, sure!

lynnm

Gramas is correct regarding the electrical conductivity of gold vs. copper.

Dragonfyr

So I quote the source of the wrong value: the Handbook of Physics and Chemistry

Comment: In other words, he has the nerve to cite the source that is the basis for the wacko belief! Go figure!

Dragonfyr

And PCBs are inappropriate for analog use?!!!!

Comment: None!!! This one calls for a beer!

Gramas701

as a matter of fact your "book" is wrong thanks though, i guess that college of degree os mine really paid off now

Comment: Nope, sounds like money well spent!!!!

Dragonfyr

So we quote from another 'wrong' source, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" by Serway.

Comment: More cries of Burn the witch!

Champagne Taste Beer Budget

The condecending manner in which you write will garner you more enemies than friends in a quick hurry. As hard as you may find it to believe, there may be people on this board with not only more education than you in the topics frequently discussed here, but also a better grasp of some of the theories to which you speak than you yourself have.

Comment:

And my point regarding the resistance of copper versus gold is disproved by quoting resistively values of gold and silver??.

To repeat my initial statement (which a few have accidentally come to say things which are closely aligned except for the resistivity doesnt count folks! Gold has a HIGHER resistance than silver or copper.I will not even comment on the bi-wiring debate! There are SO many other variables that make such a GREATER difference.

I would truly hope that these people to whom you refer exist! Its truly a shame that none of them showed up today! And all this reaction because I dared to simply correct an incorrect, objectively verifiable fact!

lynnm

Who in the end really gives a scheize about the relative conductivity of gold/copper/silver/zinc/unobtainium

Comment:

Now the issue that was big enough for them to want to burn the witch is suddenly unimportant.

tpg

Just for another note, check out this electrical conductivity chart. It shows gold being less conductive than copper and silver being more conductive. I think that lower conductivity translates into higher resistance, yes?

Comment: Oh, oh! Another witch?

Champagne Taste beer budget

Now we get into the semantics, or possibly preferred definition, of some words. Conductivity and resistivity. Sounds like they'd mean the same thing, no? Going to have to do a little search on this one. I do like the chart though!

Comment: And yes, for those to follow who are confused by the purely semantic issue, conductivity and resistance are the inverse of each other! C= 1/R; 1/C!

William F. Gil McDermott

The science/phsics/ee above is probably correct but I'm not going to waste my time looking up conductivity. The real way to do it is consider the total loss in the loop.

That includes output impedance of the amp, the resistance of the feed wire, the connections, the jumpers, and the effective impedance of the internals of the speaker. The latter includes the voice coils, internal wiring and crossovers.

Comment:

The total loss of the Loop? Perhaps you are referring to matching the source with the load in order to optimize the maximum power transfer theorem, or to attempt to match the Nyquist (complex impedance - of which the resistivity is but one variable) plot of the source with the total load (Everything the amp sees) an easy way to determine how an amp will perform and sound with a load!! For example, it makes no sense to drive a subwoofer with an amp that is capacitive at the lower 3-4 octaves, or to drive the MH frequencies with an amp that is inductive at the MH frequencies!! The impedance is a frequency dependent complex variable and is NOT a constant resistive value!

And the effect of the jumper unless there is a mitigating issue with the connection such as significant corrosion at the junction or a high resistance of the jumper, the issue is probably relatively insignificant and that is why I initially said I wouldnt even worry about it !

Gramas701

hahaha this is probably some of the funniest posts i have read in a long time!

Comment: An understatement!

Gramas701

ohh and dragonfry, i got took my physics classes at Michigan Tech and horribly enough they must have taught me wrong and further more they really didn't teach me about circuits that what all those electronic classes were for... but they were wrong too huh?

Comment:

Evidently!

You evidently missed the point of the physics class as well! But lets not confuse a discussion of the performance and function of an A/V system with basic physics!!

And electrical engineering is simply a focus on the quarter of the intro physics course along with mechanics, thermodynamics, and optics (not to mention modern/ quantum physics!). EE courses simply focus on that aspect of physics in a very simplistic manner meaning how (but not why) stuff behaves at relatively low temperatures! (Just as solid state electronics is based on the much more exhaustive exploration of solid state and quantum physics! As in physics the how is not only explored, but the theoretical whys are explored in much more depth as well!) In other words, the engineering curriculum is just the practical application of the concepts introduced in the first year of that confusing physics class!

I will try to remember not to use so much of that confusing physics stuff in the future! Lets stick with that objective language that many seem to be more comfortable with the sound is more open, or it sounded a little more blue than red. Yep, lets not complicate things with BASIC physics! Burn the witch who happened to cite the proper insignificant value and unknowingly step on a few toes and egos!!

I am glad to explain any concept I mention for any who might ask! But, with all due respect, such a grand display of unabashed arrogance and ignorance rather then an attempt to discuss and debate an issue on the part of several folks here doesnt make me stupid! Except that I assumed that the forum was comprised of folks who valued accuracy in the discussion. And I accept full responsibility for that folly! So, if ignorance is bliss, I apologize for waking a few of you very peaceful folks!

"Except that I assumed that the forum was comprised of folks who valued accuracy in the discussion. And I accept full responsibility for that folly! So, if ignorance is bliss, I apologize for waking a few of you very peaceful folks!"

Sorry to see that comment. It comes off as hostile and arrogant.

----------------

On 1/15/2005 12:33:16 PM lynnm wrote:

"Except that I assumed that the forum was comprised of folks who valued accuracy in the discussion. And I accept full responsibility for that folly! So, if ignorance is bliss, I apologize for waking a few of you very peaceful folks!"

Sorry to see that comment. It comes off as hostile and arrogant.
----------------

Agreed. You blew it Dragon slayer. All that long thought out repsonse and you end it with a petty cheap shot just to show us your sharp wit!