Brain exercise for Jazz Fans.

boomac

jon, you don't sing with YES do you?

as far as the jazz goes my list is only mentioning the artists and you will see that i'm a lightweight when it comes to listening to jazz. although i enjoy some early jazz (dave brubeck quartet, duke ellington, etc.) i enjoy listening to soft jazz by the likes of grover washington, jr., chuck mangione and bob james. i especially enjoy bob james...

and has anyone ever heard of tim weisberg? cool flute playing! again it's more smooth and light than some but i find it fun and relaxing.

Pete - I too like Grover and Bob James but check out some of the other "older" titles mentioned in this thread.

I may have to replace one of my favorites with "Night In Tunisia" from the "Everybody Likes Hampton Hawes" LP. I can't get enough of it.

I'll try to avoid what I'm into "today" and really go for an "of all time" generic list:

Eric Dolphy-Hat And Beard-album=Out To Lunch

Miles Davis-Shhh/Peaceful-album-In A Silent Way

Dave Brubeck-Take Five-album=Time Out

Grant Green-Idle Moments-album=Idle Moments

Steve Reich/Pat Metheny-Electric Counterpoint-album=Electric Counterpoint

----------------

On 1/16/2005 3:27:05 AM boomac wrote:

You better start listening to some Hampton Hawes Gary. Man, "Everybody Likes Hampton Hawes."
---------------

Everybody who has head him anyway.

Danny Grissett TORE UP "Billy Boy" last Tuesday night--but Hampton Hawes' version is still my favorite.

----------------

On 1/16/2005 3:43:47 AM Piranha wrote:

----------------

On 1/13/2005 11:11:06 PM NOSValves wrote:

Mine are easy

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

9.gif"2.gif"
----------------

Hey, you better be careful. One of these jazz gurus might come and lay you out in Indy!!!
2.gif"
lol
9.gif"

----------------

I think most of us would regret laying Craig regardless of location. (no offense, Craig- you're just not my type)

'C Jam Blues', by The Oscar Peterson Trio from 'Night Train' on Verve. If this track doesn't get your feet moving, nothing will.

'You Look Good To Me', by The Oscar Peterson Trio from 'We Get Requests' on Verve. Ray Brown's bass playing is superb in this track.

'Midnight Sun', by Ella Fitzgerald from 'The Harold Arlen Songbook Volume 2' on Verve. Liquid vocals from one of the best.

'I'll Be Seeing You', by Sara Vaughn - recorded live at the Tivoli, Copenhagen, from 'Sassy Swings The Tivoli on Verve.

'Open Door', by Spyro Gyra from 'In Modern Times' on Telarc. Ear candy for those that would like to give their Klipschorns a workout with a modern slant on Jazz.

still a good thread, here are my fab five du jour

Clifford Brown and Max Roach at Basin Street (with Sonny Rollins)

Another Tracks of Kind of Blue (73-minute unedited studio session reel)

Miles Davis Sextet - '58 Sessions

Tina Brooks - Back to the Tracks

Ben Webster - Live at the Jazzhus Montmartre, Vol 1